Your opinions on Windows 10 so far..

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Your opinions on Windows 10 so far..

Post by BigEasy »

lexon wrote:He does mostly music ad some videos to transfer to his iPad and back up his iPad.
Win 10 simply the best OS ever made (suddenly most expensive too) for such kind of complicated tasks! As they say "Do familiar things. The best Windows yet is here."
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
lexon

Post by lexon »

Stepson's upgrade was free. If I have to pay for anything, still cheaper than a new laptop. I have ways.
Plugging in an iPhone, I see, cannot mount.
iPad, nothing shows up.

Cannot use iTunes.

At least have Linux security when buying online at home which I do a lot. Never buy with iPhone or iPad and will never buy with a Windows PC.
Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.
L
poorguy

Post by poorguy »

defender is not the problem you need to leave the laptop on long enough so that everything can install and update. a couple of times a week on a new install isn't going to cut it because there is alot to install at 1st and then update. i would leave it on for several days and let it get up to where it is. the problem with you who use laptops never leave them on long enough to update and get completely finished with everything before you start complaining. i only do this for a living so i do not know what i am talking about.
people bring me laptops all of the time because nothing works right and all that needs to be done is letting it run all of the updates. and yes i do charge them. it is the price to be educated.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

lexon wrote:Stepson's upgrade was free.
I am guessing that the member was using sarcasm as a literary tool. Either that, or he/she was talking about the very, very high cost of, err, pouring away one's privacy and expectation of same - the latter having already been mentioned in court cases in the United States and it would NOT be much of a leap to one day hear, "You are using a Microsoft OS, therefore you obviously have no reasonable expectation of privacy" as part of a courtroom decision.
poorguy wrote:you need to leave the laptop on long enough so that everything can install and update. a couple of times a week on a new install isn't going to cut it because there is alot to install at 1st and then update. i would leave it on for several days and let it get up to where it is.
I thought Microsoft OS (a) refused to shut down until they had finished whatever updating that they were in the midst of (more or less just seeming to take an awful long time to finish shutting down when that occurred), (b) informed the user that updating was still taking place and to NOT attempt to remove power from the computer, and (c) finished the current update process upon booting/restarting (taking longer to boot as a consequence). Did that change with Microsoft's Windows 10? BtW, what happened to Microsoft's Windows 9, lol? Was it so bad that they didn't even attempt to get people interested in it?

I also thought that the only updates that Microsoft's OS downloaded in the background without the user's knowledge/approval was, well, the Microsoft Windows 10 "up"grade :roll: .

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Windows is on version 10, whilst Linux Mint is up to version 17.

Therefore my opinion is "So there!"
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
poorguy

Post by poorguy »

when laptops go to sleep or hibernate or you close the lid depends on how the power plan is setup it will not always finish installing updates. with fresh new installs it can take several different sessions to get all the updates to install completely. yes it is suppose to finish updating before it powers down however that isn't always the case.

on windows 7 i did a clean install due to a problem with a windows 10 botched upgrade and total time from start to finish with 300 plus updates and adobe software plus antivirus plus drivers etc was about 6hrs time. sometimes you are only able to install a handful at a time in order to get them to install without them failing.

i have down several windows 10 upgrades and haven't incurred to many problems other than video card issues and wireless adapters and usually i can find windows 7 drivers that will install and work very well. laptops give the most problems due to wireless adapter problems so i will use a wired connection and not have any issues.

the poorguy
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Flemur wrote:Windows is on version 10, whilst Linux Mint is up to version 17.

Therefore my opinion is "So there!"
"Wait, you mean it took Mint 17 different versions and it only took Windows 10?"

:lol:

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

poorguy wrote:on windows 7 i did a clean install due to a problem with a windows 10 botched upgrade and total time from start to finish with 300 plus updates and adobe software plus antivirus plus drivers etc was about 6hrs time.
Six hours, huh? The last time I installed Mint, (IIRC) I spent less than 45 minutes doing so. That included downloading the .ISO, checking its md5sum, following the directions for placing it in a certain directory and doing some bit of magic (that I don't remember, but the thread is here) to get it into my grub menu, restarting the computer, selecting the .ISO at boot time as if it were any other already-installed linux, booting it, and then doing the install routine. (I thought, the first time I ever installed a distro from a prepared USB flash drive instead of a DVD, that it was fast - but installing directly from the hard drive in the computer to the same hard drive (different partition) really was FAST :P ). There would, of course, have been some time required to pull in and install the (then) current set of updates, but nowhere near five+ hours.

