Mint is irresponsible not patching BASH for all releases

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
x61-stand

Mint is irresponsible not patching BASH for all releases

Post by x61-stand »

Ever wonder why new distros keep popping up? Well, this is the reason boys. You have betrayed a bunch of people because of "corporate policy". Do the right thing and update the security repositories for all version of Mint.

Now that I need to perform a major upgrade, why the rainbows should I upgrade to Mint 17?!?! Your organization has just FAILED big time and you are in such denial you think hiding behind a release schedule and "wee told you this would happen" coproate lying bullshit is going to help things?

If I'm going to be required to download, compile & patch everything myself, why not go with one of the distros that takes responsibility for getting it right, or makes me take responsibility. The point of distros like Mint is that people don't have to work so hard. What I see is a bunch of people who have forgotten why they exist. Do you think all the linux newbies are going to read security news? I expect Linux to take a huge hit in security because of Ubuntu "corporate policy"

I DEMAND that you change your policy. The MSM is not yet aware of how you are throwing people under the bus here. I will make it a point to start calling MSM outlets to tell them. It took me two hours to wade through linux-land until I finally installed bash 4.3 fully patched.

Here are the instructions for updating Mint KDE 14, since the distro maintainers can't be bothered:
Download bash 4.3 source from https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/bash/bash-4.3.tar.gz , extract to some directory
Download all patches from https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/bash/bash-4.3-patches/ using filezilla or some FTP utility
Put the patches in the same direcory

run the following as root. Might as well run as root, your box has been wide open for the last 10 years.
sudo -i
cp /bin/bash ~/old_bash
cd <wherever you put things>/bash-4.3
find ../bash43-0?? -exec /bin/sh -c 'patch -p0 <{}' \;
./configure
perl -pi -e 's/prefix = \/usr\/local/prefix = /' ./Makefile
make
make install

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>END CODE
The commands save your old bash executable, apply patches to the new code, configure, edit the Makefile to install in /bin instead of /usr/local/bin because some ingenious idiot just KNOWS that you, a mere peon, would never dare to update your system's bash without using a distribution (HAR HAR!). Finally, it makes and installs. My MINT KDE 14 system appears to be running fine. Your mileage may vary.

So if you'll excuse me, I need to do some Linux shopping. PO
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Mint is irresponsible not patching BASH for all releases

Post by DrHu »

Waiting for an appropriate fix (that really fixes the problem) is not irresponsible

Having any single Linux distribution (not the kernel + apps) handle all their own security is just nuts
--Ubuntu or some distributions like Red Hat's Fedora might be able to handle it, as they have more resources and possibly more access to the areas that may be causing some issues

If the complaint here was about the BASH bug: it s overhyped to say that it is a real series problem
--it would mainly affect servers, not desktops, so most of us behind an ISP internet connection don't have anything to worry about and can easily wait for any upstream fixes as they have become available..

And just who is this MSM ( I would guess you men Microsoft or is it something/someone else ??)

A clue to why new Linux distributions tend to pop up over time is how people can create those distributions
--adding a new theme
--changing some start-up methods
--selecting some oddball (not FHS) setups
  • Might enable t\you call your Linux a new distribution, but unless it vastly outperforms or does something that is unique, it is similar enough to any other Linux distribution and indeed to any other wimp OS (windows, Icons, Mouse, Pointer ) that current exist: such as Windows or Apple's OS-X or Google's Android
--and probably the main reason is as an EGO boost to the author of the package (aka new distribution)
--the Linux distributions that work, are the ones that have over time maintained their positive results with the public and satisfied that public's computing needs via the multitude of OSS packages available .
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

The only MSM I'm aware of is the stuff I gave one of my horses once.

EDIT: Oh Wait, I get it now. MSM = Main Stream Media.

Okey dokey, tell the MSM about Linux Mint. Please.

If the general public knows or has even heard about Linux they associate it with Red Hat.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 40#p930626
x61-stand wrote:I DEMAND that you change your policy.
Good Luck with that.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

We sould also demand that MS provide vulnerability updates for obsolete XP and earlier
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Just ban this moron.
niowluka

Post by niowluka »

MartyMint wrote:Just ban this moron.
I'm a firm believer that Linux is a great OS. I'm also a firm believer that Linux is not for everyone. OP is a living proof of the latter.
Shunjoss

Post by Shunjoss »

x61-stand wrote:Ever wonder why new distros keep popping up? Well, this is the reason boys. You have betrayed a bunch of people because of "corporate policy". Do the right thing and update the security repositories for all version of Mint.
Is this a troll?
niowluka

Post by niowluka »

Shunjoss wrote:Is this a troll?
No:
MartyMint wrote:moron
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

I'm all for a good joke, or even a well-crafted troll job...

None was to be found in the original post.
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

WHAT??? You are running an unsupported, obsolete version of Linux Mint and you expect them to provide you with a bash update??? Mint is in no way irresponsible for not patching obsolete versions of Mint. Linux Mint announced a long time ago that Mint 14 support had ended!

Go back to Windows, install Windows XP or 98, and DEMAND that they provide you with security updates... I KNOW you won't get far!

WOW!!!
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, x61-stand.
  • Linux Mint is not going to backport bugfixes to obsolete Linux Mint versions which have passed the end of their supported life times.
  • Ubuntu is not going to backport bugfixes to obsolete Ubuntu versions which have passed the end of their supported life times.
  • OpenSuse is not going to backport bugfixes to obsolete OpenSuse versions which have passed the end of their supported life times.
  • Redhat is not going to backport bugfixes to obsolete Redhat versions which have passed the end of their supported life times.
  • Microsoft is not going to backport bugfixes to obsolete Windows versions which have passed the end of their supported life times.
Why the heck do you waste your and our time by returning to this forum after more than a year of silence for the sole purpose of blaming the Mint developer team for abiding by the same rule as all the others?!
Upgrading from Linux Mint 14 to Linux Mint 17 is for free, no upgrade fee has to be paid. So what are you whining about anyway?

Kind regards,
Karl
Last edited by karlchen on Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: had to rephrase a sentence because this is not x61-stand's first post, but his second
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Well said Karl +1
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

karlchen wrote: [*]Microsoft is not going to backport bugfixes to obsolete Windows versions which have passed the end of their supported life times.[/list]
So that's why I haven't seen a new service pack for my Win2K machine in ages. Who knew.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

x61-stand wrote:I will make it a point to start calling MSM outlets to tell them.
Need a quarter?

Honestly, in the time it took to princess about it and write this post, you could have upgraded to a supported LTS version of Linux mint.
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

x61-stand: So if you'll excuse me, I need to do some Linux shopping.

There are some good OS options out there. Check back in an tell us which one you like. Good Luck
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

lol . . . . .

herp-derp.jpg

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”