Making XFCE Mint Edition look closer to the "standard" XFCE

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bleakcabal
Level 1
Level 1

Making XFCE Mint Edition look closer to the "standard" XFCE

Post by bleakcabal »

Hi,

I have just installed Mint 17.3 XFCE edition. I was wondering what are the available options to make XFCE look and behave more closely to a base standard XFCE (like it was installed and downloaded from the XFCE website)?

I could go through the different settings and modify them.
On the other end I could uninstall and re insttall.

Anything in between? What do people recommend?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: Making XFCE Mint Edition look closer to the "standard" X

Post by vrkalak »

This is because Mint-Xfce is NOT based on Xubuntu.

Regular Linux-Mint (Ubuntu) with Xfce added on top.

I am a Dev/Tester for Xfce DE ... I am not a Developer. Basically, I "squash" bug. :lol:
cholq

Post by cholq »

I installed mint cinnamon and then later installed xfce via the software manager. the version of xfce that was installed was the standard-looking version, not the "minty" looking version.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

cholq wrote:I installed mint cinnamon and then later installed xfce via the software manager. the version of xfce that was installed was the standard-looking version, not the "minty" looking version.
Much of the obvious differences would be in the choice of themes, number/size/location of panel(s), and what is placed on them, is it not?

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
cholq

Post by cholq »

MtnDewManiac wrote: Much of the obvious differences would be in the choice of themes, number/size/location of panel(s), and what is placed on them, is it not?
With one exception, you are correct. Just about every difference I see is purely cosmetic and I can easily change it if I really need to.

The only non-comsetic difference I found between my Mint XFCE install and my Mint Cinnamon w/XFCE installed on top of it is that the later doesn't have a menu option for managing the screen saver. There may be others, but I just haven't noticed them because they aren't pieces that I have looked for to use.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Making XFCE Mint Edition look closer to the "standard" XFCE

Post by Hoser Rob »

It's more than just themes. There are some xfce utilities that the Mint version doesn't use. Other distros do this too. It doesn't worry me a bit. DEs like xfce aren't really 'standards'.

I used to use Xubuntu and now I use MInt xfce. They're not as much the same as you might think. I think the Mint version is better put together than the 'buntu one. Same for the KDE versions.

Overall I don't see why you'd need to make it just like the 'standard' one.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
cholq

Post by cholq »

ByeByeXP wrote: Greetings! Have you considered to add the "Screensaver" plugin to xfce's panel? By adding this button, you'll open the same screensaver-config popup you'll see when you open the "All Settings" feature via the whisker- or xfce-menu. Try that -- it might just be what you'e missing ...
Honestly, I haven't really been that worried about it. How often do you really need to mess with the screensaver? At the time I realized it wasn't there, I just logged out and back in via Cinnamon and got the task done.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

ByeByeXP wrote:
cholq wrote:
MtnDewManiac wrote:... The only non-comsetic{I DID NOT WRITE THIS!!!}you'e missing ...
You attributed someone else's words to me in your above post. Please edit your post to correct this.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
richyrich

Re: Making XFCE Mint Edition look closer to the "standard" XFCE

Post by richyrich »

To the OP, just change sessions at the login screen, you'll know which one to choose! :wink:

Return to “Xfce”