Mint 17 Xfce gnome minded?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
foersu
Level 3
Level 3

Mint 17 Xfce gnome minded?

Post by foersu »

Hello,

In Mint 17.2 Xfce, a lot of gnome pakets are installed.

What is the necessity for that? I guess because of the installed applications. Could somebody precise it a little bit?
Even if responsiveness and speed are subjective matters: makes this gnome presence Mint Xfce slower i.e. less responsive?

Thanx
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Mint 17 Xfce gnome minded?

Post by Pjotr »

Don't worry. Xfce simply shares some packages with Gnome (always has, nothing new here). :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

foersu wrote:a lot of gnome pakets are installed.
Like which ones are bothering you. Archive Manager/file-roller? Calculator/gnome-calculator? Character Map/gucharmap? Disks/gnome-disk-utility? Document Viewer/evince? Font Viewer/gnome-font-viewer? Text Editor/gedit? You can remove programs if you don't want or need them.

Packages like gnome-settings-daemon are installed as a dependency for Compiz. I don't see how having these installed would make Xfce slower or less responsive. But sure, you can also remove Compiz and all its dependencies if your computer isn't capable of running Compiz. At that stage you might want to consider a distro specifically built for running on very old computers.

Xfce is built using GLib and GTK+. While these are the cornerstones of GNOME (and is their largest contributor) these aren't for GNOME only as Xfce, MATE, Cinnamon, and many programs use these libraries as well. A quick look shows over 3,200 packages in the Linux Mint repositories depending on GLib for example.
foersu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by foersu »

Thanx for the prompt responses.

@ xenopeek: when I remove an application: are the packages the application has dependencies to also removed (I guess only if not other applications have dependencies to them too)?

Saludos.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

You can also check - Menu > Settings > Session & Startup > Advanced tab , to see if Gnome Services are set to run on startup.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

foersu wrote:when I remove an application: are the packages the application has dependencies to also removed
It doesn't do by default. You can run the command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get --purge autoremove
Which will automatically remove packages that were installed as a dependency and are no longer needed. You'd run that command after removing other packages first, to then remove any no longer needed dependencies.

Return to “Xfce”