Geforce 6600 GT fails to load 304 driver under Maya [Solved]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
panorain
Level 5
Level 5

Geforce 6600 GT fails to load 304 driver under Maya [Solved]

Post by panorain »

I have spent some time researching as to why the Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT card operates properly under the 173.xx driver but not under the 304.xx driver on my old Compaq p4 tower running Maya with the standard 3.2.59 etc etc kernel. The 304.xx is stated to work with the 6600GT as per the NVIDIA website.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_32667.html <------------Nvidia driver/cardlink

I choose to load Linux Mint 13 MATE 32-bit, 3.2.0-59-generic (/dev/sda1) <------grub boot menu

I receive a 'failed to start X server' message
viewing the log I see these 2 lines that stand out:
Fatal server error:
no screens found
X server output shows (II) NVIDIA GLX Module 304.116 <----------Do the 'II''s mean it's installed?
Another line referring to Nvidia further down states the following.
(==) matched nvidia as autoconfigured driver 0
then a few more lines down the log states.
(Failed to load module "nvidia" (already loaded, 164239
I noticed another error message to the right of 5 lines a bit further down.
(EE) NVIDIA(GPU-0): The NVIDIA GPU at PCI:1.0:0 does not have the necessary
external power cables attached; X cannot use this GPU
until the problem is rectified. please shut down your
computer, open its case, and attach all the appropriate
power connectors. Please see the documentation provided
with your NVIDIA GPU for more details.

Code: Select all

inxi -G
Shows:

Graphics: Card: NVIDIA NV43 [GeForce 6600]
Display Server: x.org 1.11.3 drivers: (unloaded: nvidia) Failed: fbdev, vesa
tty size: 80x25 Advanced Data: N/a out of X

dpkg -l | less
Shows the following Nvidia packages installed at this time.

nvidia-304
nvidia-current
nvidia-settings
nvidia-settings-304
nvidia-settings-304-updates

I have also ran the command

sudo apt-get install --reinstall nvidia-304

after installing the above packages via apt.

At the bottom of the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file there are 6 lines as follows
#blacklist amd76x_edac
#blacklist vga16fb
#blacklist nouveau
#blacklist rivafb
blacklist nvidiafb
#blacklist rivatv

The computer model is an HP Compaq d530 running Linux Mint Maya
I'm wondering if there is not enough power to run the card with the 304.xx Nvidia driver strictly from the AGP slot on the motherboard?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria
Always =updatedb=
GNU/LINUX
grungy_me
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT fails to load 304 Nvidia drivers.

Post by grungy_me »

@panorain

Did you install the Nvidia proprietary graphic driver from the "Driver Manager" program?

Start menu--->System--->Driver Manager

If not, this could be the source of your problem if you downloaded from the Nvidia web site and installed it manually, either incorrectly, or perhaps with LinuxMint 13 being so old some of the dependencies are outdated. It's always recommended that you install proprietary graphics drivers from the Driver Manager, assuming the it works, and there is a version listed for your graphic card, which there should since that is an older graphic card.

Did it work properly with the open source drivers that are installed by default upon installation of LinuxMint?

Have you tried installing LinuxMint 17 to see if there is a difference in result?
I'm wondering if there is not enough power to run the card with the 304.xx Nvidia driver strictly from the AGP slot on the motherboard?
If the graphic card does not have a separate power connector on it, then it should be fine running from the AGP slot alone.
panorain
Level 5
Level 5

Post by panorain »

Positive!

I had previously tried installing the 304.xx drivers via GUI then upon rebooting the machine X-server failed to load MDM always.

I continually reverted to the 173.xx driver which seemed to work fairly well.

After reading through McLovin and zerozero wonderful post's I started asking my mind questions again then I read.--------------------

I opened the case on the machine and examined the card for an additional place to 'plug' some sort of power source to it.

Guess what the nvidia 6600 GT card has an additional power input!

Machine has an extra single lead coming off the power supply and I snipped the tie strap and plugged it into the side of the card.

Rebooted the machine and viola it's up n running with 304.xxx-current. (All the TIME) No complaints from X-server

inxi -G
and the 304.xx driver is installed properly: - I have attached a snapshot. 'Nvidia website shows up as reccomending the 304.88 for this card maybe the 304.116 etc - is possibly newer?'

lsmod
reports nvidia as an installed module. I have attacthed a snapshot of the machines 'lsmod' output.

...............................................................................................

