Advanced XFCE Menu Editing. How do you do it?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
molom

Re: Advanced XFCE Menu Editing. How do you do it?

Post by molom »

Ultumix wrote:I can get into the XFCE menu editor and change the name of FireFox to Internet and other things but I can't seem to add things that I want to without it getting rid of them. What I'm trying to do is to make a Windows 98/XP style menu that people are use to.

I wanted to put a programs menu in there but even if it would let me I can't add the apps to the menu because I don't know the commands to start the programs. In KDE I can right click on the apps and tell it to put the commands in the run Decalogue or make shortcuts to the Desktop. Even if I could just make shortcuts to the desktop I could find out what commands the shortcuts were using.

Then I can't edit the submenues like the Accessories menu or the networking menu.

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.
I don't think you can have sub menus/folders in the XFCE menu. You can do that in KDE, but I've haven't seen such a thing in XFCE, but I may be wrong.

Cheers,
molom
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Everything that is in the menu is in /usr/share/applications
If you want to add anything to the menu you need to make a .desktop file in /usr/share/applications
Then it will show in the menu.
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 110&t=6202
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

There is no script that changes the menu.xml file.
Can you upload the file so I can test it.
Also did you try to save it in /etc/xdg/xfce4/desktop (this will make it the default)
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

I don't see any attachments.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Ultumix, to make your menu you can try MenuMaker (I don't know if Ubuntu has a package for it, I'm not in Mint now. Maybe seek in Synaptic) It does not function with all WMs but for Xfce version 4 yes and it functions correctly. (I used it with Window Maker and IceWM)
Then you will have to better classify certain elements and probably to remove some (yes all is detected :wink:)

Make a backup of your current menu in case...

"
Like xfce is to produce a light and fast desktop, there exists for the moment no GUI to edit the menu of the applications obtained by right-click on the desktop. One can on the other hand edit the sub-menus of bases thanks to xfce4-menueditor.

It will be necessary to edit the menu manually in order to add or to remove a new application. For that, it is necessary to add a desktop file in /usr/share/applications or a suppression, to rename the desktop file application (for example, to rename firefox.desktop in firefox.backup)

All this will be done of course as root. To have an idea of the contents of a desktop file, make as root:

Code: Select all

nano /usr/share/applications/firefoxdesktop
"

For manually edit the xml file (the menu) you can see here :-)
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

I am not sure why it doesn't work for you.
Copy and paste the text it the file and I will try it.
It is working fine here with the

Code: Select all

cp /etc/xdg/xfce4/desktop/menu.xml ~/.config/xfce4/desktop/menu.xml

Return to “Xfce”