Your opinions on Windows 10 so far..

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
JohnBobSmith

So I tried to install Windows OS today and...

Post by JohnBobSmith »

...Every single reason I dislike the OS came flooding back to me.

My reason for wanting to install a Windows OS is so that my brother could play some of his windows-only games that didn’t work well in WINE. Truth be told, it was a failure. Windows installed okay, then I tried to plug in my USB Wifi adapter and who could have thought? Driver not successfully installed. And since I don't have a way to wire in to get internet access, I just gave up after wasting 3 hours.

People complain about how ancient, awful or horrible Linux is, and to them I say this: Let me know the next time your Windows PC crashes, requires a reboot, or fails randomly. Because I will be laughing at you, from the incredible world of Linux.

Best wishes to all,
JohnBobSmith
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: So I tried to install Windows OS today and...

Post by jimallyn »

Can you download the driver you need from Linux to your Windows drive, and then do the install offline?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Asim

Your opinions on Windows 10 so far..

Post by Asim »

Since Windows 10 has been released what do you all think of it for those who have installed and used it.

On a personal note I kind of hate all the CLOUD based stuff, I've always hated cloud based services with the exception of Dropbox for University work. I hate how Microsoft want you to use a Microsoft account (Which is possible to change) and I hate why I have junk apps I cannot uninstall such as Music (??)

Other than that it seems okay, I like the design, but I kinda still prefer Windows 7 Pro (Less spying, less junk). It seemed more fast. If I had the chance I would permanently replace Windows on my Laptop with Mint, but as a .Net Web Developer, that aint no easy choice for me!
BlueKnight

Re: Your opinions on Windows 10 so far..

Post by BlueKnight »

I tested Windows 10 myself, it is good. If I was a Windows user I would definitely upgrade.
On a personal note I kind of hate all the CLOUD based stuff
Me too.
I hate how Microsoft want you to use a Microsoft account
Me too.
and I hate why I have junk apps I cannot uninstall such as Music
This is not new. Windows Media Player, Edge, and everything they include like this cannot be removed. And I hate it as well.
still prefer Windows 7 Pro (Less spying, less junk).
I feel Windows 10 is quite focused on spying. They took advantage of anything they could.
Other than that it seems okay, I like the design
It was not a great re-design, but still very good. If you analyze some details, I think they were somewhat lazy in this regard.

Just my opinion.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

W10 disappoints me. For two reasons:
1. It reset my UEFI to its default settings, thus temporarily disabling my dual boot; :shock:
2. It's W10 Home, so I have to live with compulsory automatic updates ("don't shut down your computer; installing update 1 from 256").
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Tried it, reinstalled Mint 17.2 Cinnamon back on to take over the whole computer again. Windows 10 reminds me a little bit of when I first started using Linux six years ago. It seems to take a lot of workarounds to get things just the way I want. The difference is Linux was worth it; Windows 10 is not worth the trouble. In my opinion Mint far surpasses Windows 10 in ease of use and capability. I'm not a heavy gamer, so Linux is the clear winner.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Asim

Post by Asim »

BlueKnight wrote:I tested Windows 10 myself, it is good. If I was a Windows user I would definitely upgrade.

and I hate why I have junk apps I cannot uninstall such as Music
This is not new. Windows Media Player, Edge, and everything they include like this cannot be removed. And I hate it as well.
What I mean was that there are apps you cannot remove like Music, Weather?, News (Wmplayer, internet explorer in previous windows could be turned off in program + features). You can't turn off the build in Music app, store and I go an Xbox app I do not need!
Pjotr wrote:W10 disappoints me. For two reasons:
1. It reset my UEFI to its default settings, thus temporarily disabling my dual boot; :shock:
2. It's W10 Home, so I have to live with compulsory automatic updates ("don't shut down your computer; installing update 1 from 256").
I got Pro version, in the home version is it no possible to turn of automatic updates? I think mine is set to notify me.

tdockery97 wrote:Tried it, reinstalled Mint 17.2 Cinnamon back on to take over the whole computer again. Windows 10 reminds me a little bit of when I first started using Linux six years ago. It seems to take a lot of workarounds to get things just the way I want. The difference is Linux was worth it; Windows 10 is not worth the trouble. In my opinion Mint far surpasses Windows 10 in ease of use and capability. I'm not a heavy gamer, so Linux is the clear winner.
I've installed Linux loads of times, but have go really into it since starting uni last year (We use red hat enterprise at uni). I actually really like Mint, but will always need Windows for games, plus .Net (even though Microsoft is porting .net to linux, but it's a long way away) and programs like office which are just way better than the free ones. Only reason I really need windows :D

The other thing I hate is these gimmicky features like Cortana, these features are maybe useful when driving, but I really don't want to be talking to my computer, if I want the news I'll search news, if I want weather I'll look outside lol. These things are extra "add-ons" which we should be able to uninstall and avoid so much privacy issues. I mean it works quite nicely and yes they need to collect info for that to work, but if you're not going to use it, I don't want the process running in the background..:)

These things annoy me, I want to be free when using an OS..
rbmorse

Post by rbmorse »

Operationally, I think it's fine. I've been beating on the technology preview running as a VM under Mint for a couple of months now and haven't been able to bust it in a meaningful way that hadn't already been documented by the dev team. Everything I've tried works, and the performance is quite good.

