How is IRC OP and forum moderators picked?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Domaldel

How is IRC OP and forum moderators picked?

Post by Domaldel »

Hello, I'd like to know more about how these individuals are chosen for their role and who oversees these roles in the community.
Any information would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
capivara
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How is IRC OP and forum moderators picked?

Post by capivara »

Why?
All my computers are in Mint condition.
Domaldel

Post by Domaldel »

Is the question unreasonable?
This is a open source community driven project, presumably there should be transparent way of organizing the project, coders, moderators and OPs alike, no?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Generally speaking, the person is an active member of the community,
& who has been pro-active in assisting others, with their issues.
- probably for at least, for a couple of years,
and has expressed a desire to assist the MintTeam.

everyone is a Volunteer - that is un-paid - and gives of their time / expertise / bandwidth
- in order to assist other users of both the IRC & the Forum itself.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
capivara
Level 3
Level 3

Post by capivara »

Well, most times I hear that question, it comes from people who are power hungry and want to become an OP. Not saying you are one of those BTW, but experiences in the past make me suspicious every time I see that question.

If it works the same as on another IRC network where I was an OP for many years, it might go like this: you've been a positive, helpful contributor for years, there is a 'job' opening for your time zone, and someone will ask you.
All my computers are in Mint condition.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Domaldel wrote:Is the question unreasonable?
No, but I'm still (also) curious about why you want to know this. And surely, asking that is not an unreasonable question, either.
You don't need to be so defensive about it, you can just explain your reasoning, right?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hey, folks.

Asking this question is perfectly legitimate. Therefore I would seriously like to suggest not to speculate on Domaldel's reasons for asking.
Pierre has given an answer to the question. Telling from experience, too, this is how forum moderators and IRC moderators are chosen by the existing moderator and administrator team.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Domaldel

Post by Domaldel »

Thanks all.
That said, what I really had in mind wasn't joining the OP/forum mod community.
It was intended as more of a "who watches the watchmen" kind of question.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

They are not Big Brother's employee.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
GreyGeek

Post by GreyGeek »

karlchen wrote:Hey, folks.

Asking this question is perfectly legitimate. Therefore I would seriously like to suggest not to speculate on Domaldel's reasons for asking.
Pierre has given an answer to the question. Telling from experience, too, this is how forum moderators and IRC moderators are chosen by the existing moderator and administrator team.

Best regards,
Karl
As a former admin on Kubuntuforums I can say your response bodes well for this forum and aligns perfectly with the meritocracy that exists in the GPL/FOSS community.
r00t

Post by r00t »

Domaldel wrote:who watches the watchmen
The other watchmen :wink: We all work together to moderate the forums/IRC and we oversee each other.
Domaldel

Post by Domaldel »

r00t wrote:
Domaldel wrote:who watches the watchmen
The other watchmen :wink: We all work together to moderate the forums/IRC and we oversee each other.
I see...
Domaldel

Post by Domaldel »

karlchen wrote:Hey, folks.

Best regards,
Karl
Thanks for your response.
Would you mind if I send a private message later?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Domaldel wrote:Would you mind if I send a private message later?
What would be the point? There is nothing which I could tell that I must not post publically, too.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

A sidenote: being a moderator isn't heaven on earth.... It's a considerable amount of work and you get a lot of (mostly unfounded) criticism about your moderations.

Even when attacked and insulted unjustly in public or by PM, a moderator always has to reply in a restrained and civil manner. And "behind the scenes", in the hidden moderator part of the forum, discussions and criticism can be very harsh and painful. Usually no restraints there.... Been there, done that.

So I'm very glad that there are enough volunteers around on this forum, who have taken this necessary but unthankful job upon themselves. I surely wouldn't want to do it myself.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Pjotr wrote:A sidenote: being a moderator isn't heaven on earth.... It's a considerable amount of work and you get a lot of (mostly unfounded) criticism about your moderations.

Even when attacked and insulted unjustly in public or by PM, a moderator always has to reply in a restrained and civil manner. And "behind the scenes", in the hidden moderator part of the forum, discussions and criticism can be very harsh and painful. Usually no restraints there.... Been there, done that.

So I'm very glad that there are enough volunteers around on this forum, who have taken this necessary but unthankful job upon themselves. I surely wouldn't want to do it myself.
+1

Here's a vote of THANKS, to all our Moderator's who give of there time and talent. thank you all.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Pjotr wrote:It's a considerable amount of work
It's some work,that is true. But I'm happy to do it. Nevertheless, I have observed that since I am a mod, I don't necessarily have time to answer some posts. I finish the moderation first and then sometimes I don't have time to answer anymore. :lol:
Pjotr wrote: and you get a lot of (mostly unfounded) criticism about your moderations.
On this board, it's honestly ok. Sometimes you get a complain but it's not that often.
Pjotr wrote: in the hidden moderator part of the forum, discussions and criticism can be very harsh and painful. Usually no restraints there...
This part of the forum is actually helpful. We exchange information there to help each others. Especially when we are in doubt. On the Linux Mint board, I have not seen any harsh discussions between team members. It's always nice and respectful.

To be honest, what I find difficult is managing myself and my emotions. At the end of the day, we are all humans. We have our bad days where we are tired or unhappy because of a random event. That's where it becomes difficult. You need to be careful when you take a decision. Are you taking it because you are just tired? Is it useful? Is it justified? That's the critical part. In case of doubt, I always ask the others team members and apply the conclusion of the discussion.
But as I said, we are human. We can always take a bad decision. This may happen. If that's the case, just let us know. Dialog is always good.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Would merely like to underline what killer de bug has written in his post above. Could not have expressed it any better. :)
Lifeline

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”