XFCE 17.1 Task bar location, date on task bar, files on HDD.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mslaguy007

XFCE 17.1 Task bar location, date on task bar, files on HDD.

Post by mslaguy007 »

I have a few questions.

First, is there a way to move the task bar from the bottom of the screen to the top?

Second, when I click on the clock on the task bar I can choose to edit how the clock and date will look but I can't actually make the date show up on the task bar.

Third, when viewing files on my external HDD some of my pictures show the picture, some only show a green icon with "jpeg" on the preview. Is there a way to make all of my photos show up that way I don't have to double click on each one to see what it is???

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Re: XFCE 17.1 Task bar location, date on task bar, files on

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi mslaguy007,
First, is there a way to move the task bar from the bottom of the screen to the top?
Are you talking about the whole panel or just that part where Mint Update appears?
If you mean the entire panel then Menu -> Settings -> Panel disable "Lock panel". You should then be able to drag the entire panel to where you want it. When done enable "Lock panel" again.
If you mean the "Notification Area" then simply delete it from the first panel and add it to the second panel.
Second, when I click on the clock on the task bar I can choose to edit how the clock and date will look but I can't actually make the date show up on the task bar.
Under "Clock Options" choose "Custom Format". Make sure the options you choose are actually valid.
Third, when viewing files on my external HDD some of my pictures show the picture, some only show a green icon with "jpeg" on the preview. Is there a way to make all of my photos show up that way I don't have to double click on each one to see what it is???
Not sure about this one. You could try Menu -> Settings -> File Manager and on the "Display" tab under "Show thumbnails:" choose "Always".

Hope this helps. :D
mslaguy007

Post by mslaguy007 »

Thank you GeneBenson!!!!

I was able to move the task bar using your method.

For the clock/date it seems to want a code under custom. It is not a simple point and click choice.

When I clicked "always" under the "display" tab it worked like a charm!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!! :D 8) :!:
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

mslaguy007 wrote:when I click on the clock on the task bar I can choose to edit how the clock and date will look but I can't actually make the date show up on the task bar.
Are you using the DateTime panel applet? If so, try this: Right-click the applet and select (left-click on) Properties. Under Layout, set Format to "Date, then time." Under Date, set Font to "Sans 12" and set Format to "Custom..." and in the box directly below that, type "%a, %b %d" (sans quotation marks). Under Time, set Font to "Sans 14" and set format to "11:59 pm."

This gives me a two-row Date and time of this format:
Fri, Aug 14
5:42 am

Note that my panel is horizontal, I have a row size of 48 pixels, with one row, and a length of 100%. If your panel settings are different or you wish your date/time display to appear different than I do, you'll want to use different settings. But those work for me.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Xfce”