What are you most dissatisfied with in Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
asouza22

Re: What are you most dissatisfied with in Linux Mint?

Post by asouza22 »

scryan wrote:I voted default theme... minor issue, but all my other complaints stem from "find the right fit" type stuff..

But wow is the default mint/green theme such an eye sore. I seem to be one of the few who think so, so maybe its just me... But its not just not good, Its BAD and if I didn't know how to do anything it alone would probably be enough for me to move away from mint.
I completely agree with the green being a terrible eye sore. Just looking around the borders of this forum is depressing hahaha. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this distro (new to linux) because it got me hooked onto Linux and now I'm a sponge to all this new information.

In my opinion, which is worth nothing but just that, the shade of green is horrific. Its like baby poop :mrgreen: :wink: So if it has to be green, why not a shiny one..

But for mint... I would have picked a blue color instead of green - spearmint is sooo much better than peppermint

I really really do love this O.S., so it's worth the depressing scheme

~Aaron
Mimoelgato

Post by Mimoelgato »

I love Mint, it is a remarkable system, BUT I had to struggle a lot in installing 32bits only applications (my system is 64 bits) and all these missing but often used 32 bits libraries should be installed automatically in the system. Also they are sometimes dispatched in repositories which are hard to find or to adivine. The users do not allways know how to access and download such or such 32 bits libraries, and sometimes it becomes a hell on that point.
Best regards.
Destin Faroda

Post by Destin Faroda »

Most of the problems I have are not directed to Mint, but to developers that don't port their software/drivers to Linux: Foobar2000, Asus EPU, Asus Xonar DX control center etc.
Well, things that are a bit uncomfortable are the upgrades via DVD and the lack of updates. I'm not brave/experienced enough yet to upgrade the kernel.
Dirkoir
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dirkoir »

Mimoelgato wrote:I love Mint, it is a remarkable system, BUT I had to struggle a lot in installing 32bits only applications (my system is 64 bits) and all these missing but often used 32 bits libraries should be installed automatically in the system. Also they are sometimes dispatched in repositories which are hard to find or to adivine. The users do not allways know how to access and download such or such 32 bits libraries, and sometimes it becomes a hell on that point.
Best regards.
I voted hardware support since I had a 3 day battle getting my wireless card to work, and other configuration problems I have had (like VMs, Wine/PlayOnLinux) are at least partly related to the OS not sufficiently doing its job of making the hardware and software work with each other. However, the above - 32-bit support on 64-bit LM - is in fact a very specific subcategory of these problems, one with which I likewise have had a lot of trouble and which is not too broad. I believe this problem derives upstream (Ubuntu), but it would indeed be nice if our Mint angels would take care of it for the rest of us who are often less well able than they to handle this issue.

Some of this could be easy: For example, just the small step of removing the obnoxious practice of some of the Software Manager's / Synaptic's / apt's(?) installation scripts to uninstall 64-bit libraries during installation of their 32-bit equivalents would help a lot. :wink:
______
Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64-bit | LM19 Cinnamon | LM20.1 MATE | LM20.3 Cinnamon
turtlebay777

Post by turtlebay777 »

Hardware in my case, it does seem strange that a popular make of PC like Dell doesn't have it's Broadcom wifi drivers installed by default. It's a major battle to get an otherwise normal computer operating on wifi and you do need an ethernet connection otherwise you can't use the distro at all.

Maybe Clem could address this in future releases?
Dupo

Post by Dupo »

Hi,

1. the windows are always displayed in the left corner of the screen and not in the center of the screen (Cinnamon).
2. why the Mint software manager allows the installation of a software at a time, and it don't allow to install more programs at one time (as Synaptic)?
3. An option like "Remove completely" is not available in the Mint software manager and/or in the Mint Menu.
4. Do you think synaptic is necessary ? I think it is redundant.
5. It will be great if we could change easily the plymouth theme and the grub theme.
6. Allow the user to perform a minimal installation of Linux Mint. For now, it is not possible.
7. Support of ARM. No ARM version of Linux Mint is available.
Wilf's Donut World

