Your opinions on Windows 10 so far..

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Your opinions on Windows 10 so far..

Post by MtnDewManiac »

coffee412 wrote:
MtnDewManiac wrote:Perhaps coffee412 is confusing UEFI with Secure Boot? (I did that, too, to begin with.)
I think I did. Wasnt it MS that pushed for UEFI though? Perhaps my failing mind is thinking Secure boot.
Looks like Intel started it. From Wikipedia:
The original motivation for EFI came during early development of the first Intel–HP Itanium systems in the mid-1990s. BIOS limitations (such as 16-bit processor mode, 1 MB addressable space and PC AT hardware) had become too restrictive for the larger server platforms Itanium was targeting. The effort to address these concerns began in 1998 and was initially called Intel Boot Initiative; it was later renamed to EFI.

In July 2005, Intel ceased its development of the EFI specification at version 1.10, and contributed it to the Unified EFI Forum, which has evolved the specification as the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI). The original EFI specification remains owned by Intel, which exclusively provides licenses for EFI-based products, but the UEFI specification is owned by the Forum.
And one about the UEFI Forum:
The Unified Extensible Firmware Interface Forum or UEFI Forum is an alliance between several leading technology companies to modernize the booting process. The board of directors includes representatives from eleven "Promoter" companies: AMD, American Megatrends, Apple, Dell, HP, IBM, Insyde Software, Intel, Lenovo, Microsoft, and Phoenix Technologies.
Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

KBD47 wrote:
I notice some of those Windows versions say "with Bing" so any discount may be paid for via Bing search.
Correct, as long as the computer ships with Bing as the default search engine, manufacturers don't have to pay MS.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

after which, the end user is free to change both the search engine & the browser ..
- to something else.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Too much freedom! Damn you M$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

MS claims that W10 is on 75 million devices now. Pretty impressive if those numbers are true. At 53 million installs, W10 had 5% of the market. It should be around 7% now.
pug66

Post by pug66 »

coffee412, right-click on Windows start button to go to control panel.
BlueKnight

Post by BlueKnight »

According to this: https://www.netmarketshare.com/operatin ... share.aspx

Linux is more popular than Windows 10 on the desktop at the moment.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Your link shows month of July. W10 had only come out on July 29th. Should be way above Linux now.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

it's currently something above 12% of market share,
- but that won't be proven, until the end of the month.

the big thing is, can it sustain this level of rising market share,
once the initial hoopla is over ?.
- probably not.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

I always heard that viruses tended to spread like wildfire. Although, with the newest mutation of Microsoft's OS, I really cannot decide whether it should be classed as a virus, general malware, or a trojan. I suppose that, regardless, the monikers of spyware and adware would have to apply (by pretty much anyone's definition).

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

Pierre wrote:it's currently something above 12% of market share,
- but that won't be proven, until the end of the month.

the big thing is, can it sustain this level of rising market share,
once the initial hoopla is over ?.
- probably not.
I tend to think Windows 10 is taking market share from Windows 8/8.1 users, but not very much from Windows 7 users. If this is the case, then when Windows 10 has basically taken all the market share from Windows 8/8.1 users, it will "hit the wall" and start to stagnate market share wise because the vast majority of Windows 7 users "won't take the bait" of the free upgrade offer to Windows 10.

If the above becomes Reality, then MSFT will have Windows 7 turning into another XP making Windows 7 "the he bull in the pasture" market share wise.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

z31fanatic wrote:MS claims that W10 is on 75 million devices now.
Truth is 75 millions Windows 7/8 users (not newborn windows users) clicked at "free upgrade". It will stops within one year. We will see after.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

BigEasy wrote:
Truth is 75 millions Windows 7/8 users (not newborn windows users) clicked at "free upgrade". It will stops within one year. We will see after.
Don't forget that all new PCs now are shipping with 10 installed so the number of 10 users will still rise even after the 1 year. Only a few business computers still ship with 7 or 8.1.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Really I don't care how much different Windows users became Windows 10 users and how soon and which ways. Early XP was terrible as hell, but recently all the Globe was Windows XP users. So what?
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

BigEasy wrote:
Yes, they made it easy to upgrade, so I expect many people just clicked to upgrade and the numbers will grow quickly. A lady recently asked me whether she should upgrade, I told her no. Some Windows 7 users are not loving Windows 10, aside from the spying/privacy issue.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Everybody knows Microsoft do something to make profit. If they don't let free upgrade for one year, then NOBODY buy W10 in that one year remembering fail of W8*. So, Microsoft lost nothing until summer 2016. So free upgrate is just promotion for future profit. They hope.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Yeah being on 13% of all desktop computers was a real fail for W8. :roll:

Everyone here wishes that all the Linux distros together could reach that low number of 13%.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Yes 13% for Linux would be a great success. But 13% for Microsoft OS is fail.
pacho37

Post by pacho37 »

z31fanatic wrote:Yeah being on 13% of all desktop computers was a real fail for W8. :roll:

Everyone here wishes that all the Linux distros together could reach that low number of 13%.
Firstly: For Microsoft 13% was a failure considering their, then recent, past (XP and 7) and it's safe to say they weren't happy with the numbers. For many users W8 was a failure too because of the interface but that is another topic.
Secondly: Using the phrase/argument 'everyone here wishes...' is not really that smart - one counterexample, one person who doesn't wish for the thing stated, refutes the argument. And there are people, also here,
for whom desktop adoption of linux is completely irrelevant, some even said that widespread adoption is not advisable at all.
Contrary to Microsoft, linux being installed on less than 13% of desktop computers is not a failure because 'linux' (or people behind it) is not a company and it doesn't have to make its shareholders happy and produce yearly numbers.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

13% of the market in only 3 years is not a fail.

Return to “Open Chat”