Is Linuxmint really for seriously working people?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hanspb
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Is Linuxmint really for seriously working people?

Post by hanspb »

@Mike Acker: Darktable has local editing. Check out the current version 1.4.1 at www.darktable.org.
-----------------
http://hpbirkeland.com
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

hanspb wrote:@Mike Acker: Darktable has local editing. Check out the current version 1.4.1 at http://www.darktable.org.
that could be highly interesting. I just installed RECOLL which is a system search utility. as I have around 580GB on my hard drive these days I need a good search utility.

RECOLL indexed my entire hard drive. I took about 4 hours to do it but as that's done now it is supposed to keep itself up to date. I scheduled it to update at 10AM daily.

the interesting thins is RECOLL finds images immediatly as well for me -- if I have renamed the image with a suitable file name ( title ) .

I had kinda resisted data base type application programs for two reasons -- (1) I don't want it to hide my files in its own data base: i want to have the usual access via the folder program, and (2) added use of system resources

so it appears RECOLL is going to be a good addition here and I'll probably re-think the database thing. My brother is a Creative Suite addict; it would be interesting to see if this DarkTable could be an alternative for him. I really want to get him away from his Windmill.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
linux_rules
Level 4
Level 4

Post by linux_rules »

You guys will probably laugh but the fact is I consider Windows as a "offline" OS meaning you are not suppose to browse the web with it !!!

The last time I used Windows was 2008. From 2009 - present I am a full time Linux user.

I had purchased a hp scanner and a cannon printer back in 2005. These two didnt work under Linux. The printer was really a cheap one and it went bad so its no longer an issue. The scanner still works but I dont need to scan that often anymore. I have tested this scanner under Virtualbox WinXP guest and it works fine so that issue is solved too. As I said before I dont consider Windows secure enough to face the Internet so I just disable networking for the WinXP guest.
scryan

Post by scryan »

chris2kari wrote:I've been an admirer & proponent of Linux for 20 years. Sad to say DESKTOP LINUX is still a disaster.
Its fine for setting up a little server but I'm giving up on it as a desktop & switching to Macs for desktop.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Ehhh.

Windows is "easier", linux your going to have to learn something, because no one spent billions of dollars designing it to be used by uneducated users who don't want to learn about their system like windows did.

That said, I recently re-installed windows 7 on my laptop around the same time I installed mint, arch, ubuntu, kubuntu, gentoo, and maybe another distro or two (hopped around for a while :P). In windows, my touch pad was not properly supported (no settings adjustments), my SD card reader does not work, my wifi does not work and my resolution was not the native resolution. In linux ALL of my hardware was automatically detected and functioning. For a while I was using only linux because I had not had time to go through and fix all the issues with my bare windows install.

Since I actually LEARNED how linux works, sat down and read about the system I have had significantly LESS issues to fix in linux and they have all been easy to fix.
If your expecting to not know how your computer works, or you want nothing but copy paste terminal commands while ignoring their output YES linux is going to suck. If you work with it, it works with you WAY more then windows ever will. It actually respects your intelligence and treats you as an equal rather then keeping you in the dark while it does magic behind a curtain. If your not ready for that, it will be harder... But if you pay attention and learn it will be much easier. Its a different system, you have to act accordingly but that doesn't mean its not useable...

Really, the main issue with linux now is corporate support for home users, IE drivers for hardware and linux based software bundled along with windows and mac packages.
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

Mint Linux is DEFINATELY for seriously working people. I took on a job as a teacher at a Singapore based International school here in Indonesia. At the time I did not understand the Singaporean '(over)work ethic' in which if you are not on anti-depressants and haven't had a divorce you aren't working hard enough.

I was literally working 18 hours a day seven days a week with 100 responsibilities. It nearly killed me. One visit to the doctor and she immediately made me lie on the couch. I was not even to sit. This was before I said a word. She just took one look at me and made me lie down before I passed out. Then she asked my wife, "What is up with him? He can't stand! Why is he so near collapse?"
My wife explained the work I was doing. I was pumped up with a vitamin shot, signed off for two days (no arguments) and ordered to leave the job before I - quite literally - had a heart attack. I managed to escape after three months and get a much better job. Less money but waaaaaaayyyy better life.

Anyway, that tells you about the work situation. I was under white hot pressure and the paperwork was stupid - in every sense. I was using my little atom netbook as I was on the move hour by hour. Running Mint 13 KDE I had to do everything on that box - producing WP docs, handling images, OCR, presentations, cloud handing, video, even video editing. OK, for that I switched to the celeron running Mint 14 at the time.

The netbook and Mint did not let me down once save for my having to work out how to set the wifi. Turned out to be a single command line. The pace at the school was *insane.* I was used to delivering $200,000 worth of software in my past life and the pressure was intense. This school was all that *5! And less forgiving if you made a mistake too.

Believe me, if Mint was not up to handling real, day to day work, indeed, under pressure, I would have known it then! As it was my netbook was the most productive machine here. So, yeah, it's ready for real world work.

Never, ever again...
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs

Return to “Chat about Linux”