Mint 17LTS and processor usage

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
k8wdx

Mint 17LTS and processor usage

Post by k8wdx »

I kind of noticed while Linux Mint 17 LTS uses less RAM than my windows 7 machine, Linux Mint uses a lot more processor than my Windows 7 machine, any reason for that? Example, same machine, Quad core 12 gigs of ram, Mint uses about 600mb of ram and about 12% processor, when the machine is at idle, doing nothing. open a web page or anything else, it jumps up to 25%, Windows 7, same machine, 2.3 gigs ram and about 2% idle and when I open a web page or anything it goes up to 8%. Why? just an observation. Thanks Tom
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint 17LTS and processor usage

Post by BigEasy »

Who knows why. My Mint 17 (to be correct 17.1) uses 175Mb of RAM and almost zero CPU when idle.
BTW, is it a bad thing when some page opened with more CPU power, not just 8% of it's? It is very interesting question. So not?
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
DeMus

Re: Mint 17LTS and processor usage

Post by DeMus »

Hi Tom, I can't give you an exact reason for it. It could be that Windows and Linux handle the amount of used ram in a different way.
Linux uses ram for all running processes and it keeps used programs in memory so in case you want to use it again, it is already in memory and therefore opens fast. Should you use more programs than the reserved space will be used by the programs you want to use and the whole reservation thing is gone.
It could be that Windows does the same, I don't know about that, but it calculates the used amount of ram including the reservation so the total amount of used memory is more.

Why Linux uses your CPU more than Windows does is very simple: Linux is fast and Windows is not. :lol: No, sorry, that was supposed to be funny. I don't know. Maybe some more processes are started at boot, although Windows also boots a long list of processes.
What video driver do you use for your graphics card? If, for example, in windows you use the official driver the manufacturer of the card delivers and in Linux you have a more general driver it could be that the CPU handles the graphics on your screen, thus increasing the amount of CPU power.
Have a look in your system monitor program to see which processes take a lot of CPU power. Maybe we can find out this way why and what.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”