Driver for Nvidia NV28M GeForce4 Ti 4200 on HP Inspiron 8500

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
legallou

Driver for Nvidia NV28M GeForce4 Ti 4200 on HP Inspiron 8500

Post by legallou »

I have an HP Inspiron 8500 The Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon or Mate or Xfce did not give a correct graphic view.
I believe, I need to install a driver for the graphic card. Command inxi -G say it is a :
Nvidia NV28M GeForce 4 Ti 4200 Go AGP 8x

Please, where I can found the driver and how to install it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Driver for Nvidia NV28M GeForce 4 Ti 4200 on HP Inspiron

Post by richyrich »

In Xfce the program is found . . Menu > System > Driver Manager.
legallou

Post by legallou »

I did. The Driver manager window is empty and no valid button. What I am suppose to do to find the driver ?
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

I did a search for you. Your graphics card is listed in the 'Supported Products' tab and the instructions are in the 'Additional Information' tab.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverRe ... 8996/en-us
legallou

Post by legallou »

Thank you a lot. I still did not success. Nvidia installer say « I must be at root ». I found in forum « sudo -i » to go to root. It work, I go to root and run the installer, now it say « You happen to run an X server ». I found in forum ctrl+alt+F1 as solution. I did, but still got « You happen to run an Xserver ». What is the good solution ?
Last edited by legallou on Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

legallou,

You can't install the nvidia-96 driver on your system with Mint 17. If you look at the Release Highlights for the nvidia-96 driver on Nvidia's
website, it says:
"Added support for X.Org xserver versions 1.11 and 1.12."

Mint 17 uses X.Org X Server 1.15, so it is not supported by the nvidia-96 driver. Even if it was supported, I don't think your old video card has the graphics processing power to run Mint Cinnamon properly. It appears that your whole system is old.

You will have to use Mint 13, which is still supported, and uses X.Org X Server 1.11. The nvidia-96 driver should be available when Additional Drivers is opened. You can also use the downloaded driver but use the Updated Installation Instructions found on this page:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p847465

Your video card may not be able to run the Mint 13 Mate edition well enough either but you can try it. The Xfce edition will be the easiest to run.
One of my systems has a GeForce 6200 card and it can run Mint Cinnamon but there's some slowdown. It runs fine on Mint 17 Xfce.

If you want to run Mint 17, then you will need to upgrade your video card. Here's an AGP card that would probably work for you using Mint 17 Xfce. It has better specifications than my card, including GDDR2 memory, which is faster than the DDR2 typically found on that card, so you could experiment with Mate and Cinnamon:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130452
legallou

Post by legallou »

Thank you a lot Robim for all your help. Note, Mint V17 on my very old PC without graphic driver work slow, but less slow than the Vista PC of my friend which is a more recent PC. I have some artefact on some icon and URL address in Firefox with normal Cinnamon, also, a double pointer. If I start Cinnamon in recovery mode graphic is perfect.

I put Mint Cinnamon 13 on an USB key as you recommend. Load normally, but result is just a bottom line with blancs rectangles at the place of button. No reaction when clicking on it.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Apologies for my missing the incompatibility, and thank you robim for kindly pointing it out . . :oops:

The Xfce desktop environment might work better than Cinnamon, but whatever you decide, good luck,
richy
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

legallou wrote:If I start Cinnamon in recovery mode graphic is perfect.

When using Recovery Mode, hardware acceleration of graphics is disabled, which makes the CPU work a lot harder. There will be display
problems, such as a noticeable slowdown when running videos in full screen, or playing many games.
legallou wrote:I put Mint Cinnamon 13 on an USB key as you recommend. Load normally, but result is just a bottom line with blancs rectangles at the place of button. No reaction when clicking on it.
Are you talking about after the installation is complete and rebooting?
Then at the GRUB boot menu select the correct line but don’t press Enter. Press the “E” key to edit. If no menu shows then hold down the
shift key while starting. Using the arrow keys, go down to the line that starts with:
linux /boot/vmlinuz.............ro quiet splash $vt_handoff

Add a space at the end of the line and then add:
nomodeset xforcevesa

Press F10 to start your system. When you get to the desktop, then install the nvidia-96 driver in Additional Drivers and reboot.

Also, I don't recommend using Mint 13 Cinnamon but Mate or Xfce
legallou

Post by legallou »

Ok, I will try Mint 13 Mate, but only next week, because I lent my Inspiron 8500 to my neighbour for a Linux demonstration. They need only weeb and picture, the non-active graphic card with Mind 17 on my Inspiron 8500 will not be a problem, just slow. Avantage, they will see what really they will have, if they decide to move their own PC HP Presario from Vista to Linux Mint.

For your question, no it is not after installation, it is at the end of the USB key load. I see in the window just a bottom line with blancs rectangles at the place of menu button. The button to install, left up, is not visible, even not as blanc rectangle. I will keep you inform as soon as my PC will come back.
legallou

Post by legallou »

My Inspiron 8500 is back home. I have install, as you recommend, MINT V13 Xfce. Installation Ok. Working fine except the system update. Download update start and download the first 35 files and stop. The error message say « cannot get file http://packages.medibuntu.org/dists/precise/Release.gpg ,
http://packages.medibuntu.org/dists/pre ... 6/Packages, etc
 ». Say also « (-5 - No Address associated with host name ».

Thank in advance for help
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

legallou

Re: Driver for Nvidia NV28M GeForce4 Ti 4200 on HP Inspiron

Post by legallou »

Thank you a lot - I am running correctly now.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”