Goodies rejected from panel installation

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimwg

Goodies rejected from panel installation

Post by jimwg »

Greetings:

I get this alert when trying to install Weather or CPU monitor or Osage or other XFCE plugs:

"X" unexpectedly left the panel, do you want to restart it? The plugin restarted more than once in the last 60 seconds. If you press Execute the panel will try to restart the plugin otherwise it will be permanently removed from the panel.

I just upgraded XFCE 4.0.8 to 4.12 in Maya (32bit) and had downloaded the Goodies for the extras.

Thanks for any assist!

Jim in NYC
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Goodies rejected from panel installation

Post by MtnDewManiac »

jimwg wrote:I just upgraded XFCE 4.0.8 to 4.12 in Maya (32bit) and had downloaded the Goodies for the extras.
Do you mean that you actually upgraded from Xfce 4.8 to 4.12? I'm not sure when 4.0.8 would have been current - or, indeed, if there was one? - but I just checked and it looks like Xfce 4.0.0 was released over 12 years ago, lol, so if that wasn't a typo you could be dealing with some massive version incompatibilities :roll: .

Assuming for the moment that it was a typo and you were actually on Xfce version 4.8 before, what did you do to upgrade? If you did so by adding the Xfce 4.12 PPA which is maintained by the Xubuntu developers (ppa:xubuntu-dev/xfce-4.12), that PPA appears to only be valid for Ubuntu (and distros based on Ubuntu) 14.04 (Mint 17.x) and 15.04 (no comparable version of Mint). It used to have a "setting" for older Ubuntu (et cetera) versions... And, when it did, it had a warning that the user must first add their Xfce 4.10 PPA in order to not screw things up. I would guess that the warning was removed at the same time that compatibility with older versions of Ubuntu (along with Mint 13) was removed, with the assumption that newer versions of Ubuntu already had all of the updates that the 4.10 PPA contained. In fact, it looks like that Xfce 4.10 PPA no longer exists.

From reading the LTS page at the Ubuntu Wiki just now, it looks like they define their LTS to be "Enterprise Focused: We are targeting server and multiple desktop installations, where the average user is moderately risk averse." Also, "and clearly state that it is not: A Feature-Based Release: We will focus on hardening functionality of existing features, versus introducing new ones..." Perhaps the powers that be at Ubuntu (remember, that PPA is not maintained by "a private individual," but instead by the Xubuntu developers) have decided that, by this point in time (three years and some months after Ubuntu 12.04 was released), anyone who hasn't already updated to Xfce 4.10 (et cetera) isn't going to - or, alternatively, that it just makes their idea of LTS stronger if everyone is statically "on the same page," as it were. IDK.

IDK if there currently is a viable method of updating Mint 13 Xfce to (Xfce) 4.12 short of compiling everything yourself and manually dealing with the (possible, if not probable) "dependency hell" that results. I suppose you could "hoodwink" your system by manually changing all your sources to what Mint 17 uses and try doing an in-place upgrade in that fashion, but I wouldn't try it on a system that you need to keep unbroken (see numerous threads about that quick & dirty method of upgrading Mint and why it's generally considered to be a Bad Idea, lol).

Your two best options might be to purge everything that you've added (whilst trying to get a correctly functioning Xfce 4.12 (and related components) DE) and live with Xfce 4.8, or to bite the bullet and install one of the Mint 17.x Xfce versions (17.0 and 17.1 can still use the Xfce 4.12 PPA route and Xfce 17.2 comes with that version of Xfce already installed).

If adding the Xfce 4.12 PPA that is maintained by the Xubuntu developers isn't how you tried to upgrade - or if you really DO have Xfce 4.0.8 - please reply with more (okay, some :roll: ) details.

EDIT: BtW, back around 13-16 years ago when I was into T-Types and Grand Nationals, there was a man who used to sign his posts on the (Buick) T-Type/GN email list as "Jim in NYC." Are you he? If so, do you still have your Buick? Seems like it was pretty quick (well under 12 seconds in the ¼-mile, IIRC) for a street car, even for a Buick.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
jimwg

Post by jimwg »

Check out http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=201447

I'm afraid I'm not that Jim nor ever had a Buick! You sure sound like one on-the-go guy to hang with tho'!

