government opposition to encryption (continued)

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Governments v Privacy

Post by mike acker »

Security Experts Oppose Government Access to Encrypted Communication

we have a Monster Fight brewing. I stand with the 4th Amendment.

Excerpt
Yates, the deputy attorney general at the Justice Department, are scheduled to testify before the Senate Judiciary Committee on the concerns that they and other government agencies have that encryption technologies will prevent them from effectively doing their jobs.
who cares? they don't do their jobs anyway.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Governments v Privacy

Post by mike acker »

it's not just because we can't trust government to secure the keys to the back door,-- alternate decryption key in PGP parlance or just "ADK"

it's that we cannot trust governments with the information they hoover up
¡Viva la Resistencia!
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Governments v Privacy

Post by BigEasy »

Yes, all the history people thrust in God. Goverments never designed for such thing as thrust. BTW, newspapers too.
http://www.hackingteam.it
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

government opposition to encryption (continued)

Post by mike acker »

Article published on The Intercept,-- today: Obama Administration War Against Apple and Google Just Got Uglier

Excerpt
“In the facts we considered,” wrote Wittes and his co-author, Harvard law student Zoe Bedell, “a court might — believe it or not — consider Apple as having violated the criminal prohibition against material support for terrorism.”
i think the real hazzard to us all is that government may simply direct ISPs to delete any traffic they cannot decrypt. this surveillance thing is indeed getting ugly
¡Viva la Resistencia!
mintybits

Re: government opposition to encryption (continued)

Post by mintybits »

Well I say that Governments should not be allowed any more info than is absolutely necessary for normal business. More than that can potentially lead to serious erosions of democracy. It is nice to trust our Government but only as long as we prevent it from being able to be untrustworthy!

WRT stopping encryption...I reckon it is nigh on impossible. Encrypted data looks like noise so can be added to sound tracks or pictures or whatever without being detected. I for one believe in the right to make my communications private if I want to, in whatever form I choose.

Return to “Open Chat”