Unofficial LMDE KDE Live DVD: UP4 / 201208

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Schoelje

Re: Unofficial LMDE KDE Live DVD: final UP4 version - 201207

Post by Schoelje »

My SP has some problems so I won't be able to upload the iso's to my site.
Until then: no direct downloads.

In the mean time, I found some issues:
1. I was missing package system-config-printer-kde (no printer configuration in System Settings)

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install system-config-printer-kde && sudo apt-get install cups-pdf --reinstall
2. Quassel should auto-connect to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat on irc.spotchat.org but it doesn't, although I doubt that anyone had noticed that.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Schoelje wrote:My SP has some problems so I won't be able to upload the iso's to my site.
Until then: no direct downloads.

In the mean time, I found some issues:
1. I was missing package system-config-printer-kde (no printer configuration in System Settings)

sudo apt-get install system-config-printer-kde && sudo apt-get install cups-pdf --reinstall
2. Quassel should auto-connect to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat on irc.spotchat.org but it doesn't, although I doubt that anyone had noticed that.
Does this mean you're spinning up a new iso? If so I'll stop Ktorrent and wait for a new torrent file so I'm helping seed it.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Well, I'm in doubt there.
I'd like to make it all perfect (if that is possible) but it'll take a few more days to build and test the next version.
If there are more people in favor for a new release, I will build one, but for the moment I think it is better to use the current version and run the code above to install the printer configuration app.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

That's what I was thinking since you did provide the fix code. I'm coming up on 39% complete so as Larry Norman would say I'll just let that tape keep roillin'.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

i could never find those 2 :D
- don't have a printer;
- always bring over quassel-irc.org from other installs.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

My wife wants me to fix the printer and I don't IRC...so I'm not a good tester either ;)
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

An update to my previous post. I was able to successfully install the ATI proprietary driver for my ATI Radeon HD4200 with no issues whatsoever. I've now installed the printer configuration fix you provided above, so my system is running with no known glitches whatsoever. In a few days I may give switching to the Debian Testing repos a try. Or I may just stick with update packs. I'm undecided at this point as the system is so stable as is.

Here's a screenshot. Click to view larger image:

Mint Cinnamon 20.1
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Hope you don't mind Schoelje, but on the outside chance that Clem might read this thread I would like to strongly recommend to him that he add you to the team to head up an official community edition of LMDE KDE. You are obviously willing to put in the time to make it happen, and have done an excellent job with this spin of LMDE. I think if Clem would give this .iso a run-through he would be pleased to see what you've done for those of us who wanted a KDE version of LMDE.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Thanks for the compliments. Indeed, it took a lot of time (I remember my kids and wife mentioning that once or twice...) and one or more strong phrases (not for the children) so I'm very happy with all the help and the positive response!
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Direct downloads are available again and I've added md5sums for the iso's.
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

With 8 connected, it's going pretty zippy this morning.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Wow! We can multiquote in replies here! Does anyone know when that got turned on? I'd completely missed it until I was scrolling through history to verify how tdockery97 spells his name and saw the Quote buttons on the posts.This makes replying so much easier! Thanks clem & co!
zerozero wrote:i could never find those 2 :D
- don't have a printer;
- always bring over quassel-irc.org from other installs.
I won't be able to test those two much myself since the only printer I use is cups and it's been years since I've been on IRC.
tdockery97 wrote:An update to my previous post. I was able to successfully install the ATI proprietary driver for my ATI Radeon HD4200 with no issues whatsoever. I've now installed the printer configuration fix you provided above, so my system is running with no known glitches whatsoever. In a few days I may give switching to the Debian Testing repos a try. Or I may just stick with update packs. I'm undecided at this point as the system is so stable as is.

Here's a screenshot. Click to view larger image:
Glad to hear you got your video drivers installed so easily. I like how your desktop looks, but then how can you go wrong with an adorable feline? I'm hoping clem sees how popular this respin is and officially brings it into the community. I've seen several requests for this very variation on Mint since LMDE + KDE was mentioned as a possibility in the wake of the aborted Mint 11 KDE. I've seen a nice amount of traffic hitting my blog post about it (some coming from this thread) and clicks this way from people looking to check it out.
Schoelje wrote:Direct downloads are available again and I've added md5sums for the iso's.
Thank you! I was meaning to ask about md5sums to verify what I get.
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

Schoelje, I just want to say that I've been on an extended KDE tour for some time, and your project installs and operates smoother than very many I've tried. I've gone through my usual finagling around to get everything exactly the way I like it and tried everything I usually use and it all works (except the tiny thing below). There hasn't been a single freeze or crash or any bad thing, so far. It's great! You should be very proud of yourself. :D

This is no big deal to me, but just so you know: In Desktop Settings, after hitting Apply, you have to minimize before new wallpaper appears on the desktop. Doesn't it usually pop up right away? I think so.

