is this computer i am building compatiable with mint(solved)

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
zenqqa

is this computer i am building compatiable with mint(solved)

Post by zenqqa »

SIIG Wireless-N USB Wi-Fi Adapter (JU-WR0212-S1)
its a atx based system already bought the wi-fi adapter and power supply. it was going to be windows based but i am thinking of going to linux mint

Logisys 480W 20+4-pin ATX Power Supply

AMD Athlon X2 370K Richland 4.0GHz, Socket FM2, 65W Desktop Processor (AD370KOKHLBOX)

Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL11 Unbuffered UDIMM 240-Pin Desktop Memory Modules CT2CP51264BA16​0B

Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST1000DM003

ASUS Micro ATX DDR3 2133 Motherboards A55BM-E

ASUS GT640 2GB DDR3 Memory Graphics Cards

Rosewill Dual Fans MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case FBM-01
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: is this computer i am building compatiable with mint

Post by xenopeek »

Generally speaking, looking at your list, the only things to check are the USB adapter, the motherboard, and the graphics card. The Nvidia GeForce GT630 chip based graphics card should work fine with Linux Mint, both with the default open source Nouveau driver and with the optional proprietary driver (installed through Driver Manager application). Did you already purchase the components for this build? Else I might have something to consider for you.

The motherboard and USB adapter you might check for on http://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/welcome, perhaps another Linux Mint user has registered compatibility in the hardware database. If you already did the build, you can also test out Linux Mint fully from the installation medium (DVD or USB stick) and see for yourself. Else, you might try a Google search like "ASUS A55BM-E Ubuntu" or "ASUS A55BM-E Linux" and see what comes up. As Linux Mint is fully compatible with Ubuntu, results found for Ubuntu are generally applicable to Linux Mint also.
zenqqa

Post by zenqqa »

No did not buy anything but the wireless adapter and power supply. My budget is 400 max
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The AMD A6-6400K costs about € 58 here. PassMark rates CPU performance as 2381. It has an AMD Radeon HD 8470D graphics chip embedded, which PassMark rates videocard performance for as 512.

The ASUS Graphics Cards GT630-SL-2GD3-​L costs about € 60 here. It has a Nvidia Geforce GT630 graphics chip. Passmark rates videocard performance as 739. It's barely faster than the embedded graphics chip from your CPU, and mixing AMD with Nvidia there is no benefit gained from having two graphics chips.

For a total budget for CPU + graphics card of about € 118, I think you can do better with taking an Intel Core i3 processor of the current Haswell generation, with the Intel HD Graphics 4600 embedded graphics chip. For example the Intel Core i3-4330 which is about € 109 here. PassMark rates videocard performance as 725, so basically the same as the your ASUS Graphics Cards GT630-SL-2GD3-​L. However, it completely obliterates your AMD A6-6400K CPU with a PassMark rated CPU performance of 5098 (over twice as much performance). And it has twice as many processor cores, making it smoother while multitasking.

There are some alternative Intel Core i3 processors that would be suitable (based on this list), differing only in clock speed. All have the Intel HD Graphics 4600 embedded graphics chip, all have 2 physical processor cores with hyperthreading (making it total 4 cores), and all being as fast graphics wise as the ASUS Graphics Cards GT630-SL-2GD3-​L, all having at least twice the performance as the AMD A6-6400K, and all also consuming less power than that.
  • Intel Core i3-4330, runs at 3.5 GHz, costs about € 109 here, PassMark score 5098.
  • Intel Core i3-4340, runs at 3.6 GHz, costs about € 129 here, PassMark score 5298.
  • Intel Core i3-4350, runs at 3.6 GHz, costs about € 118 here, PassMark score 5170.
  • Intel Core i3-4360, runs at 3.7 GHz, costs about € 129 here, PassMark score 5579.
  • Intel Core i3-4370, runs at 3.8 GHz, costs about € 141 here, not rated yet.
You can keep everything else on your shopping list, but you do need to replace the motherboard of course. It costs about € 50 here. You'll need to replace it with a motherboard suitable for Intel Socket 1150. Prices start as low as € 37 for that here, so at the price point of € 50 I think you should be able to find something.

For the motherboard, at that price point, you'll be looking at motherboard with Intel H81 chipsets or Intel B85 chipsets. The former is entry level consumer, the latter budget level business. I think feature wise the B85 is a better choice (considering this list), because of option for more USB and SATA connectors (but if you don't need that...).

At that price point you could get the ASUS H81M-PLUS for example, which has the H81 chipset. It has good connectivity.

Slighly more expensive at about € 60 is the Asus B85M-G, if you have a preference for ASUS this is a good board with B85 chipset. In a recent budget boards review this got top scores. It has more USB and SATA connectors than the H81 based ASUS H81M-PLUS. With less USB connectors, less SATA connectors, less DIMM slots, and no HDMI connector (but if that doesn't matter to you...), the MSI B85M-P33 at about € 54 here also got top scores and is a bit more power efficient than the Asus.

Motherboards will take some more comparing I think :) Anyway, how much room total is there in your budget for CPU + graphics card + motherboard? Perhaps some alternatives are possible if there is more budget. Above is based on stay at same price point.
zenqqa

Post by zenqqa »

I live in the us. I can also switch out the CPU for the amd anthon x2 370k. Sorry for long response it was 12:00pm when I made this topic
zenqqa

Post by zenqqa »

This is a budget gaming pc
zenqqa

Post by zenqqa »

I switch the specs a little the CPU is different and the dedicated graphics card
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

gaming pc
what kind of games are you looking at running on it?
Most games run in a windows emulated environment so the graphic card compatibility would be the first thing to check.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

PatH57 wrote: Most games run in a windows emulated environment so the graphic card compatibility would be the first thing to check.
Did you heard about a small game company who released Steam lately?
zenqqa

Post by zenqqa »

Checked gt640 2gb is compatible with Ubuntu so it is compatible with mint
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Good tweak I think, and should probably work fine. I didn't check compatibility of your motherboard or look at it in detail.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Steam lately
It's a completely free digital distribution platform but how many games are natively coded for Linux? most of the games are only ported to Linux else if they existed as native why would you need Steam to buy them?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: is this computer i am building compatiable with mint(sol

Post by xenopeek »

PatH57, you're mistaken. Most Linux games are built with a multiplatform game engine (like Unity3D; not the desktop enviroment), making it easy for developers using such a game engine to release their games fully native and optimized on Windows, OS X, and Linux. There are examples of games released on Linux that were basically just Wine wrapped around the Windows release, but that was uncommen on Steam and is getting less common as major game engine developers have all very much matured their Linux support. More and more games are also release, natively, for Linux through Steam (and HumbleBundle and others).

That doesn't mean it's not a consideration when building a Linux gaming computer of course, if the games you want to play are only available for Windows :wink:
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

PatH57 wrote:most of the games are only ported to Linux else if they existed as native why would you need Steam to buy them?
Steam is a shopping center...
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

And SteamOS is a Linux based next-gen game console operating system, with hardware manufacturers starting to label their products as supporting SteamOS :) Like MSI on their X99 gaming motherboards: http://game.msi.com/product/motherboard/x99-gaming
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

is getting less common as major game engine developers have all very much matured their Linux support
true we just released 2 beta and will see how the testing goes.
still would be nice to know what kind of games the OP will run on this.

Return to “Open Chat”