[SOLVED] LM 17.2 xfce right-click menu -- what is it?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mikk0

[SOLVED] LM 17.2 xfce right-click menu -- what is it?

Post by mikk0 »

I thought at first that it might be fluxbox, but I can't find a fluxbox directory or any fluxbox files on my system, and google is no help. I would like to know what this menu is ...

OK, as I write this post I have been making some discoveries. if you right-click, there are a set of options, Create Launcher/Link/Folder/Document. Clicking "Create Launcher" brings up a box with a Help button, if you press the Help button it take you to an XFCE web page called "Desktop Item Editor" in big letters, but otherwise might as well be blank (as far as help is concerned).

So now my guess is that maybe this was all XFCE had before they gave it an Application Menu, and definitely before the Whisker Menu.

So now I'm thinking, perhaps I would like to dump the Application Menu and Whisker, which would make my XFCE be more like fluxbox (if I relied only on the right-click menu). But to do that I would need some documentation or some help from this forum.

Thanks in advance for any comments
mik
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikk0

Re: LM 17.2 xfce right-click menu -- what is it?

Post by mikk0 »

It seems that I have answered my own questions, all I have to do to achieve fluxbox-like nirvana is to remove the whisker menu, it is perfectly safe to do so because it is simple to re-instate it if required.

Cheers :))
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [SOLVED] LM 17.2 xfce right-click menu -- what is it?

Post by Flemur »

I thought at first that it might be fluxbox, but I can't find a fluxbox directory or any fluxbox files on my system, and google is no help.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install fluxbox
Logout, then login in fluxbox; first run will create ~/.fluxbox directory if it doesn't already exist.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
mikk0

Re: [SOLVED] LM 17.2 xfce right-click menu -- what is it?

Post by mikk0 »

Thanks. I will do that.

Fluxbox has a fascination for me. It's sort of a bit crude but utterly brilliant at the same time. Similar to conky.

Return to “Xfce”