In the future, will 32-bit or 64-bit win out?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
brawnypandora0

In the future, will 32-bit or 64-bit win out?

Post by brawnypandora0 »

I have a 32-bit computer, but are there any disadvantages compared to 64-bit?

Which architecture predominate in new computers?

Just glossing over Wikipedia, it seems that 64-bit has more problems than 32-bit.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: In the future, will 32-bit or 64-bit win out?

Post by tdockery97 »

All brand new computers that I have seen have 64-bit processors, even if they are single core (such as my HP Sempron M100 processor). But all of the 64-bit processors are backward compatible with 32-bit. If history is any indication (VHS vs. Betamax, etc.) 64-bit will eventually be the predominant format.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Stennie

Post by Stennie »

When are we going to see a 128 bit PC... ? :D
gizmodo

Post by gizmodo »

64 bit, mainly because systems specs keep risiing, and 32 bit isnt even fabricated mainly anymore
Nexus

Post by Nexus »

Stennie wrote:When are we going to see a 128 bit PC... ? :D
I've been wondering about that myself, there are all ready a few 128-bit processors being manufactured but not for general useage.

With all the "Multi-Core" CPU's hitting the market I wonder how many cores well see before the manufacturers decide it's more prudent to move to a 128-bit platform. Right now you can buy 6 core processors, they are expensive but eventually that price, just like any other will drop as technology advances.

My bigger question though is "Why?" Already the average and honestly most above average home users fail to use 90% of the ability of their systems. Why would you need a 6 core system if you don't have a use for that much power. I guess the same would hold true for 128 bit computing. Until the software market starts taxing the capabilities of 64-bit technology I don't think we'll see 128-bit because there simply won't be "Demand".
Txnca

Post by Txnca »

Eventually the 64-bit will become standard. Right now though 32-bit is still faster and less prone to issues. I have ran both the 32 and the 64-bit versions of Gnome Helena, and hands down the 32-bit was way faster and more responsive. The only good thing about 64-bit is the ability to address more RAM. That is the ONLY reason to more to 64-bit right now. If you need it for graphics processing etc then 64-bit makes sense, but for 99% of the PC public, 64-bit is overkill. If you ask me, we haven't had a need of the speed increases and processing power for a long time. 90% of the PC public could still be using a 486DX/2-66 and it would be good enough for what they are using a computer for. That's why you can use Linux on a 386 or 486 system and bring them from the dead. If you notice, every time MS comes out with a new OS, you need a bigger faster processor, more RAM, and a bigger HD. That is the reason most people even upgrade is because they want the latest OS from Microsoft!
vincent

Post by vincent »

32-bit computers are pretty much not on sale anymore...most desktops and laptops come with 64-bit processors nowadays. That means, as time passes by, 64-bit will eventually win out. Simple.
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

brawnypandora0 wrote:I have a 32-bit computer, but are there any disadvantages compared to 64-bit?

Which architecture predominate in new computers?

Just glossing over Wikipedia, it seems that 64-bit has more problems than 32-bit.
Here is a simple graph representation of 32 vs 64 bit performance on some applications. http://www.tuxradar.com/content/ubuntu- ... benchmarks As a 64 bit Linux Mint user I can tell you that there hasn't been any major problems with 645 bit applications for some time in my case. On a closing note don't put too much faith in Wikipedia. Enjoy
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

tdockery97 wrote:All brand new computers that I have seen have 64-bit processors, even if they are single core (such as my HP Sempron M100 processor). But all of the 64-bit processors are backward compatible with 32-bit. If history is any indication (VHS vs. Betamax, etc.) 64-bit will eventually be the predominant format.
x86-64 (AMD64) actually. They are not true 64-bit processors. Only lately have these systems even been coming with Windows 7 x64 on them.

What will truly drive 64-bit at this point is software (applications). The hardware and OS are already there.
Theologian

Post by Theologian »

What's all this about?

My WDR-1bit works just fine! :mrgreen: http://www.old-computers.com/museum/com ... st=1&c=834
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

brawnypandora0 wrote:Which architecture predominate in new computers?
The real answer is it depends
  • Depends on the market, what becomes successful..
Fairly obviously 64bit will predominate, it is a progression of capability

And if 128bit or 256bit or Quantum computers were available or holographic memory/storage, they would also predominate, if they became successful rather than die out, as such items like bubble memory have (in the ancient past)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_memory
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_data_storage
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computer
deleted

Post by deleted »

This makes me nostalgic and yearn for my first computer http://www.answers.com/topic/timex-sinclair-1000 ;)
-Hinto
Fred

Post by Fred »

Well if the past is any indicator, and it usually is, then 64 bit is kinda here and 128 bit is coming. :-)

8, 16, 32, 64 ... Incidentally the Z81 was/is my favorite processor of all times. Brings back some fond and not so fond memories of assembly code. :-)

Fred
Theologian

Post by Theologian »

Stennie wrote:When are we going to see a 128 bit PC... ? :D
My 1024 Bit notebook seems to be running LMDE r20141215 quite well.
Where was I?

Return to “Open Chat”