File names not abreviated and taking up a LOT of space

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mslaguy007

File names not abreviated and taking up a LOT of space

Post by mslaguy007 »

When I had XFCE 17.1 my files were nice and neat and the names were abbreviated if the name was long. Now after upgrading to 17.2 now my file names are not abbreviated and take up a lot of visual space and make everything look like a terrible mess. Does anyone know how to fix this? See attached screen shot. Thanks in advance!!! :?:

Mslaguy007
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Re: File names not abreviated and taking up a LOT of space

Post by Buzzsaw »

Might it be related to that weird font you have?
mslaguy007

Post by mslaguy007 »

It was never an issue before in 17.1. :?:
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Mint 17 Xfce, thunar's "icon view" looks just like yours, even with a good font.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
mslaguy007

Post by mslaguy007 »

Interesting...
shengchieh

Post by shengchieh »

Open Thunar. Then

View -> Configure Columns

and force the column width to what you want.

Sheng-Chieh
mslaguy007

Post by mslaguy007 »

"Configure Columns" is not under "View" or any other menu in 17.2. There is "Configure Custom Actions" but you are unable to adjust column width there. I clicked "Preferences" and I can change the view of icons and switch the text from the bottom to the side of the icon but can't change the column width. Any other idea's?
shengchieh

Post by shengchieh »

I am using LM XFCE 17.2 which uses Thunar 1.6.10.
In Thunar, I click View -> Configure Columns ... and check or uncheck

"Automatically expand columns as needed".

Sheng-Chieh
mslaguy007

Post by mslaguy007 »

I also have Thunar 1.6.10. But for me "Configure Columns" is not under any menu in Thunar. This makes no sense!!! :evil: Also "Print Screen" is not working so I can't take a screen shot to show you it's not there. UGH!!!
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

mslaguy007 wrote:I also have Thunar 1.6.10. But for me "Configure Columns" is not under any menu in Thunar. This makes no sense!!! :evil: Also "Print Screen" is not working so I can't take a screen shot to show you it's not there. UGH!!!
What ARE the options listed in your Thunar's Alt-v(iew) menu? And are you starting the app normally or some other way?

EDIT: It may or may not be a factor, but are you using something other than Xfce's own Xfwm window manager (such as Compiz)? In the past, people have reported various issues and problems when trying to do so - which is why I was mildly surprised to see it become an included option in Mint's Xfce flavor... But maybe Clem and the other developers managed to figure out and deal with all of the issues that some had experienced in that regard (then again, maybe they missed one, lol?).

The lack of the Xfce Screenshooter app functionality could be a different issue, or it could be a symptom of the same issue. First, has it worked in the past? Is your computer a desktop with a full keyboard, or a laptop that might have multiple functions for certain keys and require a modifier? (For example, my laptop requires me to press and hold its Fn key before I press the Insert / Prt Sc key to cause Screenshooter to run. Have you done any customizing as for as your keyboard shortcuts are concerned? Was this a clean install of Mint or did you upgrade an existing version? If the latter, was it a normal Mint Xfce setup, or was it another flavor (DE) of Mint to which you later added Xfce to? When you initially downloaded the Mint .ISO (whether to do a clean install of your current version, or when you originally installed Mint if this is an upgrade of that), did you make sure to verify that file's bit-for-bit integrity by checking its md5sum against what was listed for that .ISO before you burned it to DVD/USB flash drive (or saved it in your /boot/grml directory, if you chose to boot to, run, and install it directly from the same hard drive and save the step of using some form of removable media to do so)?

Finally, like most (all?) other apps that are meant to run in the GUI, you can always bring up Xfce's menu (if you're using the "Whisper Menu") or its Application Finder (by pressing Alt-F2) and simply type the name of the application you wish to run - or part of it, in this case "screensh" (sans quotation marks, of course) - and press Enter, which will run Screenshooter. Then you can use that app to take your screenshot (or, if you prefer, a "windowshot") and save it to the ZimageZ website and include it in your post here (via the usual method of enclosing its address within a set of IMG tags).

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
mslaguy007

Post by mslaguy007 »

When I open my external drive with Thunar 1.6.10 and click the View tab I get:

View
------
Reload
Location Selector > Pathbar Style or ✓Toolbar Style
Side Pane > ✓Shortcuts or Tree
✓ Status Bar
✓ Menu Bar
Show Hidden Files
Arrange Items > ✓Sort By Name, Sort By Size, Sort By Type, Sort By Modification Date. ✓Ascending or Descending.
Zoom In
Zoom Out
Normal Size
✓View As Icons
View As Detailed List
View As Compact List
------

I only use Thunar for file management.

