XFCE Graphical Interface

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
p75213

XFCE Graphical Interface

Post by p75213 »

I have an older laptop (Core 2 duo T7200/4GB) on which I would like to install LM17.2. I also have a lm17.2 cinnamon disc, however I am thinking xfce would be more suitable for my system. As I have a wireless internet connection with a limited monthly download, I would prefer not to download the LM xfce .iso. Therefore, would it be possible after installing LM cinnamon, to download and install just the xfce gui interface? I think that would be a much smaller download.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: XFCE Graphical Interface

Post by karlchen »

Hello, p75213.
Therefore, would it be possible after installing LM cinnamon, to download and install just the xfce gui interface? I think that would be a much smaller download.
Unambiguous answer: yes, this is feasible. - I used Synaptic to select the needed software packages and install them.
Personally, I have installed Mint 16 Cinnamon and added xfce later on. Have done the same with Mint 17 Cinnamon, added xfce later on as well. This Mint 17 Cinnamon + xfce system has been updated to Mint 17.1 Cinnamon + xfce through Update Manager (Edit => Upgrade to Mint 17.1) later on. And I am still using it.

You will find the steps how to add xfce here:
(1) Post #1 xfce instead of mate
(2) Post #2 xfce instead of mate

Note:
Do not be confused by the name of "Mate" in the thread title. xfce has been added to Cinnamon, but adding it to Mate works in the same way.
Both posts are in the same thread.

HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

It ought to work that way. I have read threads about people adding a second DE and finding that things were not entirely as expected, but that could have been user error, I suppose, or perhaps a result of tinkering, maybe trying to change which file manager a particular DE uses (since they are sometimes integrated(?) a little more strongly into the way a DE works than, say, a text editor or media player).

I'd certainly expect it to work okay. I have used a distro in the past that had, IDK, four or more DE (and possibly WM-only) choices on the login menu and never saw any "cross-contamination" between them. So I am guessing that any problems that a person might have would be the exception, rather than the rule.

But you mentioned having limited data allowances. You might visit your local libraries and see if there is a current copy of Mint Xfce among their selection of borrowable software. I used to create and donate (I am speaking of the materials and my time, obviously, since Mint, itself, is free) such things to them back when my optical burner still worked (and I could still afford to buy ink for my Epson Artisan 810 :roll: ). And several years ago, I both sent (a few times) and received (once) distro DVDs via the mail upon request. If/when you find yourself wanting a copy of the newest version of Mint (probably unnecessary in this case, but maybe if - when version 18 is released - the next version of Mint comes with a recommendation to do a clean install instead of an upgrade), you might try posting a thread to request that someone mail you a copy. Or even creating a general "Who Needs One and Who Will Send One?" thread that anyone can participate in, IDK. IF such a thing does not violate our forum rules, of course (I assume not, but best to make sure first). Most of us do what we can to help others (and not just where linux - or even computers in general - is/are concerned), either because we've had difficulties in life ourselves, because we're (or at least try to be :wink: ) nice, or both.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
p75213

Post by p75213 »

Well so far I haven't bothered changing to xfce, as I find my computer even though it is quite old (about 10 years) has no problem with performance when running cinnamon.

Return to “Xfce”