Opening '.PDF' files by file association

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Opening '.PDF' files by file association

Post by markfilipak »

Right now, when I dbl-click a '.PDF' file it opens in Gimp. I want it to open in Evince. I tried "Opens with" in the right-click context menu, and I can select Evince, and that works, but it's not permanent -- I have to open using context menu each time.

How can I make Evince the permanent application for '.PDF' files?

I did try Google searches (well, DuckDuckGo, actually), but all of the discussions I found got side tracked. I also tried searching these forums for "association" but got only one hit and that was not applicable.

Thank You,
Mark.
richyrich

Re: Opening '.PDF' files by file association

Post by richyrich »

Just go one step further . . Right click the pdf, then instead of choosing Evince right away, choose "Open with Other.." , THEN in the new window, choose Evince, and be sure to put a check in the "Set as default" checkbox, before you click Okay.
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

richyrich wrote:Just go one step further . . Right click the pdf, then instead of choosing Evince right away, choose "Open with Other.." , THEN in the new window, choose Evince, and be sure to put a check in the "Set as default" checkbox, before you click Okay.
I'm sorry to say that Evince is not listed in the "Open with Other" submenu.
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

ByeByeXP wrote:Hi ... Afaik, on Mint's xfce-edition, the "evince" .pdf-reader package is named "Document Viewer". To make your selection of opening those docs with evince "stick", xfce provides a "Mime Type Editor". This is what it looks like ...
MimeTypeEditor.png
Once you left-click on a file-type's "Default Application" field (ight-most column in that row), a popup window lists every program that supports opening of that file-type (i've highlighted "pdf" as the editor's filter parameter). Via that popup you'll then select whichever program you want to serve as your default handler.

If you want to go that route (i did that myself a while back, after the setting got hijacked by another doc reader), this editor can be found via Whisker menu > All settings > Settings window > System section > "MIME Type Editor".
MIME Type Editor lists the default '.PDF' opener as Evince. I don't know how Gimp, so-to-speak, got its foot in the door.

So, I'm still looking for a way I can open a '.PDF' by dbl-click.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

richyrich wrote:Just go one step further . . Right click the pdf, then instead of choosing Evince right away, choose "Open with Other.." , THEN in the new window, choose Evince, and be sure to put a check in the "Set as default" checkbox, before you click Okay.
Replace "Evince" with "Document Viewer" in richyrich's directions. IOW: Right-click on a .pdf file, left-click on Open With Other Application..., left-click (ONCE!) on Document Viewer, ensure that there is an "x" in the box to the left of Use as default for this kind of file (by left-clicking that box, if necessary), and then left-click on the Open button.

The above should work. It should mean that, in the future, you can simple double-left-click on a .pdf and see the expected behavior. If I was worried, I might do a reboot after the above procedure (and exiting the .PDF, I suppose) and before trying to double-click on a .PDF in Thunar.

If this works, please remember to mark this thread solved by going back to your first post (in the thread) and editing its title to add [SOLVED] to the beginning.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Xfce”