How to make LM Xfce look like Xubuntu?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lentejas

How to make LM Xfce look like Xubuntu?

Post by Lentejas »

Hi, guys! I'm convincing some friends to use Linux instead of Windows, so I recommended them two distros for their notebooks: Linux Mint Xfce and Xubuntu. I've tried the both, and I like them, but my friends say Xubuntu looks more beautiful and more modern. I know Linux Mint has more drivers and codecs than Xubuntu, so it's a better choice for newbies. So they told me they would install Linux Mint if I can make it look like Xubuntu.

So do you know if there's a way to do it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BlueKnight

Re: How to make LM Xfce look like Xubuntu?

Post by BlueKnight »

Lentejas wrote:Hi, guys! I'm convincing some friends to use Linux instead of Windows, so I recommended them two distros for their notebooks: Linux Mint Xfce and Xubuntu. I've tried the both, and I like them, but my friends say Xubuntu looks more beautiful and more modern. I know Linux Mint has more drivers and codecs than Xubuntu, so it's a better choice for newbies. So they told me they would install Linux Mint if I can make it look like Xubuntu.

Just install Xubuntu's theme: http://www.dailylinuxnews.com/blog/2014 ... bian-xfce/
Lentejas

Post by Lentejas »

BlueKnight wrote:
Lentejas wrote:Hi, guys! I'm convincing some friends to use Linux instead of Windows, so I recommended them two distros for their notebooks: Linux Mint Xfce and Xubuntu. I've tried the both, and I like them, but my friends say Xubuntu looks more beautiful and more modern. I know Linux Mint has more drivers and codecs than Xubuntu, so it's a better choice for newbies. So they told me they would install Linux Mint if I can make it look like Xubuntu.

Just install Xubuntu's theme: http://www.dailylinuxnews.com/blog/2014 ... bian-xfce/
Oh... It's that simple? Wow, I'm a noob :P
Another question: if I download the theme in the live USB, it'll be also installed when I install the OS?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Nope - you will have to do that again, after the installation.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

It's linux, not Microsoft's Windows. You don't have to use Mint's - or (X)ubuntu's - themes. You can go with a "Mint" or "Ubuntu" look, something reminiscent of one of Microsoft's Windows versions, Apple's OSX, Amiga's OS, or one of many other "looks."

Themes, cursors, colors, desktop backgrounds, panel placement/size/orientation/,number of/behavior/content, docks if you like that sort of thing, screen"savers," activate system sounds, et cetera. And that's not even taking into consideration the fact that - unlike Microsoft's OS where the OS ("Windows") is also the Desktop Environment ("Windows") - you can change the DE from Xfce to MATE, Cinnamon, LXDE, etc., etc., etc., etc.

The very first time I ever installed linux, I must have spent several hours just changing the way the system looked and I didn't explore what was available - and that was back in late 2001 or early 2002, IIRC. Due to circumstances, that linux experience was aborted early, but when I returned to linux a few years ago I noticed that the various developers seemed to have added "a few" (lol) choices - to every category.

Another thing I spent several hours back doing back then was just exploring that distro's software management tool to see the many (, many, many) applications/etc. (and read the descriptions of same) that I could quickly and easily select and install with no hassle without ever having to search around online for because so many of them were in the distro's file repositories (aka "repos"). Just like there is more in the way of "eye candy..." I just ran Synaptic Package Manager to check. I've added a few PPAs (extra repos), and a lot of the things in SPM have multiple files, so it's not unusual to see an application and then a data file for it (or some libs, documentation, developer tools, etc.) - but, still, I have 47,373 files listed :D . Even if the things in there average out to five files for each application/etc., that's still a LOT of software, and many things are only one file (or two) per, so...

Take a look here:

Code: Select all

http://xfce-look.org/
Or here:

https://www.maketecheasier.com/xfce4-desktop-themes-linux/
Or here (might be kind of old, IDK):

https://wiki.xfce.org/howto/install_new_themes
Tell your friends to have fun customizing their system. They can make some changes in a few minutes, or set aside an hour (or a month :roll: ) or two to really start exploring what they can change.

Now it seems like instead of spending all my time changing things back and forth in linux... I spend all my time trying to actually make some progress in a neat little time-waster called SDL Slash'EM (available in the repos, easy to install via Synaptic Package Manager. Fun but "a little" addictive - you have been warned :wink: ). I've been playing it (and, previously, it's "vanilla" sibling) for, well, years. Last year I read that people see how fast and/or in how few moves they can finish it. My thought was, "You mean people actually manage to finish the thing?" :lol:

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Сounterexample.
Two years ago I installed Xubuntu. Everything was OK, but and I don't like how default Xununtu looks. Well, I tuned it to what I like.
Later I installed LM XFCE and found that LM XFCE by default looks exactly as my early manualy tuned Xununtu :mrgreen:
"WOW!" I wondered "These guys are experts in the same way as I do".
Since that I'm with LM 8)
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

Return to “Xfce”