Who wrote the Linux Mint User Guide?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GNULinuxRTM

Who wrote the Linux Mint User Guide?

Post by GNULinuxRTM »

I switched from Windows to Linux on my main computer summer of 2014, and I am using Linux Mint 17 - Mate Edition. One of the things I appreciated about Linux Mint was the documentation. And now I am working in my spare time to Read The Manual on Youtube. So I want to give credit to the contributors.

I think that documentation is a big part of what separates good Linux Distros, from Yet-Another-Distro. I want to promote GNU/Linux projects with good documentation and I am starting with Linux Mint. If anyone knows who writes, edits, maintains, etc. the User Guide for Linux Mint, please let me know. I want to be able to comment accurately on their contribution to this Distro Project.

Thanks,
GNULinuxRTM.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Who wrote the Linux Mint User Guide?

Post by xenopeek »

There's not a single author. The Linux Mint team has worked on it, but there are also contributions from the community to update it for newer releases. All the translations from English are done by the community.
GNULinuxRTM

Post by GNULinuxRTM »

Awesome and thanks for the quick response xenopeek. This confirms what I thought. There must be some main people who make this happen, but it will be presented as it should as a Community effort. I have already published 3 videos with the following Description:
GNU/Linux RTM - Linux Mint Mate Edition 17.1 User Guide with commentary and other surprises.
Authors: Linux Mint Community (names unknown)

Created with use of Open ClipArt and the Linux Mint Published Documentation.

Table of Contents covered: blah, blah, blah

Note:
The Linux Mint User Guide is published/distributed subject to the terms and conditions set forth in the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL), V1.2 or later (the latest version is presently available at http://www.gnu.org/licences/fdl.txt).
I believe I have everything properly represented with this description.

Since I am spending soo much time reading this manual (because I screw up and have re-record myself), I am likely to come across typos/corrections/or have suggestions. So obviously that effort will be wasted if I don't contribute back to the community. Which leads to my next question - how to get involved in improving the document? Maybe that is written in the manual, but I am keeping myself in suspense as I read it aloud!
:)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The best way is probably to talk to the developers and/or Clem, as he is the founder and project lead for Linux Mint. With Linux Mint 17.1 actually the development team wrote a user guide that is accessible from your menu, using your system's help interface to present the same topics as in the PDF. It was a user from the community that updated the PDF from 17 to 17.1 I think. I'm not confident about future direction and where the team wants to put its effort. Easiest way to make contact with development team is through email (but response may be slow): http://www.linuxmint.com/contactus.php. Best way is to talk to them directly on IRC. You're always welcome to come say hi to the developers! (Can depend on time of day how busy the IRC channel is.) The developer IRC channel is #linuxmint-dev on irc.spotchat.org. On Linux Mint, just open HexChat from your menu to connect to the IRC channels. Then type /join #linuxmint-dev to go to the developer IRC channel.
GNULinuxRTM

Post by GNULinuxRTM »

Tried the chatroom and it looked empty. Plus I am not that familiar with Chat commands yet. Have to read that manual sometime.

Anyway, I went to the link you provided and sent an email.

Will post here if I get a response!

Return to “Non-technical Questions”