Post by Wilf's Donut World »

Verix wrote:Well hardware compatibility is a given, but it's more of a manufacturers' fault and their lack of support for Linux. For me, it's the lack of automatic major updates for Firefox and other applications.
For me Mint is nigh on perfect, but with each release come different quirks, some hardware works and then doesn't, etc. But my main bugbear is when the OS asks you for your password and the dialogue box comes up out of focus! How mad is that! And I have to say I am finding Qiana rather slow. Even on a relatively fast machine. Apart from that I'm just loving Mint and very very grateful to Clem for his sterling work.
N-Tech

Post by N-Tech »

I have a problem with some video streams. I get some flashing horisontal black lines on top of the video. Dunno what is wrong. I have updated everything with the update manager. Also i get some screen/system freeze when playing steam games. Happened 2 times in 1 week. Other than that i havent experienced any other problems. Except 1 small thing.. Numpads enterkey on windows is vk_enter but on linux i have no idea. Cause of this i cant make a bind on it to my config files.

If someone knows something how to fix these, then please send me a PM :)
vjek

Post by vjek »

This is very minor, but hey, you asked..

The specific bug is that if you change the desktop from a graphic/image to a solid color, upon login/logout/reboot the icon text color on the desktop icons is always too dark to read. That's it. No other complaints. :)
dkstanson

Post by dkstanson »

No games on linux and hacking becomes the only fun when you play with linux powered boxes. :D
JusTertii

Post by JusTertii »

gmilo2 wrote:Once in a while apps just stop working (or working the way they were when you fired them up), or go away all of a sudden (hey! where'd you go? all I did was click you - nemo, chrome, keypass, etc). May or may not be caused by mint. Fortunately, the usual fix is to close everything, log out and log back in again.
I know that feeling! For me it's my conky. Every once in a while, when I load up my computer, my conkys go, well, conky. No idea what causes it or how to solve it, but a few reboots normally does the trick (like windows, lol).
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

That URBANTERROR 4.1 does not work!!
darvems

Post by darvems »

@AlbertP, For me hardware compability is the thing annoys me the most!
Last edited by darvems on Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

You can't switch workspaces with the mouse wheel on an open desktop in either Cinnamon or Mate.

C'mon ... even openbox does that.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
adrienkennebec
Level 1
Level 1

Post by adrienkennebec »

I chose minor bugs. Even though i have it set in the settings for the monitor to turn off after 20 minutes it stays on indefinetly (i have to turn off the monitor when i'm finished with the computer) other than that and some other problems i solved mint has been pretty good.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

@adrienkennebec:
Perhaps a setting problem, just as here?
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

There is lack of one point in voting: "I dissatisfied with in Linux Mint because it's nothing to do in Mint. All things just worked out of the box. No 150 updates, include new kernels, ewery other week as in Fedora. No beautiful bugs and lack of functionality as in openSUSE... Mint is boring OS" :roll:
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Shunjoss

Post by Shunjoss »

It's a minor bug, i dislike the mint mouse pointer set so i take oxygen yellow. But it changes back to normal when i don't use pre-installed apps.
And my intel HD 3000, i still can't get it working :(.
Plus in 17.1 we can't change the colour of linux mint menu according to the new mint colour theme.

It is all about linux mint for me now, let's speak about apps, and games xD.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

From looking here, most of the complaints are actually problems with linux or ubuntu in general. They don't really have anything to do with Mint.

I'll repeat my one real complaint ... on both Cinnamon and Mate it is impossible to scroll from one workspace to another from the desktop.

COME ON ... for frak's sake even Openbox does that.

I actually know of linux users who don't use Mint just because of that. It's that annoying.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Hoser Rob wrote:You can't switch workspaces with the mouse wheel on an open desktop in either Cinnamon or Mate.

C'mon ... even openbox does that.
I'd like to see this, too; but, you can add the Workspace switcher to the panel (in Cinnamon) and use the mouse wheel there to switch workspaces. I'm okay with that.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”