Although, I suppose... It might have been a fairer comparison had I installed Mint 13 instead of 17.whatever (it was either 17.1 or 17.2), since Microsoft's Windows 7 has been around longer and - naturally - there would have been more updates released. Still, though... SIX HOURS? I'm not getting any younger; I'd hate to waste that much time :roll: .

Laughing,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

poorguy

Post by poorguy »

that is the bummer about windows when you have to do a full complete install to do it right it does take time.
when you charge what i charge people to do a complete install you can't have any failed updates. i wouldn't put up with that and i don't expect my customers to either.

one of the reasons i like linux is because i can install it and run updates in less than an hour.

windows 10 upgrades has done me very well as i have had to fix lots of peoples laptop problems when they are trying or have done an upgrade. seems they just don't want to try and do it themselves.

i am not complaining at all it is most of the time an easy fix as mentioned earlier usually wireless driver issues or graphics adapters and sometimes touch pad and mouse problems.

the poorguy
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

If these numbers are true, even if you are a hater, you have to admit that those are impressive numbers.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10- ... -milestone

Post by 1.618 »

z31fanatic wrote:If these numbers are true, even if you are a hater, you have to admit that those are impressive numbers.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10- ... -milestone
How many of those are machines that have had to be re-installed a few times because it bodged up? ;-)
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

1.618 wrote: How many of those are machines that have had to be re-installed a few times because it bodged up? ;-)
I am willing to bet that it's a lot less times than Cinnamon crashes for me. :wink:
Chiefahol

Post by Chiefahol »

Does anyone know if explorer.exe is still a nightmarish unreliable piece of turd in windows10?

It is literally the most unreliable file system manager i've ever witnessed. I have had freezes that require me to restart explorer.exe sooooooooo many times. (Like literally across 10 win7 installations)

If win10 has a fixed explorer.exe then i am genuinely interested, otherwise it's just the same piece of #$!% with more bloatware.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Windows continues to be pushing its spying on user's computers
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... r=yahootix
Ranthe
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ranthe »

My wife tried upgrading Win7 on her laptop to Win10 the other week - but after six failed attempts she eventually determined that her three-year-old Dell Inspiron 5520 was not and never will be (thanks, Dell :x ) Win10 compatible.

It runs Mint 17.2 Cinnamon in dual-boot just fine though! :-)

She needs some kind of access to MS Office functionality/compatibility for her business, so the plan at this point is that when Win7 goes out of support, one of the following will happen:
  • By then LibreOffice will be sufficiently MS file-compatible to be effectively the same as having MS Office (she doesn't yet have the confidence in version 5 yet for compatibility, and version 4 gave her some issues),
  • She switches to using an online version of MS Office that runs on a browser and is therefore accessible from Linux,
  • We isolate the Win7 side of things from accessing the Internet and continue using it, or
  • She gets a new Win10 laptop and we immediately get it to dual-boot Linux Mint. (At which point I'd "inherit" the old one and probably nuke Windows entirely in favour of a dedicated Linux Mint system :mrgreen: )
Cabal2122

Post by Cabal2122 »

Here is my personal opinion and views on windows 10.

What is good, and why you should have it

1) windows is the most common OS out their, with that said, most of your tech and software either runs with it and linux, or simply runs with it alone. This will give you an ability to interact with it.

2) it is by far the best game box you will ever own. Access to untold media entertainment on steam, gametap, and so forth.

3) they did away with forcing you to use Metro. So now we fixed the major issue with windows 8.

4) for now, they are charging a sensible amount for the OS. Nothing. Meaning for now it is a free upgrade. This means further proliferation of windows and windows only devices and software.

What is not good, and what to do about it

1) the darn thing spies on you, and there is nothing you can do about it. So install it only on a decent gaming desktops or laptops and use it solely for that. Don't even bother using it as a duel boot system, don't use it for work, don't do anything else with it, just use it for games. Make sure you cover up the camera and microphone, it will be used against you. As a rule of thumb, do NOT pirate. With that said, should you take it upon yourself to brake the law, do so without this installed on a computer. With new laws such as the TPP being established, corporations may have rain to violate your privacy rights in the name of intellectual property rights. Windows 10 anticipates this political climate. You will be forced into that system with no recourse.

