why thunar insteaf of nemo?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cyttorak
Level 2
Level 2

why thunar insteaf of nemo?

Post by cyttorak »

Hi

Why Linux Mint xfce uses thunar insteaf of nemo?

I mean, is there any incompatibility for nemo in xfce? or is something about resource optimization? or is a "philosophical" decision?

In general, I would like to know why some desktops came with different apps although it seems like you can install some apps from other desktops without any problem.

I am not disputing the work of the linux mint developers, of course, but I'm curious about this topic.

Thanks.

P.D.: Also, I'm using cinnamon but I'm thinking to try xfce, and I don't know if it is a silly thing change cinnamon for xfce and later replace apps of xfce from other that come with cinnamon.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: why thunar insteaf of nemo?

Post by altair4 »

Because Thunar is the file manager designed by and for XFCE?

The same way Nautilus was designed for Gnome/Unity, Caja for MATE, some aquatic mammal for KDE .....
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

XFCE is a desktop environment. It comes with a few softwares part of this environment. Thunar is one of them as well as mousepad the text editor. I'm not sure it would make sense to release an XFCE version without the official file manager. It's part of the project...
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

I'm just going to throw in with the original poster. Nemo is better than Thunar. Nemo is the main reason I prefer Mint Cinnamon to Mint XFCE after using both for several years. Running current Mint XFCE with Compiz eye candy uses about the same resources as current Cinnamon and so being "lightweight" is not the big deal it might once have been. XFCE ought to look at replacing the crude Thunar file manager.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

I2k4 wrote:I'm just going to throw in with the original poster. Nemo is better than Thunar. Nemo is the main reason I prefer Mint Cinnamon to Mint XFCE after using both for several years. Running current Mint XFCE with Compiz eye candy uses about the same resources as current Cinnamon and so being "lightweight" is not the big deal it might once have been. XFCE ought to look at replacing the crude Thunar file manager.
Well, running Xfce with Compiz is rather defeating the purpose of Xfce.... If it could run in IceWM, Compiz would even make IceWM heavy. :)

Technically speaking, the default file manager of a desktop environment is an integral part of it, and interwoven with it at a very low level. In a way, Xfce *is* Thunar with some extra's thrown in.....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

I2k4 wrote:Running current Mint XFCE with Compiz eye candy uses about the same resources as current Cinnamon and so being "lightweight" is not the big deal it might once have been.
That's kind of like me saying that my buddy's F250 SuperDuty turbo-diesel only weighs as much as three Honda Civics - so it's not really very heavy. I mean... Doesn't Cinnamon want hardware accelerated graphics? I've had Xfce running on a 2002 or 2003 laptop with 768 meg of RAM (disclaimer: it was Xfce 4.10, not the newer one).

Now admittedly not everyone has used a 12-year old laptop recently... But I'd be willing to guess that the number of computers in existence that won't comfortably run Cinnamon probably outweigh (err... figuratively and literally :lol: ) the number of computers in existence that can. IDK that the opposite would be true if you substituted Xfce - but the ratio would change at the least.
I2k4 wrote:XFCE ought to look at replacing the crude Thunar file manager.
That's pretty subjective and inflammatory language there, Chuck. Is a hammer crude because it only drives in and removes nails instead of having three different navel-lint removing functions? No, it is a properly designed tool that performs its job. Thunar does what I expect a file manager to do and precious little that I do not. I suppose that it does what Xfce's developers expect a file manager to do, too - after all, they have not chosen to replace it with PCMan File Manager or another of the (several) lighter-weight file managers.

What, exactly, does Nemo do that Thunar doesn't that is properly a function of a file manager?
Pjotr wrote:Technically speaking, the default file manager of a desktop environment is an integral part of it, and interwoven with it at a very low level. In a way, Xfce *is* Thunar with some extra's thrown in.....
I'm wondering why, if a person is going to replace both Xfce's window manager and file manager, just why they would still choose to run Xfce, lol? Really enamored with Xfce's panels and panel applets? Or Xfce's old style menu (the new Whisper one being too much like any other random DE's to (presumably) be the appeal)? Yes, this is a serious question.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

MtnDewManiac wrote: I'm wondering why, if a person is going to replace both Xfce's window manager and file manager, just why they would still choose to run Xfce, lol?
To be honest I also wonder.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

killer de bug wrote:
MtnDewManiac wrote: I'm wondering why, if a person is going to replace both Xfce's window manager and file manager, just why they would still choose to run Xfce, lol?
To be honest I also wonder.
Ditto.

I use Xfce on the laptop I mostly use at home, and I agree that Thunar is its weak point. PCManFM is better IMO. But as mentioned, the file manager is an integral part of the DE. And while you can install a file manager from another DE like Nemo or Dolphin, it'll install a bunch off dependencies along with it. That will slow the system down and can cause problems.

