Unofficial LMDE KDE Live DVD: UP4 / 201208

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BostonPeng

Re: Unofficial LMDE KDE Live DVD: final UP4 version - 201207

Post by BostonPeng »

I finally fired up the LiveUSB the other night to show a friend and I have to say I really like what I'm seeing. I can't wait to see the new changes and take the plymouth theme for a spin.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Schoelje wrote: So, just to let you know I'm still on schedule: ready for download at the end of next week.
waiting 8)
TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TeaSwigger »

Hello Schoelje. Thank you for undertaking this project. With the understanding that I'm not a very advanced user, do not know programming, have a terrible memory anyway and haven't used a Debian-based system since... before KDE 4x at least, I'm happy to offer any reports of issues, observations and suggestions I can, which you'll have to judge the applicability of.

The live CD and installation were successful (in spite of the redoubtable will of NVIDIA). There were no issues with the installer at all.

The sound card is ASUS Xonar Essence ST (quality sound capture and editing is a requirement). Previously, in the 'buntu based edition, one could only access advanced controls in ALSAmixer. In LMDE KDE here, no controls but the master volume and capture levels are available in ALSAmixer and it is reporting the chip as "Phonon." This could prove a problem.

Unfortunately, my foolishly forgetting most everything about managing user accounts from command line only has become a real nuisance because the feature-full and reasonably intuitive user management module kcm-userconfig in the KDE control center of the 'buntu editions isn't available here and KUser is not a substitute. If I may, I would recommend that the module be adapted for use in LMDE KDE.

GTK apps are ignoring QtCurve settings, retaining (presumably) oxygen-gtk even after installing and selecting the relevant QtCurve packages and settings. A nuisance, since I have to use some non-KDE apps a lot (Firefox, Thunderbird, GIMP, Zim and Bluefish... which reminds me, I forgot to instal and try Bluefish...).

While I understand your wanting apps to conform to Mint KDE 13, it has an overall satisfactory package selection but it is my impression that Mint devs may not be invested in using KDE to the point of perhaps having the most optimal selection possible. So I understand your having some divergence with it. I like and use kid3 and soundKonverter. It's not a big issue with me though since they are readily available.

Again, thank you and I'll report if anything else comes to mind.
“You can make a strong business case for equality but not everyone wants to hear it.” - Prof. Kate Pickett

Mint 20.2 xfce w/nemo - AMD A10 7700K APU - spdif to Bifrost DAC - Dell U2415
some favs: Zim, deadbeef, kid3, gimp, artha, deluge, handbrake, mc
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

I have installed userconfig, but that was not stable. Although I know some programming, to port it to Debian is up to its programmers. The stable GUI in KDE is still kuser. You are of course free to install any user management tool you like.

Any problems with pulseaudio (like I had): just remove it.

Code: Select all

apt-get purge pulseaudio*

GTK and QT issues might be caused by a system upgrade where /home still has the old KDE configuration.
I had that once and I simply deleted my .kde directory.

rm -rv $HOME/.kde
LMDE KDE contains a fix for Amarok changing your Plasma Desktop theme, so you have to copy an additional file from the skel directory:

cp -rv /etc/skel/.kde $HOME
TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TeaSwigger »

Thank you for the response and suggestions.

Yes, I had started with a fresh /home directory (new hard drive).

My user's /tmp size is only 700-odd mb despite having more than 5 free gb on the / root partition and always more than 3 free gb in memory. Does that sound normal?

Probably a permissions gaffe on my part, but when I went to open an audio CD in Dolphin, I received an error instead that "Device does not have read access for this account. Check the read permissions on the device." User is in group cdrom, what am I missing? The disc can be accessed fine by soundKonverter.
“You can make a strong business case for equality but not everyone wants to hear it.” - Prof. Kate Pickett

Mint 20.2 xfce w/nemo - AMD A10 7700K APU - spdif to Bifrost DAC - Dell U2415
some favs: Zim, deadbeef, kid3, gimp, artha, deluge, handbrake, mc
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

First, I am glad to see some one take up a true DebMint edition... interested to give it a spin.... while Debian posses issues *for me for the way I use and operate, it will be intersting to see how this works out... I ultimately chose to go a different route and spin my own distro for my own needs, personal and work. Mainly due at the time to the limbo KMint seemed to be in, and still is it appears.....I've pulled the ISO, will put it on my NAS which has built in torrent, and will give it a whirl.... but I have to ask in regards to this.....
Schoelje wrote:Some things have changed:
  • * The extra applications were removed (to stay as close as possible to Linux Mint KDE).
Does this include sgfxi? If so why? I think you need to include this for Jane User to install nVidia drivers. The nVidia installer especially on Debian has known rough spots, and anything that makes this process go smoother, quicker, reliable, etc. is needed. It also is more in line with the "'Mint[y]' Approach" as I view it.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about trying to keep only to the programs that KMint installs, include more if you want. Thats been one of my peeves for a long time... My choice is always fill'r up! More is better.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

@TeaSwigger
I don't have much experience in that regard but it definately sounds like a permissions issue.
The only thing I know that I always use systemrescueCD (http://www.sysresccd.org) to prepare a new system.
I don't think it matters but old habits die hard, they say.

Have you checked the md5sum for the iso?
Have you tried looking for answers on fora specific to your hardware/system?
Have you tried the regular LMDE or the new Mint Maya KDE?

