The ONLY reason why I am using Cinnamon vs XFCE

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ericramos1990

The ONLY reason why I am using Cinnamon vs XFCE

Post by ericramos1990 »

I really like Cinnamon, but it's still too slow for me, it can get laggy sometimes. Sure it's only milliseconds, but I FEEL those milliseconds.

I like XFCE much more, it's very simple and snappy.

However, the only thing that is keeping me from it is the way to open scripts/files.

In Cinnamon, when you try to open a script, you get a prompt (See attached image).

This is REALLY useful to me. Sometimes I want to open it in terminal, sometimes edit the file, sometimes just to open it, and sometimes it was an accident!

Is there any way I can make XFCE behave this way when I click on a file? I have been learning GTK if it helps, I'm willing to code something out if I have to.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ericramos1990

Re: The ONLY reason why I am using Cinnamon vs XFCE

Post by ericramos1990 »

Aahh I realized that what I need is to replace the file manager.

It's a matter of Thunar vs Nemo.

Not XFCE vs Cinnamon

I just installed Nemo on my XFCE desktop, and the prompt I desire is now working :)
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Before resorting to the (drastic) step of replacing your DE's file manager with another one, did you happen to try the method described in detail in the stickied (IOW, the very first post after the forum-wide announcement threads) thread in this very section? I would have thought it would have been incredibly hard to miss :roll: :
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=202303

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

I have gotten so used to right-clicking on files in Xfce it is now second nature.
ericramos1990

Post by ericramos1990 »

@MDM, hey there, that is not what I am looking for. I know in xfce you can customize it to be able to run from click.

@MDM and @richyrich
I personally despise using the mouse, and I love just sticking to the keyboard as much as I can.
And that Nemo prompt makes my life much easier!

Return to “Xfce”