Mint 17 Xfce Applications Menu

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
glitchathon
Level 3
Level 3

Mint 17 Xfce Applications Menu

Post by glitchathon »

Hi there,
I am still on Qiana and for the past year have been struggling with MenuLibre and items missing from the applications menu (that occurs when I right-click). Today, I removed the xfce-applications.menu file from /home/username/.config/menus/folder and it seems to have fixed the problem. Does anyone happen to know if I am missing anything from deleting that file? I assume the default settings are in place from the the file in /usr/share/xfcemint?

If I want to start editing the menu again, should I just edit the .desktop files manually. I would like to avoid ever opening up MenuLibre again, as it seems very buggy.

Is it necessary to recreate the xfce-applications.menu from an original install of Mint Xfce 17? I admit to still being confused as to how to properly get my menu back to its original state.

Thanks for any guidance on this!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint 17 Xfce Applications Menu

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi glitchathon,

Could tell us what you are trying to achieve by editing the application menu? Are you trying to hide an application, make a hidden application show up, change the category it appears in?
glitchathon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by glitchathon »

Hi Gene,
Thanks for the reply. I was initially hoping to add my own separators, add a few other desktop items to top level, maybe hide a few categories. Is it safe to say that all of the stuff that MenuLibre did was in the xfce-applications.menu file that I deleted as well as the .desktop files in .local/shared? I am hoping that I can gain back some control over the menu mostly through the .desktop files, and maybe create a new xfce-applications.menu file to tweak the order a bit.
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi glitchathon,
is it safe to say that all of the stuff that MenuLibre did was in the xfce-applications.menu file that I deleted as well as the .desktop files in .local/shared?
I've never used MenuLibre but I don't have a "/home/username/.config/menus/folder/xfce-applications.menu" so I can only assume that it came from MenuLibre.
I was initially hoping to add my own separators, add a few other desktop items to top level, maybe hide a few categories.
Some yes, some no. You could edit a .desktop file in place but I would strongly recommend that you copy it to your Home folder in ~/.local/share/applications and edit it there.

You can add a desktop item to the top level by adding ";X-Xfce-Toplevel" to the Categories= line like this:

Code: Select all

Categories=Network;X-XFCE;X-Xfce-Toplevel;
You can't hide an entire category in a desktop file but you can hide a single entry by adding the line:

NoDisplay=True
Sometimes an item doesn't show up in the menu, possibly because it contains a line like this:

OnlyShowIn=MATE
(or KDE, GNOME, ...) when you are running XFCE.
Delete this line to make it show up in the menu.

In my experience a category will disappear from the menu when it is empty. So instead of trying to hide the category why not just uninstall the programs in that category?
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

I still use alacarte as the menu editor application for xfce-4.12 that I have in Xubuntu 14.04. It seems much easier to use than menulibre which I tried but found confusing.
glitchathon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by glitchathon »

Thanks for the help. It looks like I can do most of what I want with the .desktop file categories. For the most part, the default order is fine, and I probably could just uninstall a lot of stuff to clean it up the way I want it.

Return to “Xfce”