Jim in NYC

MtnDewManiac wrote:
jimwg wrote:I just upgraded XFCE 4.0.8 to 4.12 in Maya (32bit) and had downloaded the Goodies for the extras.
Do you mean that you actually upgraded from Xfce 4.8 to 4.12? I'm not sure when 4.0.8 would have been current - or, indeed, if there was one? - but I just checked and it looks like Xfce 4.0.0 was released over 12 years ago, lol, so if that wasn't a typo you could be dealing with some massive version incompatibilities :roll: .

Assuming for the moment that it was a typo and you were actually on Xfce version 4.8 before, what did you do to upgrade? If you did so by adding the Xfce 4.12 PPA which is maintained by the Xubuntu developers (ppa:xubuntu-dev/xfce-4.12), that PPA appears to only be valid for Ubuntu (and distros based on Ubuntu) 14.04 (Mint 17.x) and 15.04 (no comparable version of Mint). It used to have a "setting" for older Ubuntu (et cetera) versions... And, when it did, it had a warning that the user must first add their Xfce 4.10 PPA in order to not screw things up. I would guess that the warning was removed at the same time that compatibility with older versions of Ubuntu (along with Mint 13) was removed, with the assumption that newer versions of Ubuntu already had all of the updates that the 4.10 PPA contained. In fact, it looks like that Xfce 4.10 PPA no longer exists.

From reading the LTS page at the Ubuntu Wiki just now, it looks like they define their LTS to be "Enterprise Focused: We are targeting server and multiple desktop installations, where the average user is moderately risk averse." Also, "and clearly state that it is not: A Feature-Based Release: We will focus on hardening functionality of existing features, versus introducing new ones..." Perhaps the powers that be at Ubuntu (remember, that PPA is not maintained by "a private individual," but instead by the Xubuntu developers) have decided that, by this point in time (three years and some months after Ubuntu 12.04 was released), anyone who hasn't already updated to Xfce 4.10 (et cetera) isn't going to - or, alternatively, that it just makes their idea of LTS stronger if everyone is statically "on the same page," as it were. IDK.

IDK if there currently is a viable method of updating Mint 13 Xfce to (Xfce) 4.12 short of compiling everything yourself and manually dealing with the (possible, if not probable) "dependency hell" that results. I suppose you could "hoodwink" your system by manually changing all your sources to what Mint 17 uses and try doing an in-place upgrade in that fashion, but I wouldn't try it on a system that you need to keep unbroken (see numerous threads about that quick & dirty method of upgrading Mint and why it's generally considered to be a Bad Idea, lol).

Your two best options might be to purge everything that you've added (whilst trying to get a correctly functioning Xfce 4.12 (and related components) DE) and live with Xfce 4.8, or to bite the bullet and install one of the Mint 17.x Xfce versions (17.0 and 17.1 can still use the Xfce 4.12 PPA route and Xfce 17.2 comes with that version of Xfce already installed).

If adding the Xfce 4.12 PPA that is maintained by the Xubuntu developers isn't how you tried to upgrade - or if you really DO have Xfce 4.0.8 - please reply with more (okay, some :roll: ) details.

EDIT: BtW, back around 13-16 years ago when I was into T-Types and Grand Nationals, there was a man who used to sign his posts on the (Buick) T-Type/GN email list as "Jim in NYC." Are you he? If so, do you still have your Buick? Seems like it was pretty quick (well under 12 seconds in the ¼-mile, IIRC) for a street car, even for a Buick.

Regards,
MDM
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

jimwg wrote:I'm afraid I'm not that Jim nor ever had a Buick! You sure sound like one on-the-go guy to hang with tho'!
No... <SIGH> That 600 horsepower street-legal Buick T-Type is long gone. So is just about everything else in terms of possessions, friends, money, hope... About all I have left is this computer, a 34-year old Honda motorcycle that isn't even roadworthy, a house that'll probably be mine for, IDK, the next month or two unless work picks up, and... Well, that's it, really. Tell you the truth, if I had a choice, I wouldn't "hang" with me, and I wouldn't wish it on someone else. I couldn't even feed you right now; I was walking home from the grocery store and ran into an old acquaintance who mentioned that it'd been a few days since he had eaten, so I ended up with about a quarter loaf of bread and a can of soup. I mean, I guess if you showed up hungrier than I was, you could have that... But I'm kind of hungry, myself, so I really hope you don't. I'm hoping to save it until tomorrow so I have something for then. We'll see. I filled up on water, maybe I can get to sleep before my stomach realizes it's been fooled. So I better turn this thing off now
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Xfce”