can't go back to Xfwm

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
barnics

can't go back to Xfwm

Post by barnics »

I've enabled compiz, but I can't revert back to Xfwm. I can't see Xfwm in session and start up, and, to be honest, I'm all out of ideas.

Any help in this regard would be much appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: can't go back to Xfwm

Post by richyrich »

It's called xfwm4 , and you could also try xfdesktop, like this: (might need a restart)

Code: Select all

xfwm4 --replace
barnics

Post by barnics »

thanks for the advice.
barnics

Post by barnics »

richyrich wrote:It's called xfwm4 , and you could also try xfdesktop, like this: (might need a restart)

xfwm4 --replace
Hang on, sorry, n00b question: so, now that I've run that terminal code does that mean I'm running xfwm4, xfdesktop, or are they one and the same?
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

barnics wrote:
richyrich wrote:It's called xfwm4 , and you could also try xfdesktop, like this: (might need a restart)

xfwm4 --replace
Hang on, sorry, n00b question: so, now that I've run that terminal code does that mean I'm running xfwm4, xfdesktop, or are they one and the same?
AfaIK, xfdesktop is the desktop manager and xfwm4 is the window manager. According to

http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/start
The xfdesktop application manages the desktop backdrop. It sets a backdrop image and/or color and it can pop up an applications menu and a list of all running applications when you click on the desktop with the right or middle mouse button respectively. As of Xfce 4.4, xfdesktop also draws icons on the desktop.

The xfdesktop package installs a settings dialog for use with the Settings Manager. From this dialog you can change the backdrop image and color and change settings for the menu and the window list.
...and...
(xfwm4) Handles the placement of windows on the screen.
IIRC, xfwm4 also handles window decorations - if you suddenly notice that your windows no longer have maximize, minimize, and close buttons (for example), it's a good bet that xfwm4 has crashed or is otherwise no longer running and restarting it (via terminal) will make things right again.

BtW, you mentioned that you enabled compiz. That is not an Xfce component. Some distros' developers - such as Mint's - have added it to the version of their distro that contains Xfce due to user requests. Both compiz and xfwm4 are compositing window managers; IDK what will happen if one tries to have them both running at the same time - as they both (more or less) handle the same tasks, I wonder if there will be conflicts, delays, and possible crashes (of one, the other, both, or other components) as a result. Or do you mean that you've already figured out how to disable compiz - and are just left without a(ny) running window manager at that point?

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
barnics

Post by barnics »

I've removed compiz from the list of start up programs

Return to “Xfce”