Is the repository down? 16 Sep 14

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
princeinflorida
Level 2
Level 2

Is the repository down? 16 Sep 14

Post by princeinflorida »

I can't install new items in Software Manager and Package Manager (Synaptic). I get 0% downloaded and then the install operation terminates. Is the repository down at this point in time? My internet is working for browsing etc.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Is the repository down? 16 Sep 14

Post by all41 »

Not from here
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
princeinflorida
Level 2
Level 2

I should have included that I am using LinuxMint 14. I just read in the Newbie forum that security updates will no longer be available and it hinted that the repository service may be dwindling or terminated. I had read some time ago that repositories are still available for older versions but maybe this has changed. Anyway, is the repository for LM14 down?
nomko

Post by nomko »

princeinflorida wrote:I should have included that I am using LinuxMint 14.
Mint 14 is obsolete and therefore no longer maintained and supported. Plesase read the link zerozero provided you.
princeinflorida wrote: I just read in the Newbie forum that security updates will no longer be available and it hinted that the repository service may be dwindling or terminated. I had read some time ago that repositories are still available for older versions but maybe this has changed. Anyway, is the repository for LM14 down?
Yes it is! When a Mint version is obsolete, the repository will be closed as well since there is no reason to update/maintain an obsolete Mint version after releasing a new Mint version.

You have 2 options:
  • Upgrading to Mint 17 which is a LTS version => supported up and till april 2019
  • Downgrading to Mint 13 which is also a LTS version => supported up and till april 2017
princeinflorida
Level 2
Level 2

Got it. Thanks for the informative replies.
It's good to know also because I install LM for people who can't/won't upgrade on their own. From now on it's only LTS versions for them now that I am aware of repository closings.
nomko

Post by nomko »

princeinflorida wrote:Got it. Thanks for the informative replies.
It's good to know also because I install LM for people who can't/won't upgrade on their own. From now on it's only LTS versions for them now that I am aware of repository closings.
From Linux Mint 17 and onwards every Mint version will be a LTS version, so Mint 18 which is the successor of Mint 13 will be a LTS version, and also Mint 19, 0, 21, and so on will all be LTS versions with 5-year support ;)

Return to “Non-technical Questions”