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you, but these kind of issues are very hard to tackle.
Let us know if and how you solved this for other users to benefit from.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

@rec9140
I've removed sgfxi for the following reason: since I included plymouth, I get a startpar error when shutting down the system (but shuts down nonetheless).
It seems to be a known error and even in this forum it is mentioned once or twice but without a solution I'm sorry to say.
When running sgfxi the process halts on this error message and the nvidia drivers are not installed.
On the other hand, installing the drivers from the repository works very well (my system is running my latest LMDE KDE with these drivers) so I could include this simple script in the distribution.

The error message:

startpar: services(s) returned failure: live-installer failed
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=189&t=93836
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1979
http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=189&t=89097

Install Nvidia drivers

#!/bin/bash
# Check if the dkms package is installed and remove when it is
if dpkg-query -l "nvidia-kernel-dkms" | grep '^ii' 2>&1 > /dev/null ; then
    echo "========================================"
    echo "First remove the old Nvidia drivers"
    sudo apt-get -y --force-yes remove nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-glx
fi
clear
echo "Install and configure the Nvidia drivers"
sudo apt-get -y --force-yes install nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-glx build-essential nvidia-settings nvidia-xconfig
sudo nvidia-xconfig
sudo echo "blacklist nouveau" > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf
clear
echo "Done - Reboot your system"
Any improvements on this script are very welcome.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

nvidia and ati are the responsible for the most part of the breakages we saw in the last testing cycle. although nvidia does a better job supporting linux is way far from perfect and using their proprietary blob means, in every kernel/driver update, uncertainty regarding the next boot.

that script looks good but fortunately nvidia has legacy support so atm you have 4 drivers for 4 different type of cards
http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDr ... er_version
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Yes, you are right.
As it seems, I've been hacking the live-installer (and mailed the developer about it): http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=106318
sgfxi did not install because of a startpar error on live-installer...some residual symlinks in the rc*.d directories.
So, just a minute ago I installed the nvidia drivers with sgfxi without a problem!

I'm finishing testing on the next release this evening (hopefully) and I will post the new iso's as soon as possible.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Schoelje wrote: I'm finishing testing on the next release this evening (hopefully) and I will post the new iso's as soon as possible.
i have all weekend free :D
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

I have my last DVD in the house reserved :D
Schoelje

Re: Unofficial LMDE KDE Live DVD: UP4 / 201208

Post by Schoelje »

I just uploaded the iso files of the unofficial LMDE KDE 201208 release.
At the moment I'm uploading them to my site but that's going to take a while.
Check out the beginning of this thread for the details and let me know how it goes.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi Schoelje,

Congrats on taking the initiative to bringing KDE to LMDE users. I can't promise you anything regarding maintenance and as you probably know there's much more to a release and an edition than just the production and quality of the ISO, but at the very least we'll help you with the issues as much as we can and we'll learn from you wherever we see material and ideas that can improve our main KDE edition.

I wasn't aware you were doing this when hacking the code for live-installer :) Another reason we should meet on the IRC and get KDE/KDM support integrated within the installer as soon as possible.

As for UP5 it's coming. The archive was prepared earlier this week. Many things changed in Mint 13 though package-wise so we'll need to update all that as well in LMDE and the mirroring of UP4 was a catastrophe so we'll want to redefine our relationship with our mirrors and how they sync with us before opening up UP5. Depending on how it's designed this might or might not delay it going towards incoming though.
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

I'm not getting the download from the 64-bit torrent, Schoelje, just so you know. I've been trying for about an hour, so far.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

@clem:
Thank you for popping in here and thank you for offering to work with Schoelje where you can on this respin. We've loved seeing how hard he's been working to make his DVD even better and even if it doesn't get adopted as an official Mint release this user is very happy to see that you're not discouraging him from continuing his labors. As I'm sure you've seen from several of us in this thread I'd love to see an upgrade path from LMDE to LMDE KDE although I know if I want to install Schoelje's repsin I need to do a nuke and pave, and that's probably the single reason why I haven't done it yet.

I look forward to see what UP5 has for us, and I suspect Schoelje's respin will only get better as the base LMDE does. I'm not big on Cinnamon or MATE but I definitely KDE on LMDE. For me it's a dream come true.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

@Adelante
I just added the direct downloads. Perhaps you may want to try that?
Direct download: LMDE KDE 32-bits (1.3Gb)
http://www.schoelje.nl/lmdekde/lmdekde32_201208.iso

Direct download: LMDE KDE 64-bits (1.3Gb)
http://www.schoelje.nl/lmdekde/lmdekde64_201208.iso

If anyone else has the same problem, I'd like to hear that. I'd may have to recreate the torrent file.

@BostonPeng
Thank you for your kind words. It would indeed be my greatest achievement if I get you to "nuke and pave" your system for my LMDE KDE ;)
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

The biggest problem with a nuke and pave Schoelje is the fact that it took me quite a bit of time to set my system like I want it and I tend to not have enough time with my laptop to get my everyday things done. Even if I create a list of installed apps to use to reinstall and use my existing LMDE /home folder it would still mean a day or two where I didn't get much done in terms of my daily tasks. But believe me, the more I see about your respin the more tempted I am to pull the trigger.
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

Thank you, Schoelje. Downloading direct now.
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

Okay. All set up and rolling. Install was quick (no updates). Everything is working correctly, so far as I can tell. If you get the torrent going, I can seed it. I have just one suggestion for the installer. Enlarge the font for us old geezers, please. :wink:

Return to “Chat about Linux”