My screenshot works fine if I use the shortcut on my taskbar but does not work with the Print Screen button. I am using a desktop computer with a regular keyboard. I have tired to just press it or to use the shortcuts that I use on my laptop. It doesn't work at all unless I use the shortcut. If I press the shortcut then the menu closes and I can't capture the menu to show you what it looks like. There have been no customizations to the keyboard. This was a clean install of 17.1 and then I upgraded to 17.2. I just checked my netbook and it is the same way with Thunar and the screen shot. It was also a fresh 17.1 to 17.2 upgrade. With the netbook I also have a problem with it showing the battery in the taskbar. It shows up but reads 100% all of the time. Another flaw of 17.2 as the battery icon worked fine in 17.1. I have looked everywhere in Power Manager to no avail. No I did not check the md5sum at before downloading, I don't even know what that is. 17.1 was installed via USB and 17.2 was an upgrade on both my desktop and netbook. I currently use the bone stock menu that came with XFCE. I hope I answered all of your questions. :?

------

System: Host: gregg-HP-Compaq-dc5800-Small-Form-Factor Kernel: 3.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2)
Desktop: Xfce 4.12.2 (Gtk 2.24.23) Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela
Machine: System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Compaq dc5800 Small Form Factor
Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 2820h Bios: Hewlett-Packard version: 786F2 v01.04 date: 01/31/2008
CPU: Dual core Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2180 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 7979.94
Clock Speeds: 1: 2000.00 MHz 2: 2000.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel 82Q33 Express Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1680x1050@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Q33 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1: Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Card-2: Logitech driver: USB Audio usb-ID: 001-002
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-37-generic
Network: Card-1: Intel 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e ver: 2.3.2-k port: 1100 bus-ID: 00:19.0
IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Card-2: Ralink RT5370 Wireless Adapter driver: rt2800usb ver: 2.3.0 usb-ID: 002-003
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1500.3GB (0.6% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD5000AAKS size: 500.1GB
2: USB id: /dev/sdb model: Expansion+ size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID: / size: 453G used: 8.9G (3%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 6.36GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 57.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 160 Uptime: 12 min Memory: 748.2/5888.9MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.11) inxi: 1.9.17

------
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

mslaguy007 wrote:✓View As Icons
Oh (duh, oops!), change that to detailed view and you'll see the option in your View menu. Sorry, I didn't think of that because I almost never use the icon view as it displays limited information and Thunar (AfaIK) lacks the option that GNOME 2.x's Nautilus had where the user could display up to three types of file information under each icon (and choose what those three things would be).

I am sorry to type that I have no idea about your lack of "Prt Sc" key functionality. Perhaps it was something caused by upgrading instead of doing a clean install (I know it is supposed to be harmless, but who knows, it might be one of those tiny little things that got missed or something) or... IDK. Maybe someone here can talk you through setting it up as a properly functioning keyboard shortcut. The fact that you're seeing that issue on two different computers tells me it's not a case of the key failing to work, so it ought to be fixable.
mslaguy007 wrote:No I did not check the md5sum at before downloading, I don't even know what that is.
Do yourself a favor and learn about it. Would someone either type an explanation or provide a link, please? I... Well, I have been known to ramble a bit "from time to time," so I'll leave that one to someone else :lol: .

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
mslaguy007

Post by mslaguy007 »

Thanks for all your help! It is greatly appreciated. 8)
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

I also have Thunar 1.6.10. But for me "Configure Columns" is not under any menu in Thunar.
Hit "Ctrl+M" to (un)show the menu bar. Then MenuBar->View->Configure Columns

But it's not supposed to change the appearance of the icon-view (screenshot in your first post).
mslaguy007

Post by mslaguy007 »

It turns out that my screen shot shortcut works fine for capturing a regular window, but does not work when a menu is open in Thunar. Odd. :?:
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

i've observed the same "dis-ability" (to take a screenshot while thunar's menu has "focus") not only with thunar, but also on Mate's caja, and as well on ...
I tried "scrot" and it also wouldn't make a screen-shot while the thunar menu was open...until I used "delay".
thunar_scrot_delay.jpg

Return to “Xfce”