PAE Kernel

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
How-old!
Level 2
Level 2

PAE Kernel

Post by How-old! »

Xfce is a lightweight desktop environment which aims to be fast and low on system resources...
Cognisant of the above, one of the most curious decisions concerning the release of LM14/32bit has to be the restriction to PAE kernels; 64bit versions are no problem. I thought Clem lived in Ireland?! Only expected fraction of rich residents in e.g. USA to be installing 32bit on this/last year's machinery? Most folks I know will plump for something 10-to-2 years old, especially the 32bit Xfce version, maybe adding a new hard drive to cope with the extra bloat!
PAE is yet another leverage ploy by the wicked Wintel cartel? It adds nothing to the progress of the technology. Anyone finding difficulty setting up their conventional BIOS can always invite the six-year old from next door to do it for them. Of course, it will be possible to avoid the PAE fiasco by building one's own kit from carefully selected parts. The industry advises that they will continue to supply boards with conventional BIOS access for as long as the market requires. Strike a blow for freedom - Linux doesn't need PAE - leave the ready-built -doze boxes on the shelves. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. One step forward, two steps back.
Suppose it's never too late for the official board of management, even a third party(?), to issue a non-PAE version, at least for "low ... system resources" . No-one thinks badly of those willing to revise their opinions and strategies based on rational re-assessment of situations.
Just one more opinion since the blog page is already closed. Still my favourite distro.
[Moderator kindly relocate if you feel this is in an inappropriate thread. Thanks.]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sagirfahmid3

Re: PAE Kernel

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Your post makes no sense whatsoever...
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

This has been discussed thoroughly already in the PAE required to install Mint 14 topic. Please read up there for some more background, workarounds and alternatives.

Ubuntu doesn't support non-PAE hardware from its 12.10 release onwards, and as Linux Mint uses the Ubuntu kernels this has also impacted the Linux Mint 14 release. The Linux Mint 14 release window has not allowed the time to consider alternatives for this. So for now, Linux Mint recommends the LTS release (Linux Mint 13) for non-PAE hardware.

It is unfortunate for the users that are unlucky enough to have gotten non-PAE hardware in the past; only a select few Pentium M models don't have PAE, and all other x86 processors introduced since 1995 have PAE. That doesn't help you of course, so see the linked topic for help :wink:
mikemmm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mikemmm »

xenopeek wrote: It is unfortunate for the users that are unlucky enough to have gotten non-PAE hardware in the past; only a select few Pentium M models don't have PAE, and all other x86 processors introduced since 1995 have PAE. That doesn't help you of course, so see the linked topic for help :wink:
I don't believe that date is correct - I have a laptop bought in 2006 (with an AMD mobile Sempron 3000+ CPU) that will not accept PAE kernels.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

mikemmm wrote:I don't believe that date is correct - I have a laptop bought in 2006 (with an AMD mobile Sempron 3000+ CPU) that will not accept PAE kernels.
Run this and find out:

Code: Select all

cat /proc/cpuinfo |grep pae
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

@ mikemmm
Is this your processor ? : http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Mo ... KX2BX.html
You can see in CPUID tab : other features , this processor support Physical address extensions
PAE is different with 64-bit capability, check this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension
How-old!
Level 2
Level 2

Post by How-old! »

Thanks for the heads up, Vincent. I discovered that installation on a PAE board is all that is necessary. The HD can then be successfully(?) be transferred to a reasonably modern (post-~2000) non-PAE machine (but not, as you point out, any Pentium-M). So far it has worked on three boards as well as Package Manager additions. Presumably kernel updates are to be avoided!
My beef with the industry is their presumption that I should follow the lemming trail even though I've enough working systems from yesteryear to make Mint a most viable prospect for the foreseeable future. I do hope the clever guys will take up the challenge of deploying a non-PAE kernel, as have some of the smaller distros, notably Puppy.
Thanks again for helpful comments.t

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”