Becoming Advanced

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
tuxpenguin8

Becoming Advanced

Post by tuxpenguin8 »

Hi,

I am a new linux user, and don't know how to do many things. I want to become an advanced user beause it will allow me to get more out of linux, help people learn to use linux, and eventually be able to use OpenBSD.

But I don't know how to beome an advanced user or what to do to become one. So do any of you know what can help me, places that can help, and any advice on beoming a new advaned user?

Thanks,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Becoming Advanced

Post by xenopeek »

Good recommendation I saw elsewhere, from EyeR I think on chat, was to approach learning Linux task-based. Pick a task, then learn about it. Practice your Google-fu.

If you can't come up with any tasks, just start trying to help others. I learned more about Linux in the first 6 months helping others on this forums than I learned in the years just using it before. VirtualBox to run the different Linux Mint versions helps with that.

Just two places to start learning some new things--

Learn about the command line: http://en.flossmanuals.net/command-line/
Learn about Debian system administration: http://debian-handbook.info/

Both books can be read online or downloaded for free, or for purchased in print. Linux Mint is ultimately based on Debian, and uses Debian's package management system. Many things of the Debian book are applicable and relevant to Linux Mint also.
tuxpenguin8

Post by tuxpenguin8 »

Hi,

Your help will help me beome an advanced user, so I will be able to use OpenBSD.

Your help has been AWESOME!!!

Thanks,
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

If you ultimately want to run OpenBSD, you need to get comfortable on the command line I think :wink:
tuxpenguin8

Post by tuxpenguin8 »

But if I want a graphical desktop in OpenBSD, I type in (startx) in the command line, and it bring up a graphical desktop. It may look bland, barren, and old, but the graphical user interface or GUI, is an after thought. Although you can change the default desktop to one they use in linux, like Xfce, GNOME, KDE, Linux Format said they work in OpenBSD (issue 179).
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

tuxpenguin8 wrote:But if I want a graphical desktop in OpenBSD, I type in (startx) in the command line, and it bring up a graphical desktop.
OpenBSD's installer asks you if you want the desktop to start automatically. :)

BTW, you can't learn Linux to understand OpenBSD. The other way might work. OpenBSD requires a lot of reading manuals. You really should do that.

Return to “Open Chat”