Now if I can get my sound working, all will be well. This is a new computer and it's really confusing me.

Also FYI, your site was down for a while and I couldn't get the torrent back up, but it's going okay right now.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

@Adelante:
What kind of wallpaper are you using? I use the slideshow and I get an immediate wallpaper change on both Apply and OK, regardless what version of KDE 4 I'm running. (I'm currently running KDE 4.8.4 from Testing.) I switched to a single image for my wallpaper and it did change on clicking Apply, and I confirmed that behavior in a VM running Mint 12 KDE. I can't confirm in LMDE KDE until I snag the ISO again but it should definitely change immediately.
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

BostonPeng, it was all wallpaper from the desktop settings thing, single image only at one time. It doesn't bother me, though. I was just looking for some little nit to pick to give feedback and it was the only one I could find. :P
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Ah, ok. I'm sure Schoelje will see it and see what he can do to get it resolved. Even the tiniest nits can be a turn off for new users looking for reasons to not like a different DE. :lol:
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Adelante wrote:This is no big deal to me, but just so you know: In Desktop Settings, after hitting Apply, you have to minimize before new wallpaper appears on the desktop. Doesn't it usually pop up right away? I think so.
I cannot reproduce what you describe here: hitting apply changes the desktop immediately. I've tested with nouveau and nvidia drivers.

This is a wild shot, but...what graphics card do you have and what drivers do you use?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Schoelje wrote: This is a wild shot, but...what graphics card do you have and what drivers do you use?
i was going to ask exactly the same :D
- with nvidia (system updated to testing, installed in tha metal);
- vanilla system (virtualized);
>> can't reproduce that.
lahirdenganselamat
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lahirdenganselamat »

Hi again, I've finished download and install. The live session was great, the install was smooth, but I ended with unbootable system.

here's the case:
- I download via torrent, recheck the md5, all good, then I make live USB using unetbootin on my Katya.
- I boot up the USB, see that the system is great, then I try to install
- On the "install grub" part, I uncheck that because I want to use grub installed on my katya. and the install process continue.
- I boot my katya, run

safri@safri-1215B:~$ sudo update-grub
[sudo] password for safri: 
Generating grub.cfg ...
using custom appearance settings
Found background image: bebas.png
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Found Windows 7 (loader) on /dev/sda3
Found Linux Mint Debian Edition (1) on /dev/sda6
done
safri@safri-1215B:~$ 
- then I reboot and hit enter on LMDE in the grub

and all i got is this.

this is my inxi (on katya), I can to boot on live USB to add inxi from live LMDE KDE if needed

safri@safri-1215B:~$ inxi -Fx
System:    Host: safri-1215B Kernel: 2.6.38-8-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.5.2) 
           Desktop: Gnome 2.32.1 Distro: Linux Mint 11 Katya
Machine:   System: ASUSTeK (portable) product: 1215B version: x.x
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: 1215B version: x.xx Bios: American Megatrends version: 0503 date: 11/30/2011
CPU:       Dual core AMD E-350 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 6399.42 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: ATI Device 9802 bus-ID: 00:01.0 
           X.Org: 1.10.1 drivers: ati,fglrx (unloaded: vesa,fbdev,radeon) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 6300 series Graphics GLX Version: 4.1.10665 - CPC Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1: ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver: HDA Intel bus-ID: 00:14.2 Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.23
           Card-2: ATI Device 1314 driver: HDA Intel bus-ID: 00:01.1
Network:   Card: Broadcom BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller driver: brcm80211 bus-ID: 01:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: down mac: 48:5d:60:b5:e8:a2
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (61.9% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST9320325AS size: 320.1GB temp: 40C 
Partition: ID: / size: 18G used: 7.5G (46%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 45G used: 35G (81%) fs: ext4 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 69.2C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 178 Uptime: 54 min Memory: 886.8/3565.0MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.5.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.5 
safri@safri-1215B:~$ 
lahirdenganselamat
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lahirdenganselamat »

I boot on Live USB and reinstall the OS. Now it works :D. So i think my problem caused by not selecting to install grub :D.

the next is on Firefox, my ff didnt have default search engine on search bar (so I've to add manually using "add to search bar" add on)

ah, I edit this post to add this:
can I have icon only task manager on this KDE? its like dockbarx on gnome, or taskmanager on windows 7(dunno its called task bar or taskmanager). I still cant find it on synaptic..

my wireless card detected nicely (bcm 4313) and work great on my home wifi. I think this system is a dang great..
I haven't test 2 thing:
- copy a big files from hdd to USB flash using dolphin (Kubuntu 12.04 often fail to do that task, its just unfinished), and that flash is in good condition
- use the networkmanager to connect to my university hotspot (Kubuntu 12.04 won't connect to that AP but able to connect on other AP)
Last edited by lahirdenganselamat on Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Chat about Linux”