Title Bar unreachable behind top menu bar in xfce

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
patrick_here

Title Bar unreachable behind top menu bar in xfce

Post by patrick_here »

I installed Linux Mint 12 with xubuntu-desktop.

Whenever I click a LibreOffice file (to open it) the window comes up but the position of the window is so high on the desktop that the Title Bar of the LibreOffice window is hidden below the MenuBar of the xfce desktop ...So I cannot reach the LibreOffice window to reposition it, I can only exit the application.

How do I fix this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sanda

Re: Title Bar unreachable behind top menu bar in xfce

Post by sanda »

I've moved my panel to the bottom edge of screen but, yeah, I recall getting frustrated by this xfce bug you've described.

AFAIK, the only practical solution is to right-click the panel, edit its properties, and set its behavior to "auto-hide".
With autohide enabled, the problem goes away (but will immediately return if you later toggle autohide off for the panel).

An impractical (IMO) solution would involve editing the theme settings governing the "window chrome" (of application windows), adding padding to the top portion of the title bar. Ugh, wasted space.
patrick_here

Post by patrick_here »

Well I'm now unable to duplicate the problem to verify the fix....

But I think I've answered my own quesiton. When the TitleBar is unreachable, a window can always be moved by Alt-LeftClick-ing anywhere in the window.

Alternatively there's a fix mentioned in this forum:
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... =5&t=46263
...which I'll try if the problem re-appears.
emdio

Post by emdio »

September 2014 and still the same issue.

I've been using manjaro+xfce for several months and this issue didn't appear, but it does on lmde.

The only way I've found to kind of solve it is to manually adjust the "no maximized window" to fit the limit of the vertical panel. So if I maximize the window, just double click on the top bar and it fits to the border...
shengchieh

Post by shengchieh »

For XFCE, alt+mouse moves any window.

Sheng-Chieh
herbie643
Level 3
Level 3

Post by herbie643 »

Also you might check on Panel Properties and see if

Don't reserve space on borders is checked

If checked the windows titlebars will display underneath the panel.

Return to “Xfce”