Mate or Cinnamon; which one is more safe to use online?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xpdin

Mate or Cinnamon; which one is more safe to use online?

Post by xpdin »

Hi,

Can someone tell with some details which one is more secure, safe to use online?

Thank you...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Mate or Cinnamon; which one is more safe to use online?

Post by Pjotr »

No difference at all. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
dXTC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dXTC »

As Pjotr said, there's no difference in security/online safety between MATE and Cinnamon versions of the same Linux distribution.

MATE and Cinnamon are different versions of the desktop environment -- the "layer" of a GNU/Linux operating system that controls and displays windows, forms, control panels, and other user interface elements. This layer has very little to do with computation or execution of programs; it's almost all about appearance. Most security issues occur in other layers-- application (e.g. Firefox) or kernel (Linux).
dXTC
-----
IT oldie, Linux newbie, and all-around goofy fellow.
dXTC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dXTC »

gmilo2 wrote:Browsing habits ... the user's susceptibility to falling prey to phishing, etc have far far more to do with online safety than the individual desktop does or would.
This is perhaps the most important layer of all. Thanks for pointing it out!
dXTC
-----
IT oldie, Linux newbie, and all-around goofy fellow.
SC23

Post by SC23 »

gmilo2 wrote:Browsing habits, what extensions/plugins are enabled in the browser, what scripts are allowed to run in said browser, the user's susceptibility to falling prey to phishing, etc have far far more to do with online safety than the individual desktop does or would.
^^^^^THIS^^^^^

I am a windows tech veteran. An old fart from the DOS days and still doing it today. I ran Vista with no AV, no anti-malware, no updates for around 2 years surfing, email, yada.. every single day.

Then one day my wife lost her usb drive at an airport and someone was kind enough to mail it back. Welp, in my book, thats a clean up the world and batten down the hatches event before I do anything with it. I loaded up AV, anti-malware, patched up, and then full scanned before I plugged it in to make sure it was clean.

Zero issues found on my machine. ZERO. Im not suggesting doing this as I am so in tune with my machines I can tell the little blips and miniscule pauses, when and where they are, and know when something isnt right. What I AM saying is that 99.99999% of the time, its where you go and what you do, not how well you are protected just like gmilo2 has said here.
var
Level 3
Level 3

Post by var »

This is why so many people have problems with their machines. Because most 'the general user' doesn't think about their habits online then blames the software for not working.

Some will say you are more safe by design using Linux because of the separation between root and user. I also use Vista occasionally and I have set up a separate admin account to alert me for passwords before anything is done. It's not the computer or the OS that determines your safety.

It's the link between chair and keyboard/mouse.
addverma

Post by addverma »

Convincing non technical people the importance of having an admin/root user separate from a normal user is difficult. Most of the problems occur because normal guys have admin/root privileges for their login ID. This causes a lot of grief. People just want things to work. That is why products like Anti Virus or internet security suites or firewall become so important. It is a hassle in everyday work for a non computer savy person to enter elevated privileges repeatedly. The case of windows vista which used to prompt on many trivial items was a case in point. The OS was good but got a bad name due to the fact that people got fed up with the prompts. Windows 7 which dialled down the prompts was a welcome relief.

Having said that the main risk as pointed to by the people in this forum is behaviour of users.

Now coming to flaws in the OS, kernel or libraries. That does play a part. But these days most of the applications have a silent update policy on by default. There is a downside to this to be sure. But for a normal computer user first of all reduce risky behaviour and follow common safe practices.
-------------------
Have a nice day
Amardeep

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”