2) It will become insanely expensive when the free upgrade ends. Best to grab a legal copy now just for the sake of having it.

In review

Honestly, Linux fulfils all of our needs and majority of our wants. So Linux Mint is my goto for everything. The only reason worth keeping Windows 10 around is to run LEGAL games on it.
richmorehave

Post by richmorehave »

Windows 10 is very good OS, the problem with it is the spyware. And I don't understand why there is not an uprising in the Windows community.

When you read the privacy document and it states that MS gives itself the RIGHT to scan and SAVE all your private emails, private files, and private folders, and share it with their friends, and also turn you in to whoever if MS finds anything that it doesn't like. That is very scary.

And why the Major News Media doesn't confront MS about the policy, it is very frustrating.

MS answer is that it's not using all that info about you for advertising. They don't address the issue at all.

Unless more people complain so MS gives us a OPT-OUT where it states you have OPTION, where we will continue to collect all your private files, emails, and private folders because you orginally gave us permission, or OPT-OUT and we promise not to scan and SAVE all your private emails, private folders, and private files. It has to be in BLACK and WHITE so it's very clear.

That is why I switched to LINUX the last month. I don't trust MS. And I know MS will bypass any settings people try to block, because they can do it with update. So unless they have OPT-OUT feature and change their privacy statements, I will avoid going online with windows 10 and use LInux for my day to day OS.

So the Windows 0S is great, but the spying is not.

It would be nice if Linux MINT got more news coverage as alternative to windows 10 spyware.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

richmorehave wrote:Windows 10 is very good OS, the problem with it is the spyware. And I don't understand why there is not an uprising in the Windows community.
Remember the flying sheep screensaver? You could just as easily rename the thing "Flying Microsoft Windows Users."
richmorehave wrote:Unless more people complain so MS gives us a OPT-OUT where it states you have OPTION
Opt-Out? Very Bad Things should - if they are to be allowable at all - be opt-IN. Defaults should ALWAYS be the safest / most secure / least damaging option, for the very reason that Microsoft has set things up to be the opposite - because not every user bothers to change the default settings.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Cabal2122 wrote:Here is my personal opinion and views on windows 10.

What is good, and why you should have it
Cabal2122 wrote:most of your tech and software either runs with it and linux, or simply runs with it alone.
Not in my case, lol. As a matter of fact, I don't think that even Synaptic Package Manager runs on it :lol: .
Cabal2122 wrote:it is by far the best game box you will ever own. Access to untold media entertainment on steam, gametap, and so forth.
Better than X-Box (One?) and Playstation (4?)? Admittedly, I don't know much about games so I have no idea which "game box" is the best, but is it capable of playing SDL Slash'Em and AisleRiot?
Cabal2122 wrote:they did away with forcing you to use Metro. So now we fixed the major issue with windows 8.
I've never been forced to use Metro (whatever that is). Maybe it's just a Microsoft thing? If so... Vinnie the loanshark did away with breaking both your legs if you miss a single payment (now he breaks one arm) - does that make him the best place to go when you need a loan?
Cabal2122 wrote:for now, they are charging a sensible amount for the OS. Nothing. Meaning for now it is a free upgrade.
Cabal2122 wrote:spies on you, and there is nothing you can do about it.
So... You contradicted yourself there; It isn't free after all - in fact, there is a very serious COST to using Microsoft Windows 10. I'm sure (if you have access to a town/city with a population of, IDK, 5,000+ people in it) if you looked hard enough, you could find a heroin dealer that will give you that first dose for FREE. I hope you never encounter such a person - because, after reading your above statements, I would be very worried that you would jump at that offer. Since, you know... It's free, as in you don't have to spend money to get it. Me - and I hope lots of other people - realize it's actually very expensive, as in what it costs the user.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Windows 10 makes changing defaults more difficult:
http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/18/9563 ... ser-prompt

I'm clearly not a MS fan, but in the past I mostly considered them jerks when they did stupid things and fought hard against Linux. Yet I think the way they are ramming all things Windows 10 down people's throats is moving toward "evil" territory.

Return to “Open Chat”