Stock backgrounds/wallpaper broken after using a custom one?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Quexos
Level 2
Level 2

Stock backgrounds/wallpaper broken after using a custom one?

Post by Quexos »

The default folder-full-o-backgrounds is apparently /usr/share/backgrounds/several folders full of images, and with that "backgrounds" folder selected in the desktop settings window/thingy, as it is by default, you see all the wallpapers in all of those sub folders directly (you don't see the sub folders, just the images in them all). Now, after I changed that to a custom image in my Pictures folder for a day, then try to go back to use one of the stock ones, when selecting the "backgrounds" folder, it appears empty. Just nothing. But if I go check the actual location "/usr/share/backgrounds/several folders full of images", they're all still there and I can navigate to them with Thunar and right click > set as wallpaper, and that works, but I can't use the normal desktop settings tool any more.

Any ideas why this odd behavior happened?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Stock backgrounds/wallpaper broken after using a custom

Post by richyrich »

Try this folder - /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops/
Quexos
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Stock backgrounds/wallpaper broken after using a custom

Post by Quexos »

Thanks. Noted for future reference, it probably would have sorted it except:

When browsing to that folder with Thunar, I see the default Linux Mint image and what appears to be a bunch of shortcuts to the other stock ones in the previously mentioned folder (broken shortcuts now because I moved the actual images, probably would have worked otherwise). It's not a big deal or anything, I can just move/copy the pictures I want to where they will work via "gksudo thunar", but I am curious why it happened at all and if it may be a sign of some more important issue.

I will eventually restore a backup image (before I messed around with it) of my install and try just aiming it at that folder. I imagine the shortcuts will still be good and all will work as it should. Thanks again. Still, I find it odd that this stock "Backgrounds" folder shows up in the "Desktop Settings" but does not work after using a non stock wallpaper, but did before that. Just weird.

EDIT: Your suggestion did indeed work after restoring my backup image. Thanks again.

Also, I should clarify, my fooling around with the wallpapers locations/shorcuts did not cause the problem, they were my first attempt at fixing it. Finally, I have just moved the wallpapers I want to the place I want, deleted all the wallpapers I didn't want, and broken shortcuts, then edited/fixed the paths in the logon theme config that also gets broken if you move/delete the wallpapers.

Return to “Xfce”