How do I remove Mint search engine from Chromium

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sml
Level 1
Level 1

How do I remove Mint search engine from Chromium

Post by sml »

Hi,

I have wasted about 1 hour trying to google to remove the Mint search engine from my Mint 14 installation.

How can I remove the Mint search engine in Chromium?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How do I remove Mint search engine from Chromium

Post by xenopeek »

Edited your post and subject to make it a bit more clear what you are asking, so it stands out for those that can help you.

I've had a tumble with it, and found I can reset Chromium to its default Google search (not the Linux Mint Google CSE) by removing the following two folders. The first you need to remove as root.
- /etc/skel/.config/chromium
- ~/.config/chromium

This will erase all your preferences, bookmarks, and so on. So it is a bit heavy handed, but it does end up with a Chromium with default Google search. You can open a terminal and run the following command to delete the above folders in one go.

Code: Select all

sudo rm -fr /etc/skel/.config/chromium ~/.config/chromium
sml
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sml »

thank you.

it worked ... just make sure to close chromium first! :)

it is quite amazing having a nice clean & fresh chromium install. very happy.

if Mint need a donation, they could work out methods to just ask people ... rather than this forceful method.
sml
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sml »

just did a fresh install on a new computer for a friend and needed to look this up again :)

a fresh & clean chromium is amazing!

the mint contamination should be reduced in future.
jollyllp

Post by jollyllp »

If you use Chromium's / Chrome's synchronization option, then you have the Linux Mint Google search page across your machines on which you used Chromium / Chrome and signed in to the synchronization service. This is quite annoying (you would actually see the Linux Mint search on a Windows machine as well) if you don't like how the search results are presented on the customized page or if you don't use / like Mint..........
ooseven

Post by ooseven »

Just go to settings and click on manage search engines.
gychang

Post by gychang »

ooseven wrote:Just go to settings and click on manage search engines.
this does not work on my PC.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

This thread is 3 years old and therefore information posted inside may not be accurate anymore. Please open a new topic for dedicated problems.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”