Another thing is that many of those features on those more powerful file managers will slow the system down over time. That doesn't happen so much with the 'crude' ones like thunar or pcmanfm.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

Hoser Rob wrote:I use Xfce on the laptop I mostly use at home, and I agree that Thunar is its weak point. PCManFM is better IMO. But as mentioned, the file manager is an integral part of the DE. And while you can install a file manager from another DE like Nemo or Dolphin, it'll install a bunch off dependencies along with it. That will slow the system down and can cause problems.
Maybe, but that's not my experience.

I've been using nemo since shortly after I switched to a distro with Xfce a couple of years ago. I installed it using apt-get's --no-install-recommends switch and it didn't drag in more than five or six dependencies. I also made sure it's always launched with the --no-desktop switch, because I don't want it to take over the desktop background. No slowdown, no problems.
BlueKnight

Post by BlueKnight »

I use XFCE, I use Thunar File Manager.

I do not want to change it because it is enough for me.

As for suggestions and improvements I would like to see there are only about 3. And it is nothing critical.
BlackVeils

Post by BlackVeils »

I2k4 wrote:I'm just going to throw in with the original poster. Nemo is better than Thunar. Nemo is the main reason I prefer Mint Cinnamon to Mint XFCE after using both for several years. Running current Mint XFCE with Compiz eye candy uses about the same resources as current Cinnamon and so being "lightweight" is not the big deal it might once have been. XFCE ought to look at replacing the crude Thunar file manager.
I actually like thunar, I have chosen to use it no matter what the desktop environment, for years.

Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk
Kardosh

Post by Kardosh »

MtnDewManiac wrote:I've had Xfce running on a 2002 or 2003 laptop with 768 meg of RAM (disclaimer: it was Xfce 4.10, not the newer one).
Just a remark: I am typing this on a similarly old netbook with 1BG RAM and the newest 17.2 release which is... 4.12 xfce? Everything works nicely (typing for work and Web for fun mostly), but I do not know if I am using any resources with this Compig. I checked, it is installed as default probably, but no mind-blowing effects with floating cubes, so it is probably just dormant.
MikeF90000

Post by MikeF90000 »

I have found that each FM has its own benefits, bugs and limitations.

- Thunar has a great bulk file renaming option that I haven't found elsewhere. Use the HECK out of it! OTOH it has an ancient bug where it refuses to Drag-aNd-Drop Move files properly within an NTFS partition. It does a Copy instead, very annoying.
- PCManFM does the D-N-D move properly. No bulk file renaming though. Prefer it slightly over Thunar.
- Both display 'GTK+3' shortcuts.
- Can't remember any huge advantage with Nemo or Caja. YMMV.

Not sure why Thunar is called 'crude' without further details. With the exception of KDE's file manager, they all look pretty similar to me and that's Not a problem. Maybe someone hasn't been spending enough 'quality time' with their iDevice. :?

No one is holding a gun to your head and preventing you from installing more than one FM. Just Do it!
iowabeakster

Post by iowabeakster »

If you think Thunar is that bad now, you must not have been using it 3+ years ago. :lol:

I think I might still slightly prefer nemo, but honestly I don't miss nemo on my machine that runs XFCE (my primary computer). That was not true a few years ago, when Thunar was a real rage-inspiring pile of bugs. I used to install nautilus, and dealt the peculiarities of having a different program handling my desktop. In my opinion, Thunar is fine these days. In fact I am now coming around to where I might even prefer it over nemo for the simplicity of using text for settings-changes and functions. Nemo is crossing into the category of confusing ambiguous icon over-load. I can read, so definitively spelling out what will happen when I make a click is nice. With nemo I find myself clicking stuff and am unsure what it'll do (or waiting for a pointer pop-up to tell me) and that's pretty annoying when we have this amazing techology called "language" to clear things up.

I can understand the desire to run the XFCE desktop, even on fancy high powered hardware, for the 'old-school' flexibility it has.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

cyttorak wrote:Why Linux Mint xfce uses thunar insteaf of nemo?
Because it's Linux Mint Xfce and not Linux Mint Cinnamon. :roll:

File managers might be a bit more integrated with the DE than, for example, text editors. You can, AfaIK, use whichever one you like - but the default FM for Xfce is Thunar. And the default WM is Xfwm.
iowabeakster wrote:That was not true a few years ago, when Thunar was a real rage-inspiring pile of bugs.
Might you be thinking of Xffm, the file manager that came with Xfce until Thunar was used in Xfce 4.4? I think the developer has since changed the name of Xffm to Rodent, and it is still being developed (there was a release at the beginning of June). So... there's one more file manager for y'all to try, I guess, lol.

Regards,
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Xfce”