[SOLVED]How to type accent letters in 17.2 XFCE 32bit?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sercxulo

Post by sercxulo »

I like this version a lot, but I've looked up a lot and all the answers seem to be about how to change what kind of pre-made layout one uses.

What I'm trying to do is to be able to use the right alt key to type characters on top of the default US layout, so that in a way I can type an á Ĉ, or ŭ without having to use an alt+shift+ shift+letter combination.

In Windows, I did this with the MS Keyboard Layout Creator, but I do not need a program to do it for me.

If anyone can explain to me how to do such a thing, such as what files to edit, it would be most appreciated.

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: How do I create a custom keyboard layout in 17.2 XFCE 32

Post by Pjotr »

Use the following layout: US international with dead keys.

Thën ít's êàsỹ tö typé dêäd kèys.... :)

Procedure: simply type the accent (it won't show, because it's "dead"), then type the letter you want the accent on. Easy as can be.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
sercxulo

Post by sercxulo »

Pjotr wrote:Use the following layout: US international with dead keys.

Thën ít's êàsỹ tö typé dêäd kèys.... :)

Procedure: simply type the accent (it won't show, because it's "dead"), then type the letter you want the accent on. Easy as can be.
This is good advice, works for many letters, and I thank you :mrgreen: , but for someone reason does not make ŭ. Websites have said to use ( or ), but both do not work for any vowels. A symbol like ě would work I think, but the keyboard does not put that on u.

How do I change these things?

Thank you. :mrgreen:
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

This should work, but it requires three extra keys:
To get ŭ, press Alt Gr + Shift + 9, release all three keys and type u

If your keyboard only shows Alt and not Alt Gr: use the Alt key on the right of the spacebar.

Ĭt wŏrks ŏn ŏthĕr kĕys ăs wĕll. :)
sercxulo

Post by sercxulo »

Pjotr wrote:This should work, but it requires three extra keys:
To get ŭ, press Alt Gr + Shift + 9, release all three keys and type u

If your keyboard only shows Alt and not Alt Gr: use the Alt key on the right of the spacebar.

Ĭt wŏrks ŏn ŏthĕr kĕys ăs wĕll. :)
This is what I tried, but it did not work. How do I fix that?

The keyboard layout is "English (international AltGr dead keys)". Is this the wrong version?

Thank you.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi sercxulo,

Would "Kcharselect" type program, and or would an on-screen virtual keyboard help with this, like "ubuntu-keyboard" has various language packs, or "onboard", or "literki", ? "Lxkeymap", "kbdd", "gxneur", "xxkb" switch keyboard layouts easily and their are related helpful "indicators" to let you know which you are using, 'Console-setup" and "console-setup-mini"

There is also "Autokey" that can automatically enter various text into any application.

Quickly Type Special Characters Ubuntu
http://www.ohbuntu.blogspot.com/2010/02 ... buntu.html

Linux OS Character maps
http://fsymbols.com/character-maps/linux/

Hope this helps ...

"KCharSelect" is a tool to select special characters from all installed fonts and copy them into the clipboard. You may need to install fonts for whatever characters you want or need to use from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)
Kcharselect.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

sercxulo wrote:The keyboard layout is "English (international AltGr dead keys)". Is this the wrong version?
Possibly. I have a slightly different layout: English (US international with dead keys). I advise to try that one.
sercxulo

Post by sercxulo »

Thank you for help. I have solved the problem.

In both layouts, the ˘ did not work with the compose key on.

It created strange behavior.

Also, I have noticed that in the calculator, they used ^ differently. One would create exponent without symbol, the other would not.

I have chosen to use AltGr with dead keys because a space has not been needed to type things "^'`~. In the other, I had to type the character, then press space, but without use of right alt key. Without the compose key, in the other, it did not take accents at all, and only used right alt key to make prechosen letters.

Behavior is still strange, where pressing alt gives ^ over letter but alt shift gives ¼, but pressing alt with 9 gives ‘ and alt-shift gives ˘ over letter, but is improvement, so I accept. :mrgreen:

Thank you.

Return to “Xfce”