Lock Launcher Icons to the Desktop

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ger

Lock Launcher Icons to the Desktop

Post by ger »

Hello!
Using Mint 17.1 with XFCE I notice that the Launcher Icons get rearranged (alphabetically) every now and then. It shouldn't. How do I lock or fix them to the desktop?
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shengchieh

Re: Lock Launcher Icons to the Desktop

Post by shengchieh »

I don't know how to lock the order in the launcher.

For desktop icon, click the launcher. Then right-click the application and choose add to desktop. The first time you click on the desktop icon, make it an executable (it will ask).

Sheng-Chieh
ger

Post by ger »

Thank you shengchieh for your quick response!

The problem is that the desktop launcher icons once put on the desktop do not always stay on the spots I put them.
I've read somewhere that it might be a bug or a lack in the XFCE 4.10 desktop with LM 17.1
If so, is it possible to update the XFCE desktop?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

You can update from 17.1 to 17.2 quite easily.

However, I updated from 17 to 17.1 on my laptop once and discovered that its integrated intel gpu didn't work nearly as well anymore. There's a regression there (not unheard of with the intel i915 driver) which I can't find any info on. My solution was to reinstall 17.

In any case, in the future I'll be downloading newer release live iso's and testing them in live USB boot.

If there's no problem, go into update manager and refresh the sources list. Update the mint update manager if necessary. Then go into edit > upgrade to 17.2.

It actually is possible to upgrade xfce by using a 3rd party ppa, but this is just asking for trouble for less experienced users. I have 2 mint installs and there are no ppas in my sources, even for app software. The chance of me installing a DE that isn't in the repos is between slim and zero.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

ger wrote:The problem is that the desktop launcher icons once put on the desktop do not always stay on the spots I put them.
I've read somewhere that it might be a bug or a lack in the XFCE 4.10 desktop with LM 17.1
If so, is it possible to update the XFCE desktop?

ger it looks like that bug may still be in need of a resolution as of 4.12.3 - you can follow the progress here.

Regards
ger

Post by ger »

Thank you both Hoser Rob and palo! So seems from bugzilla.xfce.org that I just have to live with it for the time being and to wait for a solution! Pity! Regards!
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Just a thought . . you could add an additional panel, locate it on the side, and populate it with your favorite launchers.
ger

Post by ger »

Thank you all for your suggestions. Asap I will give give ByeByeXP's idea a try first. Looks promising! I'll let you know the results one of these days. Regards!
ger

SOLVED: Lock Launcher Icons to the Desktop

Post by ger »

ByeByeXP's workaround has solved the isue for the time being. Strange that the XFCE developers haven't yet implemented the basic function of a desktop icon locker. Anyway, thank you all!

Return to “Xfce”