Desktop Appearance Settings/Font Wrong After Reboot [Solved]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bt101
Level 3
Level 3

Desktop Appearance Settings/Font Wrong After Reboot [Solved]

Post by bt101 »

Hi - I'm running Mint17 XFCE

I wanted to change the desktop font and make it larger.
I went to Settings/Appearance.

The original setting was:
Custom DPI settings (checked) = 96

I unchecked the Custom DPI and set Font = Sans/16.

It looked great at that point.
However after a reboot, the font goes back to tiny characters.
The settings in the Appearance menu are still as I had set them though.

Why does the desktop not follow the Appearance settings after a reboot? How to fix?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shengchieh

Re: Desktop Appearance Settings/Font Wrong After Reboot

Post by shengchieh »

Are you saving last session?

menu
-> session and startup
-> auto. save session on logout

Sheng-Chieh
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Another option is Desktop Scaling which is in System Settings/General. I have a 40" monitor which I view from the couch. I set it at "Double (Hi-DPI)" which looks great. Fonts are set at default but I can view everything now without squinting.
bt101
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bt101 »

shengchieh wrote:Are you saving last session?

menu
-> session and startup
-> auto. save session on logout

Sheng-Chieh
Thanks, but it had no effect. The Font setting is still being ignored after a reboot.
bt101
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bt101 »

Ozo wrote:Another option is Desktop Scaling which is in System Settings/General. I have a 40" monitor which I view from the couch. I set it at "Double (Hi-DPI)" which looks great. Fonts are set at default but I can view everything now without squinting.
I'm having trouble finding System Settings/General.
I've looked everywhere (I think).
Do you mean the main "System" menu? If so, I don't see "Settings" underneath that.

BTW, would that setting affect how pictures and videos are displayed? That is, I only want type to be larger and don't want pictures or videos to be displayed at lower resolution.

Thanks.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

bt101 wrote:I'm having trouble finding System Settings/General.
I've looked everywhere (I think).
Do you mean the main "System" menu? If so, I don't see "Settings" underneath that.
I couldn't find it. I looked in Xfce's Settings submenu - no "General" - and in Xfce's System submenu - no "General." I didn't see a "General" tab in Xfce's Settings Editor or Settings Manager, either.

Ozo, are you using a DE other than Xfce? If not, please let us know where you found "System Settings/General." [EDIT: According to this post http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7#p1122207 he is using Cinnamon :roll: .]

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

latest.png
To be exact (sortof) my OS is Linux Mint 17.3 "Rosa" Cinnamon. The Scaling makes the panel as big as Docky (icon size 52), and the browser icons too. Fonts are automatically enlarged. The Menu is also much bigger.
Click this image then click F11 and you will see it just as I do.
Last edited by Ozo on Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:17 pm, edited 7 times in total.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Ozo wrote:To be exact (sortof) my OS is Linux Mint 17.3 "Rosa" Mint.
That tells nothing about which DE (Desktop Environment) you are using. You gave advice about an issue to an Xfce user, in the Xfce DE sub-forum. We cannot find the item you suggested to change. Again, are you using Xfce or a different DE? Your .SIG states Cinnamon.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
bt101
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bt101 »

ByeByeXP wrote:Hi - afaik, Xfce's "Custom DPI setting" can be adjusted as follows: Whisker menu > All Settings button > Settings window> "Personal" section > "Appearance" icon > Appearance popup > Fonts tab > "DPI" section > value entry field. Usually what i see is the installed default-DPI (96 dpi for generic flatpanel monitors).

Just a word of caution: some video chip sets behave funny re. dpi-scaling, and you could lock up with your desktop left in an unusable state ...
Thanks, the DPI setting has done the trick.
As far as I can tell, it has only enlarged the fonts (which I want) and it leaves everything else unaffected at full resolution.
*and* it sticks after a reboot.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

MtnDewManiac wrote:
Ozo wrote:To be exact (sortof) my OS is Linux Mint 17.3 "Rosa" Mint.
That tells nothing about which DE (Desktop Environment) you are using. You gave advice about an issue to an Xfce user, in the Xfce DE sub-forum. We cannot find the item you suggested to change. Again, are you using Xfce or a different DE? Your .SIG states Cinnamon.

Regards,
MDM
It is a typo which I changed. It is Cinnamon not Xfce. With all the great press Xfce is getting I assumed it would have at least the same capability as Cinnamon. I am a new guy just doing the best I can. Sorry for the confusion.

Return to “Xfce”