Linux mint support ends

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Joseph.

Linux mint support ends

Post by Joseph. »

I'am kind of dissapointed that they would keep linux 13 on for a while longer but I find it already obselete on the newer mainboard system
as I did try installing it and sure it did everything else but no network no how Am i suppose to connect when it dose not reconize the newer either network connection

but I do wish they would really update the the system requierment which I mean is which version is not supported on the newer mainboard
but right now I am using the LM 14 and no trouble what so ever and you going to end the soupport on that hmm and also LM 16 going to end why it runs great so I wish the developer would give it more life span
I understand LM 15 has eneded long before LM 14
But I do hope that the next version LM 17 will run way better than LM 15 for it was quiet buggy

Oh can anyone tell me why are the code name always change in the next version
is their something in the program or codeing that really makes a diffrence or is it tweaked so that the processor will process the code or kernel the way it is instructed to deploy the program
well hope everyone is having a great day

Cheers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
skywolfblue
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux mint support ends

Post by skywolfblue »

Joseph. wrote:but I do wish they would really update the the system requierment which I mean is which version is not supported on the newer mainboard
but right now I am using the LM 14 and no trouble what so ever and you going to end the soupport on that hmm and also LM 16 going to end why it runs great so I wish the developer would give it more life span
But I do hope that the next version LM 17 will run way better than LM 15 for it was quiet buggy
The ubuntu/mint support cycle actually strikes a pretty good balance in having some support, while not sinking enormous resources into supporting every single older version that the vast majority may no longer be using. When support ends, the OS doesn't mysteriously stop working, you could keep using LM14 forever if you so desire, you just wont get updates for it.

I'm quite confident that LM 17 will be a pretty solid release all around, and will be well supported for a long time.
Joseph. wrote:Oh can anyone tell me why are the code name always change in the next version
is their something in the program or codeing that really makes a diffrence or is it tweaked so that the processor will process the code or kernel the way it is instructed to deploy the program
well hope everyone is having a great day
The code name is little more then a label. "Olivia", "Petra", they are all just titles and don't mean that they're completely different OSs. It's common with many OSs, Mac OS names their versions after wild cats, Windows has code names for their OS versions like "longhorn" and "metro".
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

I have some sympathy for this as an ex-XP user - but am reconciled that Linux is just a different animal. It's a nuisance that it has to be fresh reinstalled every year or so (I'm much more concerned about third party software repos than about OS updates so "LTS" means nothing to me) but compared to reinstalling and reconfiguring Windows a full reinstall and reconfiguring of Mint is much quicker.

I don't think any Linux distro (set aside possibly Red Hat) has the "worker bees" on payroll to do the boring drudge work of maintaining a reliable rolling update model, so you take it as it is. On that basis, no complaints.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
Joseph.

Post by Joseph. »

The code name is little more then a label. "Olivia", "Petra", they are all just titles and don't mean that they're completely different OSs. It's common with many OSs, Mac OS names their versions after wild cats, Windows has code names for their OS versions like "longhorn" and "metro".

ok so then their still something in the way the program work as they do seem to be more responsive than the older version but that just what im exeperecing
how true that I can use the old version example like you said you can stil use LM 14 but just wonder will their be any hicup at all later on as I'm not a pro but just curious about security problem I know Linux are far more stable than any window

Well thanks for the feed back
Cheers
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

There are what are called "rolling" distros. They are regularly upgraded and you never need to reinstall for a point upgrade.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_release
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

This is why we have LMDE, :mrgreen:
EmpireITtech

Post by EmpireITtech »

LMDE is a rolling distro and can be looked at here >> http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php
One thing to note: Debian based OS's tend to require more Linux knowledge than others, like Ubuntu/Mint. Just word to the wise for ya :mrgreen:

As far as Ubuntu/Mint support cycles, really boils down to a simple choice - do you like being on the bleeding-edge and don't mind reinstalling every 6-9 months or do you want stability and only needing a reinstall every 2-5 years? Since they changed the support time cycles, that's why LM14 is supported until April 2014 whereas LM15 ended in January 2014.
benali72
Level 4
Level 4

Post by benali72 »

I support a flock of older computers, all running Mint 13 Xfce/MATE 32-bit. It works great for us. One reason I chose Mint 13 is its 5 year support window (2012 thru April 2017).

I'm not sure I understand the comment about having to install Linux every year or so. If you choose to install every new release, yes, you'll do an install once or even twice per year. We've chosen to keep our machines on Mint 13, so we won't do another install until 2017. That's one install every five years. We've had no problems using this approach.

Before Mint 13 we were on Ubuntu LTS. That worked well, too, until they changed the interface to Unity, which our users rejected.

Our goals are (1) stability and reliability (2) low maintenance and (3) ease of use. Mint 13 achieves all three for us admirably.

A rolling release system does not work for us because I'm afraid that, with our older equipment, a "silent udpate" might cause failure on our older boxes. Rolling updates are a great feature for many advanced computer users, but for us... no thanks.
isaach

Post by isaach »

Joseph. wrote:but right now I am using the LM 14 and no trouble what so ever and you going to end the soupport on that hmm and also LM 16 going to end why it runs great so I wish the developer would give it more life span
Mint (except LMDE) is based on Ubuntu using Ubuntu repositories for almost all packages, so it's not really Mint's call. Ubuntu switched from 18 months to 9 months support for non-Long Term Support releases with 13.04/Raring (which corresponds to Olivia/LM15), which is why LM 15 ended before LM 14. According to this thread they're going to switch to basing future versions on the most recent LTS rather than the most recent version, which means that all Linux Mint editions will essentially be LTS. Or at least the three editions between the about-to-be-released LTS and the next one.
Skara Brae

Post by Skara Brae »

benali72 wrote:I'm not sure I understand the comment about having to install Linux every year or so. If you choose to install every new release, yes, you'll do an install once or even twice per year.
I find it "wrong" to release a new version every X months. This computer I have now is a couple of years old, and for some reason, starting the install of "Mate 13" (the LTS) only gave me a black screen with a blinking cursor, while "Mate 13" installed fine on my previous (old) Athlon64-based machine. So, I ended up installing Mint 14 on my new PC, not a LTS.

