Creating a Linux club

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Octavian

Creating a Linux club

Post by Octavian »

I was wondering if there was a way to start my own Linux club. I want be able to support Linux and Ubuntu. My Father is an accountant and it will not be hard to set up the financial part. I just dont know where to start. Is there a website or wiki that can help with information on what is required? I mostly plan on starting the club when I know enough about linux to build an LFS. It will be a while but I want to start planing in advanced. I want to not only be able to teach people how to use Linux but I want to also suport Linux in different ways but I think it would be better to learn more about the comunity of Linux and Ubuntu first.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Creating a Linux club

Post by xenopeek »

Also know as a local Linux User Group, or LUG for short. Some quick links:
- A howto (old, but likely still useful): http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/User-Group-HOWTO.html
- See what other LUGs are doing: http://www.reddit.com/r/LUGs

Google will likely also help you find whether there is a Linux User Group in your area already, or one in your country you could align with.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the LQ site also has a list of LUGs in North America:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... ps-lug-51/

- you can add your proposed LUG into a new thread, - for future reference.

there is also a post on how to run your LUG :)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Nilla Wafer

Post by Nilla Wafer »

I don't think a LUG is the same thing that a school Linux club would be, but they might be willing to "adopt a school" and offer some Linux stuff for kids that way.

The high school I'm starting at this fall has a computer club but not a Linux club. It's probably just for gamers, though, not Linux users. But you could ask.

~nilla
Octavian

Post by Octavian »

Sorry I have been busy sense I just got moved in to my new apartment. Still unpacking

Thanks for the links I will book mark them. :D
OrangeShark

Post by OrangeShark »

Nilla Wafer wrote:I don't think a LUG is the same thing that a school Linux club would be, but they might be willing to "adopt a school" and offer some Linux stuff for kids that way.

The high school I'm starting at this fall has a computer club but not a Linux club. It's probably just for gamers, though, not Linux users. But you could ask.

~nilla
A LUG could totally be used as a school club. My university had their own LUG and it was a great way to introduce Linux to students. I also imagine a local LUG could help out a school's LUG by providing educational material, presentations, or even speakers.

Return to “Chat about Linux”