Tanglu: bringing Debian testing to the masses

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
anandrkris

Tanglu: bringing Debian testing to the masses

Post by anandrkris »

http://lwn.net/Articles/546584/

Tanglu OS a true Ubuntu Killer
Here is a new Project from Debian Developers who Aim to have a Fully Debian Based OS that is more up to date then Debian but will be intree Unlike Ubuntu! and they also need your help in making it happen

http://www.tanglu.org/

"Do you plan to heavily modify the software you ship?"

"No, we want the user to have the look and feel intended by the original software developer. If we believe upstream isn't doing a good job we will talk to upstream first to find a solution which works for everyone. If this will not work in rare cases, we may decide to use a different upstream. We want to avoid in-house solutions, and everything developed for Tanglu will be available for other distributions too."

"It's based on Debian, will it have long feature freezes?
No, we are setting up our own software archive so our users get the lastest software that we believe is stable enough."

http://www.tanglu.org/faq

"Tanglu will include proprietary firmware and it will allow the easy installation of some proprietary software packages (although they will not be installed by default). Both of those inclusions are not permitted in Debian itself, which is one of the reasons Tanglu was started as an outside effort."

http://lwn.net/Articles/546584/

How you can Contribute to Tanglu
http://www.tanglu.org/contribute

Maybe quite old, but came across this only recently and hence sharing it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
teatime

Re: Tanglu: bringing Debian testing to the masses

Post by teatime »

The first time as I saw Tanglu I was interested in but as soon I realized that it should be another distribution which should be based on Ubuntu I lost my interest. All this steps are not necassary if Ubuntu/Canonical works better together with upstream and do not do their own forks or invent counter technology to move forward. (IMHO).
LinuxGamer2013

Post by LinuxGamer2013 »

heres their Google+ page this is going to be the like the fedora of Debian and i really want to see a Linux Mint based off this OS they even are going to have like Personal repo's etc and their GPU drivers are going to be the most up to date to the kernel this is going to be a really cool debian based Linux and it is going to Kick ass for Gamers!! maybe Linux Mint can pick this one up as Ubuntu only has 9 mo's of support

https://plus.google.com/communities/115 ... 2425616130
Nilla Wafer

Post by Nilla Wafer »

teatime wrote:The first time as I saw Tanglu I was interested in but as soon I realized that it should be another distribution which should be based on Ubuntu I lost my interest. All this steps are not necassary if Ubuntu/Canonical works better together with upstream and do not do their own forks or invent counter technology to move forward. (IMHO).
LOL it's not based on Ubuntu. It will make Debian easy by using non-free firmware, the Ubiquity installer and "Ubuntu kernel" at first, but expects to be closer to Debian and maintain compatibility with Debian, unlike Ubuntu (and Mint editions based on Ubuntu).
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

anandrkris wrote:Tanglu OS a true Ubuntu Killer
Headlines like this one are a true Killer for anyone who've seen them at least a couple of times :)
anandrkris wrote:"It's based on Debian, will it have long feature freezes?
No, we are setting up our own software archive so our users get the lastest software that we believe is stable enough."
Sounds good. A stable enough Testing cut, like LMDE or SolydXK. They'll need enough manpower to test it though.
teatime

Post by teatime »

Nilla Wafer wrote:
teatime wrote:The first time as I saw Tanglu I was interested in but as soon I realized that it should be another distribution which should be based on Ubuntu I lost my interest. All this steps are not necassary if Ubuntu/Canonical works better together with upstream and do not do their own forks or invent counter technology to move forward. (IMHO).
LOL it's not based on Ubuntu. It will make Debian easy by using non-free firmware, the Ubiquity installer and "Ubuntu kernel" at first, but expects to be closer to Debian and maintain compatibility with Debian, unlike Ubuntu (and Mint editions based on Ubuntu).
Ok thanks (wear now the brown paper bag) - the same you can do with mint :wink:
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Debian wiki also has some info on Tanglu.
The overall vision is to have the Tanglu release used together with DebianStable, where DebianStable can run on servers and the Tanglu releases provide newer packages for end-user devices, even while DebianTesting is undergoing a freeze.

In short, you can think of Tanglu as a community-maintained Ubuntu alternative.
And there are [url=http://lists.tanglu.org/pipermail/tanglu-devel/2013-August/000295.html]live images available[/url]. Use the second link to get them (warning, the download speed may be quite low).
The installation is not possible yet:
The images currently are live-ONLY and have no installer on them
BTW, their [url=http://archive.tanglu.org/tanglu/]archive[/url] apparently has packages not only from Testing, but also from Unstable. E.g. apt 0.9.11.1 (which isn't in Testing yet), Cinnamon (not present in Testing at all - only in Unstable), wine-unstable (also only in Unstable).
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Note that it is a great project. But, the big problem is going too slow !! Still no official images, and what little there is not installable. It looks interesting, but is too slow !!

I do not think that will compete directly with Ubuntu and their derivatives, but rather I think it will be some stiff competition between LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition), Tanglu Linux, Point Linux and SolydXK Linux. We'll see who wins, will definitely be a difficult competition !!!! Greetings.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

They couldn't make the Debian installer work for some reason and... decided to use LMDE installer. :)
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Ill stick with LMDE, thank you.
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Their site is still WIP (and it was a few days ago). I'm always interested in Debian based distros but still is too early to say anything about Tanglu. So I will keep my opinion at least for a few more months.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

testing will be frozen around the end of this year. it might be interesting to use their repo in LMDE
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Incidentally, even LMDE edition is just out. :D Of course, LMDE has no KDE edition. So this is good alternative worth exploring? Any experiences?
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I think Debian should split Testing and Jessie at the moment of the freeze, letting Testing continue while making Jessie completely Stable. I believe Wheezy was in freeze for about a year, which is a long time to tie down Testing.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

KBD47 wrote:I think Debian should split Testing and Jessie at the moment of the freeze, letting Testing continue while making Jessie completely Stable.
You forgot to tell what you need that for. :)
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

upon reading the release announcement...I found that the distro is supported only for one month :lol:
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

kurotsugi wrote:upon reading the release announcement...I found that the distro is supported only for one month :lol:
Don't panic.
Tanglu 1.0 (Aequorea Victoria) will be supported for one month after the next version of Tanglu is released.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Monsta wrote:
KBD47 wrote:I think Debian should split Testing and Jessie at the moment of the freeze, letting Testing continue while making Jessie completely Stable.
You forgot to tell what you need that for. :)
That's what Testing is about, trying out software. Stopping it for a year or so seems a waste. I have in mind regular Debian here rather than LMDE.

Return to “Chat about Linux”