This means that as of May I won't get updates anymore? Are updates not important? So, I will be forced to install a new Mint version? That sounds soooo MIcrosoft'ish.

XP was supported for 13 years (ok, I had to install it a couple of times, but that doesn't count :P ) : a lot longer than a meager 9 months. I mean--9 months??

Imagine having to install a new engine in your car every 9 months. Who would accept such a car?

So, I think I will be installing Mint 17, a LTS - no need to worry about installing yet a new version after just a "couple" of months.

If the Mint Project ever goes down the drain, then I will try Debian. I really don't want to be installing a new OS version every "couple" of months (or not even every year). I have 2 computers running Vista, and I won't have to worry about replacing it for another 4 years (I like Vista more than Win 7, so no Win 7 for me).

-oo-

Is it not more work to release a whole new version, than maintaining a rolling release distro?
clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

Skara Brae wrote:Is it not more work to release a whole new version, than maintaining a rolling release distro?
I use ArchLinux as well as Linux Mint, and it's quite a bit more work for maintainers to watch over a (truly) rolling release distribution than basing your releases off the Ubuntu development cycle.

Let's not forget that with a rolling release cycle, you also have to contend with upstream, which can change quicker than you can adapt, and introduce lots of new problems due to the fast flowing releases (problems often include people who haven't upgraded in ages, massive changes in API which have to be adapted to/worked around until a fix is found, GTK toolkits moving so bloody quickly...)
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Skara Brae wrote:Imagine having to install a new engine in your car every 9 months. Who would accept such a car?
Imagine getting a new car every 9 months. Sure the old one runs fine - but there is no substitute for that new OS smell.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

austin.texas wrote:
Skara Brae wrote:Imagine having to install a new engine in your car every 9 months. Who would accept such a car?
Imagine getting a new car every 9 months. Sure the old one runs fine - but there is no substitute for that new OS smell.
Heh, yeah. It's called a lease. And folks do it all the time these days. Never will understand it.

Now, back to the topic at hand. :)
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

It really comes down to choosing the right edition.
Currently Mint offers four basic options:
Fast: Reinstall every 6 months and enjoy all the new hotness and accept the extra work.
Slow: Pick an LTS release, use it till the next LTS in two years.
Even slower: Choose an LTS and use it till it runs out of support in 5 years.
LMDE: Semi rolling release but not as easy for non-technical users.
If the cycle you are on is too short for you it is because you chose unwisely.
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

benali72 wrote:...

I'm not sure I understand the comment about having to install Linux every year or so. If you choose to install every new release, yes, you'll do an install once or even twice per year. We've chosen to keep our machines on Mint 13, so we won't do another install until 2017. That's one install every five years. We've had no problems using this approach.
My comment was about the repositories. Whatever can be said about "LTS" support all my experience has been that in a year or so third party software stops being updated in the repo and you are using an old version of GIMP, VLC, LibreOffice, Firefox, whatever. I'm much more interested in the current versions of software I use than in keeping an OS going for years. Since I'm reinstalling to get the latest repo every year or so anyway, I don't care about "LTS".
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
benali72
Level 4
Level 4

Post by benali72 »

Thanks, I2K4, for the clarification. I understand what you're saying now. Yep, the repository programs don't move forward in maturing Linux releases, so if you want the latest stuff, you have to do constant upgrades. One guy I know uses Fedora for this reason, he likes always being on the current edge both with the distro and all his installed software. Maybe a rolling release would be ideal for this need? I don't know personally, as I'm stuck in "support world." Thanks for the feedback. Cheers.
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

Thanks for taking the point - I've got a "to do" about trying out Fedora on a thumb drive some time. I'm pretty happy with Mint 16. There are enough things going on with underlying Ubuntu this year that I'll probably sit out Mint 17, wait for Mint 18 and decide which is best for me next fall.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

There almost always PPA available if you want a particular applications latest version and enabling back-ports will bring in certain newer features as they are introduced. You can update the kernel if for some reason you need to.
You can do an install in place if you know the correct commands and I am pretty sure there is a guide to do just that somewhere on the Mint site.
bobafetthotmail

Post by bobafetthotmail »

I2k4 wrote:My comment was about the repositories. Whatever can be said about "LTS" support all my experience has been that in a year or so third party software stops being updated in the repo and you are using an old version of GIMP, VLC, LibreOffice, Firefox, whatever. I'm much more interested in the current versions of software I use than in keeping an OS going for years. Since I'm reinstalling to get the latest repo every year or so anyway, I don't care about "LTS".
Technically speaking, apart from A FEW programs, the versions in the repos are not really up-to date even at launch.
As a matter of course, you need to add a PPA for all the programs you care about even with non-LTS versions and usually the same devs do both the version for the LTS and the newer version.
Kernels can be updated manually with the same ease.

In LMDE it usually works fine just to download and install manually from the same repos. Most important stuff like say browser is kept updated. I just dislike cinnamon but can be swapped with XFCE without major issues.

I can't really stand Fedora. I just hate it for personal reasons.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”