make a distro?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Troyka

make a distro?

Post by Troyka »

ive been looking round for a way of creating a distro (re-spin re-mix ) and i have come across the very well made susu studio susestudio.com but ive not found anything even close for debian based distros there is Woof for puppy, and http://linuxcoe.sourceforge.net
given that open susu is a smaller userbase? i find it odd they can do such a good job but no other distros can.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: make a distro?

Post by all41 »

I do not believe you will find users that do not fancy having their own speciall distro, to fit their own special purpose.
If you create such a distro others will try it.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

I have been wanting to try this one out.
PCLinuxOS has a script called mylivecd, which allows the user to take a ‘snapshot’ of their current hard drive installation (all settings, applications, documents, etc.) and compress it into an ISO CD/DVD image. This allows easy backup of a user’s data and also makes it easy to create your own custom live CD/DVD.
http://www.pclinuxos.com/about/
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
scryan

Post by scryan »

PLEASE PLEASE, contribute to your favorite existing distro before "making your own"

I mean, if that is really what you want to do, this is linux. Do it, ignore me, be happy...
I could try and say it a thousand ways, and all of them would probably be taken wrongly. Fortunately it was already said better then I could by a moderate (trilby) over at the Arch linux forum in response to someone with a similar idea, aimed at the medical community... Obviously not everything applies directly but the core message is strong:
Trilby wrote:No worries - far better to be occasionally over enthusiastic, then never enthusiastic enough. There simply may be more productive ways to channel that enthusiasm: more productive both for you, your would-be users, and the rest of the arch community.

First, let me highlight the real problem with spin-off distros. You certainly could put together an installation iso with all the right stuff for a medical professional to put an arch-based system on their computer and start using it. But are you going to commit to maintaining it and doing all the hard work that really comes with maintaining a distrobution? If not, the best case scenario is that your distro would be a passing fad, and you'd get (probably less than) your 15 minutes of micro-fame. The more realistic scenario is that your distro would be just a fart in the wind - and as a result, so too would be your enthusiasm for contributing in other ways.

In contrast to all this, there are very productive ways to channel any such enthusiasm. A majority (if not all) of the great things about archlinux have come from one person scratching their own personal itch, then sharing the products with the community. This way they are giving back to the community - but it is not purely selfless: they are appreciated by the community. How small would be your target audience for the new distro? You'd tell a few collegues, and maybe one or two of them would share it with a few of theirs ... pretty small. But if you see software that could be useful to medical professionals that is lacking in archlinux and instead you make/improve AUR packages, or even set up an unofficial repo with the precompiled binaries, then any medical professional who searches the AUR can find your products.

Further benefits of this approach are that now your contribution will likely last much longer. There will be more users to benefit from it, and more to appreciate your contribution. And when you inevitably get too busy to maintain a few of the AUR packages, or the repo, there will be a much larger pool of potential volunteers to take over - thus preserving the 'legacy' of your contribution...
I understand wanting your own brand and something with your own logo on... But consider your efforts may go a lot further and make a more significant difference if you find ways to contribute to Mint, or your favorite distro. What would your distro do that they don't already? Are their ways to build that into the pre-existing platform and share it with the community? You may find more of an audience that way...
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Pre-requisites / Requirements:

A fairly firm understanding of Linux in general
A fairly firm understanding of Linux file hierarchy
Hours of time
A fairly powerful computer with tons of hard disk space (if you are going to do multiple builds).

http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtop ... 2#CONTENTS
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
nascar64
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nascar64 »

Wow good idea ed over ultimate edition forum and see theeMAn forum he will show you how to make ur own distro the easy way with TMOSb. 1.9 he has a complete way how to do.Ray
http://ultimateedition.info/
jahid

Post by jahid »

You can make respins of mint or ubuntu if you want...
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1784
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization

For being a respin or remix, your customization needs to exclude all the identity elements from the original, that's all...

Return to “Chat about Linux”