Tanglu: bringing Debian testing to the masses

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kurotsugi

Re: Tanglu: bringing Debian testing to the masses

Post by kurotsugi »

it might be good for us but not for debian. in frozen stage the testing is actually still going on. they just shift their focus on fixing RC bugs so that they could release a stable 'stable release'.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

kurotsugi wrote:it might be good for us but not for debian. in frozen stage the testing is actually still going on. they just shift their focus on fixing RC bugs so that they could release a stable 'stable release'.
There has been talk about changing things. I knew I had read it somewhere:
https://wiki.debian.org/Debate/JessieRe ... bleTesting
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

i was commenting about "split testing and jessie during freeze". the article didn't mention anything about it. I completely agree with the suggestion on that article, especially on 2 weeks freeze part :D
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

kurotsugi wrote:i was commenting about "split testing and jessie during freeze". the article didn't mention anything about it. I completely agree with the suggestion on that article, especially on 2 weeks freeze part :D
I think splitting would be a good idea unless they can shorten the freeze to just a few months. Just pointing out there are concerns about the long freeze and discussion about ways to change it.
kaizer

Tanglu

Post by kaizer »

Have you seen the new distribution called Tanglu http://www.tanglu.org/. For what I can see it looks really close from LMDE/Solydxk philosophy. I hope project will be able to collaborate a lot because they are all focusing on different WM and therefore do not really compete one with another:
LMDE Mate + cinnamon
SolydXK KDE + XFCE
Tanglu GNOME + KDE
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Tanglu

Post by karlchen »

Hello, kaizer.

It may have slipped your attention. But there is already a thread discussing Tanglu: bringing Debian testing to the masses. Monsta was a little faster in reporting than you. cf. here.
Your post will be moved to the existing thread. There is no real point in having two simultaneous threads discussing Tanglu in the Linux Mint forum.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

I hope this project takes off. Looks very interesting.
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Tanglu works really very well. Now, instead of keep making more and more distributions derived from Debian, perhaps, is a mere suggestion, it would be better to make a better distribution, instead of having so much......

I have no doubt, that if the people who make Tanglu, along with the people who make SolydXK and the people themselves of Linux Mint Debian Edition are put together, would make a great distribution. There are already too many Debian derived Linux ecosystem, it's time to put some order in the house of the penguin. Greetings to All.-
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Don't you think that Tanglu LMDE and SolydXK are really different?
2 are based on Testing and Tanglu is based on stable. LMDE and SolydXK don't use the same desktop managers... :wink:
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

killer de bug wrote:Tanglu is based on stable.
From Tanglu FAQ:
Is Tanglu 1.0 based on Debian Testing or Unstable?

It's neither. While the majority of packages comes from Testing, a significantly large amount is taken from Unstable. A few packages even trace back to Debian Experimental. When building this release we tried to get the technically best constellation of packages, including newer versions where it made sense. Using the versions from Testing as primary choice has the advantage that these versions already received some testing in Debian before they landed in Tanglu.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

The info at Tanglu's FAQ page leads me to believe that Tanglu won't really be like LMDE and SolydXK. Especially the parts about not having a default desktop environment and not heavily modifying software ("...we want the user to have the look and feel intended by the original software developer...").
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

And looks like it's not rolling:
With Tanglu we want to build a distribution which provides a Debian experience for desktop users, Linux newbies and users who want up-to-date software and no rolling release.
kaizer

Post by kaizer »

An article comparing debiqn/LMDE/SolydXK/Tanglu:
http://www.zdnet.com/debian-mint-lmde-s ... 000026937/
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

kaizer wrote:An article comparing debiqn/LMDE/SolydXK/Tanglu:
Thanks, kaizer! Pretty good article.
Previous1

Post by Previous1 »

kaizer wrote:An article comparing debiqn/LMDE/SolydXK/Tanglu:
Why does everyone bash on the debian installer? If there's one thing about Debian that says "quality" to me, it's their installer. You can even take screenshots of every step....

Anyway perhaps Tanglu has the potential to become the better Ubuntu. If you want to contribute to the project, now's the time.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Previous1 wrote: Why does everyone bash on the debian installer? If there's one thing about Debian that says "quality" to me, it's their installer. You can even take screenshots of every step....
They all want shiny software. Text mode is not good looking for them so they bash it.
IMHO it's more reliable in text mode than in graphic mode. But it's only my opinion of course.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Previous1 wrote:Anyway perhaps Tanglu has the potential to become the better Ubuntu.
This may be true. I really hope Tanglu takes off. Nothing against Ubuntu -- the LTS releases have been great here.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

My concern with Tanglu is mixing those packages and sources. It sounds nice, but in practice can be a bear :(
I really like LMDE, but the UP system is too far apart and too huge. I think this is why so much interest has gone out of LMDE and moved elsewhere. And I don't think it needs to be that way.
Soldxk has really come along. I think much of the initial excitement and energy from LMDE ended up there.
Debian's claim to fame is Stable. Hard to find Stable Debian releases/spins, and that's a shame because once you've used Stable it becomes your go-to on machines you cannot afford to break. The installer is not as bad as it seemed to me years ago, but what hurts Debian is no codecs and lack of proprietary drivers. If you can find and install those Debian Stable is a rock. I hope that as time goes on Debian Testing will become more of a go-to version, if they could tighten up the breakage and bugs in Testing I think it will increasingly become popular.
Previous1

Post by Previous1 »

Hard to find Stable Debian releases/spins, and that's a shame because once you've used Stable it becomes your go-to on machines you cannot afford to break. The installer is not as bad as it seemed to me years ago, but what hurts Debian is no codecs and lack of proprietary drivers. If you can find and install those Debian Stable is a rock.
Well codecs and drivers aren't that hard with backports and deb-multimedia. What I think is a larger problem is the reluctance of debian developers to apply bugfixes from testing/sid (outside security).
I hope that as time goes on Debian Testing will become more of a go-to version, if they could tighten up the breakage and bugs in Testing I think it will increasingly become popular
Agreed. I hope the "always releasable" approach doesn't fall on deaf ears. Tanglu could help there, as it claims it will work closely with Debian.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

KBD47 wrote:My concern with Tanglu is mixing those packages and sources. It sounds nice, but in practice can be a bear :(
I agree with you. I will install it on a VB to see this during a few weeks/months. I hope it's well tested :)
KBD47 wrote:
Debian's claim to fame is Stable. Hard to find Stable Debian releases/spins, and that's a shame because once you've used Stable it becomes your go-to on machines you cannot afford to break.
As I said in an other thread, there is no point for a respin of Debian Stable. If you want Stable, use Debian Stable. But I don't see what would be the additional value of a respin of Debian Stable.
LMDE and SolydXK are based on UP, which add stability to Testing. That's their reason of existing. But a respin of Debian Stable... Sorry I really don't see the point. :wink:

Return to “Chat about Linux”