Basically then I removed uneeded nvidia drivers out of via Synaptic. <---One could do this via terminal also.

ya----------> for a while the 'GUI additional drivers' was stating that nvidia was not in use via ---> 'additional driver' 'still does'. So basically I then resorted to just checking 'lsmod' and 'inxi -G' for driver status cause 'additional drivers' is and is/was reporting falsely. <---------------------reinstallation of nvidia drivers may be necessary. I would reccomend always looking at the

dpkg -l | less
---Start menu--->System--->Driver Manager = Never reports correctly! 'always stating but highlighted' in the green button' this driver is not activated. = - 'only when 173.xx is ticked' - always wants to say 'driver is activated' etc. Thus showing the 304.xxx - current driver - as not installed 'even when inxi-G states it is'. *once again is installed* . If I try to install the nvidia-current 304.xxx driver VIA -->Driver Manager - it falls back to the 173.xx driver 'or something! then at the X-server prompt once again. Then one can use use 'dpkg commands' to remove the 173.xx or 304.xxx driver's <--prior attempt to load MDM. Upon reboot MDM loads up correctly 'more or less using the nouveau driver for MDM' - via loads the 'splash screen'. At this point I am no longer trusting the ---Start menu--->System--->Driver Manager' - for information on the report of the 6600 GT card - and maybe every other Nvidia card should note.

So basically i'm learning the machine 'using the 6600 GT nvidia card' minimally needs - or uses = 3 Nvidia packages total to be installed 'for this particular GPU'. listed here as follows: nvidia-304-updates - nvidia-common - nvidia-settings . The previous are each seperated with a - .

Remember though, the 173.xxx drivers were working fine with the 6600GT 'on this same kernel within this same distro' well except after like the - 'firefox-30 etc...I noticed slow webpage scrolling 'on this machine' HP-D530 'older p4'. Via Firefox 33-+' and when I opened up the : HELP---->Troubleshooting-Information in menu bar I noticed that under 'graphics area It had unresolved issues' - as even the older nvidia MX 96.xxx etc etc still have. (Must be web page code). <----possibly -find out

A graphics card 'with an additional power input to the card'. <-----slipped my mind.. To ask 'What is that'. <--additional power connection!DUH' already put a new fan on the 6600GT prior to this experience 'bought card second hand'. I believe this card model does not support fan speed adjustment' under nv-clock'. I tried installing 'nvclock via apt and alas 'nvidia-clock' ---> via 'nv-settings' does not allow for fan speed adjustment but does show up. I'm no coder so me up a creek again as far as fan speed setting for the Geforce 6600AGP card. The card runs quiet regardless on 3 seconds of fan squeel upon boot.

Appears to me that '/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf' -regardless of #on the blacklist' makes no difference for this card. Being Linux-Mint-Maya = being so old.

Thank you,
Last edited by panorain on Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:45 am, edited 21 times in total.
Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria
Always =updatedb=
GNU/LINUX
grungy_me
Level 3
Level 3

Post by grungy_me »

@panorain

No problem. Glad you figured it out. Please edit the title of your post to show [SOLVED] in it.

and the 304.xx driver is installed properly. 'Nvidia website shows up as reccomending the 304.88 for this card maybe the 304.116 is newer?'
Yes, that is the way I'd interpret that.
Do you think I can now safely remove the 'libdrm-nouveau' drivers now seems to have alot of dependencies.
My understanding is that if you installed the drivers via the Driver Manager you don't need to do anything else. If you installed the drivers manually from Nvidia's web site, then you need to black list the nouveau drivers from loading. Which is what I had to do with my GTX 750.
You really think Maya is that old huh?
It is. But it was purely speculation on my part. Sometimes stuff gets old enough on Linux that the dependencies no longer work with newer software.
Write me back if you have time I have aloooooooooooot of questions.
Please keep this post on topic. If you have other questions unrelated to this specific problem, create a new post in the appropriate area in this forum. Unfortunately I don't have all the answers. My expertise is limited compared to a lot of other people that answer questions here.
panorain
Level 5
Level 5

Post by panorain »

This post has been labeled as solved- I have a few minor edits left. Please feel free to post and leave your comments; if you have an Nvidia Ge force 6600GT card.

@ Anyone interested' - Do you think I can now safely remove the 'libdrm-nouveau' drivers now: as it appears they have alot of dependencies.

Thank you,
Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria
Always =updatedb=
GNU/LINUX

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”