Computer related jokes

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
JusTertii

Linux memes.

Post by JusTertii »

I must say this one made me laugh:

JusTertii

Re: Linux memes.

Post by JusTertii »

As did this one:

JusTertii

Post by JusTertii »

Or this one.......

excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Computer related jokes

Post by excollier »

CompTIA A+ (you can laugh now)
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

The following jokes are a little bit agressive towards Windows: :D

Error 15 - Unable to exit Windows. Try the door.

Windows Error: 004 - Operator fell asleep while waiting.

Windows is *NOT* a virus. Viruses *DO* something!
nomko

Post by nomko »

WrathOfFire wrote:Found another one: Ubuntu is an ancient African word, meaning "I can't configure Debian"
And thus the same for Linux Mint!!
JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

Something I thought of, though I may have seen simillar things online at one point... not sure. However, here is...

How to fix internet, C++ style!

Code: Select all

int main()
{
    std::string badWord = "INSERT FOWL ADJECTIVE HERE!";
    if(!internet_is_down()){
        std::cout << "Hurray, internet works!" << std::endl;
    } else if (internet_is_down()) {
        reboot_pc();
        reboot_router();
        if(internet_still_is_down()) {
            swear_really_loud(badWord);
        }
    }
}
var
Level 3
Level 3

Post by var »

JusTertii wrote:I must say this one made me laugh:

Hehe nice. Though RMS doesn't use Fedora ;)
jahid

Post by jahid »

RacerBG wrote: Windows Error: 004 - Operator fell asleep while waiting.
That's sooo... true....

Windows is really a peculiar OS. On one of my friends machine, I clicked on a exe file and it popped up a system message saying that the same file that was clicked doesn't exist (showing it's full path), what a liar :lol: :lol: , I can see it in my own eye and windows is saying that it doesn't exist...... :wink: How can it say such a lie so blindly.....? :lol: :lol: :lol:
vl1969

Post by vl1969 »

Jahid, I am not going to defend windows here or start a heated discussion about idiosyncrasies of windows os, but the situation you describe could be do to several things and might not be windows fault.

One posibility is that the file you clickef was a virus or have been corupted by a virus.if that true than the file name you sould see in thr explower and the actual name coild be different slightly, thus an program installer coild not find the actual exe file even something was dislpayed in explorer. As an example, I onece came onto file that by all accoint looked like normal exe on the machine. But when clicked did nothing or through an error not much different as the one you saw.
Turnes out the pc had hide the file extencion option on, thus a file absd.exe.vs looked like adcd.exe in explorer but was not an exe file at all but a vb script that a virus created using original program file. Since the pc did not had a vbs runtimes installed, the file could not work as intended by virus writer, but the original program was still lost.

Other situation that comw to mind is that the program was badly writen and corupted the path when returning it to app runner system or the installer, thus the info displayed was bad. I have seen it as well. To test I would copy all the path from explorer adress line and all the path from error and compare them bit by bit. I had an app that was not compartible with paths over 67 (yes as strange as it sounds exactly 67 characters) characters long and alway corupted the path entry but returned the original path back to caller on error.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
jahid

Re:

Post by jahid »

vl1969 wrote:Jahid, I am not going to defend windows here or start a heated discussion about idiosyncrasies of windows os, but the situation you describe could be do to several things and might not be windows fault.

One posibility is that the file you clickef was a virus or have been corupted by a virus.if that true than the file name you sould see in thr explower and the actual name coild be different slightly, thus an program installer coild not find the actual exe file even something was dislpayed in explorer. As an example, I onece came onto file that by all accoint looked like normal exe on the machine. But when clicked did nothing or through an error not much different as the one you saw.
Turnes out the pc had hide the file extencion option on, thus a file absd.exe.vs looked like adcd.exe in explorer but was not an exe file at all but a vb script that a virus created using original program file. Since the pc did not had a vbs runtimes installed, the file could not work as intended by virus writer, but the original program was still lost.

Other situation that comw to mind is that the program was badly writen and corupted the path when returning it to app runner system or the installer, thus the info displayed was bad. I have seen it as well. To test I would copy all the path from explorer adress line and all the path from error and compare them bit by bit. I had an app that was not compartible with paths over 67 (yes as strange as it sounds exactly 67 characters) characters long and alway corupted the path entry but returned the original path back to caller on error.

I know, there must be some logical explanation of every situation in a computer related event, as it is a computer after all, but the OS not able to deal with this and fall prey to viruses that easily is it's own idiocy....
vl1969

Post by vl1969 »

No it is not. You are forgetting that there is a big difference between windows and lunux development.
Windows started as a simple gui shell over a single user , single none network pc os, such as was dos. Linux on the other hand came from a full blown, network capable and aware, multiuser minded os. Hence all the inherited security and else.
And untill recently, win7 and 8, windows stayed that way for usability and compatibility sake. Even as all the comunication thungs e olved and were added to the os it was still based on old stuff and could not handle all new thing gracefully. Win 7 intorduced new os core that was rewritten based on new needs and new technology so it is much better today compared to the good old days. Limux in my experience, however limited it is , also has it's share of bugs and issues.

MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

What?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Fun with the CLI -
The command ls -la is too much information (like many commands), so you use more or less to control it.

ls -la | more

ls -la | less
The more command is quite handy, but often you will find that you have advanced past the screen you wanted.
more does not provide a way to go back. The less command provides this functionality. So, less is more than more.
The rule is "less is more, but more more than more is, so more is less less, so use more less if you want less more".
There will be a test...

My next favorite command:

apt moo
TRY IT !
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

austin.texas wrote:My next favorite command:

apt moo
TRY IT !
:lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

Try any of the following using a firefox browser and google...

Do a barrel roll
Tilt
Recursion
Anagram

see wikipedia for a complete list of goodies... :lol:
JusTertii

Post by JusTertii »

austin.texas wrote:"less is more, but more more than more is, so more is less less, so use more less if you want less more".
JohnBobSmith wrote:Do a barrel roll
My head is doing barrel-rolls getting more less less than more.
Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S »

authorization.png
"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself." - Tecumseh
JusTertii

Post by JusTertii »

Touche Derek.
Funny and too true.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

I can't claim credit for any of these. But they made me laugh. :D
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Open Chat”