Aesthetically, I think it sucks dead road kill through diseased yeti guts. I do not like the "flat" design and ultra-basic color schemes (goes for you too, Google). If I wanted to do computing on a small, under powered, under-resourced portable device, that's what I'd use. Instead, I use a fully functional desktop PC and I have cycles, memory and storage for pretty things, like Cinnamon.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

I have it on my HTPC which only has 4GB of RAM and a Celeron processor (though it does have an mSATA SSD). It's very fluid and fast. And Cortana works very well and is really helpful.
W10 is definitely a keeper on this machine.
I haven't upgraded the 8.1 partition on my Macbook yet. I will wait to make sure that Solidworks and Mastercam are compatible with W10 before I make the switch.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

it's just competing with Apple / Google Store - No :o there.

the home version really does lock the user’s PC down, somewhat.

it really does need at least 2Gb ram, or it's too slow, for practical use.

it's the Vista users, who have missed out, big time. ..

if you get the "English" version - you are stuck with US English,
- get the English International version, instead.
in Europe - you can get the N version.

and Cinnamon is definitely better. :!:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
mintybits

Post by mintybits »

The way it snaps windows into half screen or quarter screen and the way it restores the windows original size when you jiggle it is excellent.
Last edited by mintybits on Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

mintybits wrote:The way it snaps windows into half screen or quarter screen and the way it restores the windows original size when you giggle it is excellent.
Something, Linux is doing since years right?
mintybits

Post by mintybits »

killer de bug wrote:
mintybits wrote:The way it snaps windows into half screen or quarter screen and the way it restores the windows original size when you jiggle it is excellent.
Something, Linux is doing since years right?
Not as far as I know...
JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

Well, that *could* work, the only thing is finding one that's compatible. My usb wifi adapter is rather old.

I might find some Linux-friendly games for my brother to play and enjoy. Or anything browser based. Linux is hassle free 98% of the time, the other 2% is often problems that are simple and logical to fix. I don't really want to bother with installing drivers on Windows. I will keep that solution in mind though, jimallyn, if I can't convince my brother to play something else.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Cinnamon does this. And I'm pretty sure it's not the only DE doing it.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

JohnBobSmith wrote:Let me know the next time your Windows PC crashes, requires a reboot, or fails randomly. Because I will be laughing at you, from the incredible world of Linux.
Last time that happened was in 2007.

Last time it happened in the incredible world of Linux? Two weeks ago. Cinnamon decided to not start anymore so I was left with a nice black screen to stare at.
Wiped that drive and now use it as a backup drive for my music collection :wink:

I bet you feel really free and liberated when you are messing with Linux :wink:
mintybits

Post by mintybits »

killer de bug wrote:Cinnamon does this. And I'm pretty sure it's not the only DE doing it.
You are right! I just enabled it. I'd better RTM. :D
mrdachshund86

Post by mrdachshund86 »

killer de bug wrote:Cinnamon does this. And I'm pretty sure it's not the only DE doing it.
So does MATE :D
3mutts

Post by 3mutts »

BTW those apps that you say can't be uninstalled can actually be uninstalled but you have to use Windows Powershell, I have a link below detailing how to do it (you can even remove Cortana and Edge but I wouldn't recommend it). So far though I think Windows 10 has been working quite well on my gaming pc (hadn't had driver issues yet) and has even worked well on my Dell Dimension E521 and Dell Latitude D610 (they are still running the preview but it's the same build that was released a few days ago). I will eventually update all of the PCs in the house from 7 to 10.

Link: http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-unins ... indows-10/
pacho37

Post by pacho37 »

Too often people use their personal experience to demonstrate their usually hyperbolic point.
'so windows crashed once, obviously it is a useless operating system, doesn't matter I didn't care to install latest updates, played around with registry tools and visited dozens of suspicious websites etc'
and similarly: 'yeah cinnamon crashed, this clearly shows that linux in general is an amateur OS, is unstable and not suitable for anyone - doesn't matter I fooled around with compiz settings, installed programs from some random PPA's etc.'

Both systems have their strengths and weaknesses and millions of people have used both various windows and linux versions for years without problems,
so in my opinion when your system crashes it's probably more productive to go online and search for solutions instead of going bananas and trying to prove that what you dislike should be disliked by all other people too.

Return to “Open Chat”