Hover over panel shows not status information

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
k1ypp
Level 2
Level 2

Hover over panel shows not status information

Post by k1ypp »

In the other versions of Linux Mint I have used, whenever I've hovered the cursor over the panel icons, such as the WiFi or speaker, a status would pop up and show the name of the WiFi connection or the % of speaker volume setting. I can't seem to make this happen with the 17.3 Xfce version. I have an app that I have to often check speaker volume to ensure it isn't overmodulating a device.

This is on an older Toshiba Satellite A45-150S laptop, with an Intel 82852 video board.

Even when I click on it and bring up the volume control bar, it doesn't indicate percentage, it just shows a slider.

Any suggestions?

Dennis
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Hover over panel shows not status information

Post by MtnDewManiac »

That's the same behavior I get on Mint 17.0. And when I hover over the brightness panel applet, all I get is "Control your LCD brightness," lol. I get more informative pop-ups ("balloons?") when I hover over my CPU/Memory/Swap monitor and my network monitor. Nothing at all when I hover over my Bluetooth panel applet or the thing I use to change my CPU speed. DateTime doesn't show anything, either. mintUpdate tells me how many updates are available. And my weather applet gives me a good bit of information (current conditions, temperature, barometric pressure, relative humidity, wind speed/direction, et cetera). So I assume that the amount/type of information displayed when one hovers over a panel applet is "at the applet developer's discretion."

You might try installing a different speaker control applet (which might require installing something else, possibly a different audio whatzit) than the Xfce one. I think maybe in my GNOME 2.x days I got percentages. But I am not positive.

You could try submitting a feature request on bugzilla.xfce.org, I suppose.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Xfce”