Superbowl 50?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Superbowl 50?

Post by Fred Barclay »

Obviously I'm not, but are there any Americans (or other nationalities, either) here who are watching Superbowl 50 tonight?

If so, who are you rooting for? ("Rooting" is an American phrase, right? I've only heard it in the States.)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Alley Cat

Re: Superbowl 50?

Post by Alley Cat »

Since my Cardinals didn't make it, I'm in "I don't really care" mode this year! ;)
LinuxJim

Post by LinuxJim »

Not a football fan. I'm watching "I Love Lucy" reruns at the moment. :)
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

I'm watching it but don't care who wins it.
cholq

Post by cholq »

as long as it is an entertaining game, I don't care who wins.

and what phrase is used outside of the US if you don't "root" for teams?
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

cholq wrote: and what phrase is used outside of the US if you don't "root" for teams?
I'm not crazily into sports* so I can't tell you too much... but American culture is everywhere so it's easy to pick up on (usually).

Depending on what part of the world, you have "cheer", "back", "defend" (though usually "defend" is used after the game--at least when I've heard it). I've even heard something along the lines of "raising a huzzah" or something like that once or twice--it looks terribly awkward in print but didn't sound quite so much... okay, it sounded just as awkward when spoken. At least if you're not a 195-pound Brit. :)

I want to say Latin America has its own unique phrase but I just can't remember what it was at the moment.

BTW: Interesting that only Americans have responded (so far, anyway). I guess the Superbowl doesn't extend outside the States?

*I do love playing cricket, though.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
poorguy

Post by poorguy »

i haven't ever really cared about watching sports.
as kids we all played neighborhood baseball and that was cool.
baseball i like and will listen to it on the radio so i can be doing something else.

had a few invites to a Superbowl party but didn't want to be around a bunch of loud mouth drunks screaming at a television.
we just stayed in and cooked a meatloaf with garlic / onions / peppers and after it was just pulled out of the oven sprinkled three different kinds of cheese on it. we stay around the house a lot.

a good day or night to all wherever you live.

life is good.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

z31fanatic wrote:I'm watching it but don't care who wins it.
Besides UFC/MMA, this is the only sporting "event" I watch in any given year, and IDC who wins either.
Only a first grade lunchroom had more sacks than Cam Newton.
The half-time "show" sucked.

Commercials were pretty good.
Last edited by Habitual on Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Defense wins championships. Denver's defense are making Cam Newton and his offense look like school boys.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Habitual wrote: The half-time "show" sucked.
Coldplay and Beyonce. What else did we expect?
d00med

Post by d00med »

I'm watching The Walking Dead. Not much of a sports fan.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

I appreciate a good defensive game, and the Broncos turned in the best Superbowl performance by a defense since the 1985 Bears.
And I appreciate the Broncos defense even more for knocking the Patriots out of the playoffs - :lol: :lol: :lol:

And, yes, that did make me absent from the forum for hours, and I would suppose the same is true for other US mintiacs..
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

In the States Football is fixed. The Quarterback in this game obviously was paid off (or threatened) to help the other team. That would not happen in other countries because they would kill him. Just kidding. No, I did not watch it in fact I do not even pay for TV service or watch it on my computer.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

austin.texas wrote: And I appreciate the Broncos defense even more for knocking the Patriots out of the playoffs - :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't like that classless organization either but I have to admit, they are winners.

Return to “Open Chat”