Other distros?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Other distros?

Post by excollier »

I am currently trying PC-BSD in a VM to see if I can get on with it, just in case systemd leads to problems....SoldK BE is my main install, but I started with Mint 13 Cinnamon a couple of years ago as my first escape from Windows. I have gone through many Debian based distros in that time, #! being one of my favourites.
Puppy variants are a favourite too.
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I kept my Debian Jesse install with Gnome Shell. Despite all the systemd controversy it is great! Jesse has been very dependable for the couple of months I have been running it.
JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

Debian seems to be a prety beast system thus far. I really don't care about the systemd or whatever bologna that entails. I have a working system, why change that? I feel that a lot of Linux users get their panties in a knot when someone criticizes their ethics and morals and other areas of that sort. Don't get me wrong, I have ethics and morals about how my computer should be too, but not to the same extent as some.

Other than Debian and Mint, I hear that all of the folllowing are pretty cool

-Elementary OS
-Zorin OS
-SteamOS (an OS dedicated to gaming)
-TAILS
-Kali
-Manjaro
-Anything BSD (OpenSUSE I think is BSD).
-Arch
-Gentoo

Most of the later ones on the list require a LOT more work to get up and running. But, once you are there, its smooth sailing ahead. Elementary and Zorin OS are for Mac and Windows users respectively, correct me if I'm wrong. TAILS and Kali are for hackers (or security experts/security conscience people). So as you can see, there are LOTS of things to choose from. Never tried (or had a working version) any of the OS'es mentioned, but reading up on them they sound pretty awesome.

Debian and Mint are for me though. I may migrate from debian to arch in the future. Not enjoying debian as much as I thought I would due to some software issues, but thats just me. Hopefully this list helps!
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

JusTertii wrote:I was wondering if anyone has come across any other cool distros?
I gave up 'cool' for what works and it has to just work OOTB and my choice at the moment is

Code: Select all

System:    Host: my-kungfu Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Xfce 4.11.6
           Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
var
Level 3
Level 3

Post by var »

LMDE for me. I don't use other distro's to 'be cool' (I don't need to do that to be cool 8) )

I just want to get stuff done.
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

JohnBobSmith wrote:-Anything BSD (OpenSUSE I think is BSD).

OpenSUSE is not even cool. :mrgreen:

Let me help you to get your facts straight: Yes, BSD is cool indeed, it's the origin of vi and TCP/IP and a pretty lot of other cool things, but BSD is not "a distribution of Linux".

The first version of BSD was released in the mid-1970s as a distribution of the UNIX operating system and maintained by famous hackers like Bill Joy (University of Berkeley, hence the "B" in "BSD"). Still, it was not free as the UNIX license holders were not interested in giving away their well-paid operating system. It took the world a while to completely replace the commercial code parts by their own ones; 386BSD (1992) probably was the first BSD without any AT&T (Bell Labs) code. In 1993, both NetBSD and FreeBSD evolved from that code, two years after Linux ("FREAX") was first released to the wide public.

BSD is not Linux, Linux basically mimicks a younger clone (Minix) of a commercial UNIX system.
Of course it's cooler to use the original though. ;)
excollier wrote:I am currently trying PC-BSD in a VM to see if I can get on with it, just in case systemd leads to problems....
A good start. Welcome to another world.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

PC-BSD seems pretty stable, but chatting on their forum I am informed that I cannot install it to an extended partition as logicals (so that it can be dual booted with my Linux install). My Linux already takes three primary partitions so PC-BSD, unless it will go fully into one primary, is a non starter, as I don't have the knowledge to convert the hdd to GPT and I don't want to lose my Linux just yet.
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

AFAIK conversion to GPT requires repartitioning (thus, formatting). But I'm not on the right machine to verify this currently.
var
Level 3
Level 3

Post by var »

/dev/urandom wrote: BSD is not Linux, Linux basically mimicks a younger clone (Minix) of a commercial UNIX system.
Of course it's cooler to use the original though. ;)
Shame it has bad hardware and software support. It would make a great platform.
var
Level 3
Level 3

Post by var »

JohnBobSmith wrote: -Anything BSD (OpenSUSE I think is BSD).
You are pulling my leg right? :lol:
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

var wrote:Shame it has bad hardware and software support. It would make a great platform.
No, it has not. All operating systems have different hardware support - not necessarily worse. :)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

All this talk about BSD is bit irrelevant; this is Chat about Linux :)
Let's stay on topic and move discussion about merits of other operating systems to Open Chat.
Nilla Wafer

Post by Nilla Wafer »

I read rave reviews of a Lubuntu respin called LXLE and decided to dual-boot it with Mint. It's classy looking and fast, lots of extras. I have the 12.04 32-bit one and it completely rocks. Mint quality Lubuntu!

~nilla
darknetmatrix
Level 3
Level 3

Post by darknetmatrix »

Here i have mint17 and 17.1 and lmde but when i play with an other distro it is this one: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dmdc10il/
DMDc 3.5.5 (Testing) is a distro based on Debian Testing and MATE 1.8.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

Hey drumBE, why DMDc? What does it offer that Debian testing with Mate doesn't?
dkstanson

Post by dkstanson »

I didn't play with Linux pretty much but Ubuntu is a great distro for me, mostly for easy package management. For server side, I'd prefer Centos instead.
tek_heretik

Post by tek_heretik »

Salix 14.1 Xfce is a blast, It's based on Slackware but it's like a Slackware for n00bs, it's fun to watch Sourcery auto-compile app installations, it has Gslapt too for binary package installs but you'll find yourself using Sourcery a fair bit. FYI, it's still systemd free, no barnacle as of yet, parts of barnacled are in Ubuntu and Mint already, the creep has begun.

Another non-barnacled alternative is PCLinuxOS, very user friendly, polished, lots of GUI user config tools, etc, the MATE edition is pretty cool once you change the appearance choices, that version is a little weird looking OOTB.
darknetmatrix
Level 3
Level 3

Post by darknetmatrix »

Neil Edmond wrote:Hey drumBE, why DMDc? What does it offer that Debian testing with Mate doesn't?
I see it as a replacement when lmde will be based on debian stable and i know, you can change it from stable to testing (lol, it is not even released) but that is not what the dev's had in mind i think.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

Yeah, I've been trying Salix XFCE too, seems very light and fast, no fuss or frills. Only in a VM at the moment - hope Slackware keep well away from sytemd. Someone has to!
JusTertii

Post by JusTertii »

Why the hating on systemd?

Doesn't Mint use it?

Return to “Chat about Linux”