XFCE 17.2 Appearance window crashes

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fritx

Re: XFCE 17.2 Appearance window crashes

Post by Fritx »

bluethirdup wrote:numix themes and numix icons (numix, numix circle, numix bevel) installed.
Numix circle crashes here, numix theme and the icon-themes numix and numix bevel work fine,
also the geybird theme (shimmer theme) and the gnome-brave-icon-theme.

I really like the MintArtwork and with a nice dark panel (with light fonts) for Xfce I probably would not use other themes.
tempus13

Post by tempus13 »

Similar issue here. I upgraded to 17.2 and now the appearance window crashes after a few seconds. If I use the xfce4-appearance-settings command at the terminal I get the following:

(xfce4-appearance-settings:16464): GLib-ERROR **: /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.40.2/./glib/gmem.c:103: failed to allocate 364492 bytes
Trace/breakpoint trap

I am not sure where to go next on this one.

Thanks.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

I never deleted any icon sets. Just changed to another. For me crashes was when Gnome icons was active.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
ravirexrules

Appearance box in xfce disappears after opening

Post by ravirexrules »

Hi!

I am new to this. Just installed xfce 17.2, and my appearance dialog disappears after staying open for about 3 seconds. Can you please help? It was working fine yesterday and changed themes, icons, etc. Today I just added ambience and raidance themes for xfce and icons and the problem seems to happen. Any help is good, thanks!
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Appearance box in xfce disappears after opening

Post by karlchen »

Hello, ravirexrules.

Sorry to say so, but I cannot offer any help. Yet, I can confirm that this seems to be a general problem introduced by xfce 4.12 on Ubuntu 14.04 / Mint 17.2. I can reproduce it here reliably.

Code: Select all

karl@unimatrix0 ~ $ ls -l /usr/bin/xfce4-appearance-settings
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 63344 Mar  3  2015 /usr/bin/xfce4-appearance-settings
karl@unimatrix0 ~ $ 
$  xfce4-appearance-settings --version
xfce4-appearance-settings 4.12.0 (Xfce 4.12)
karl@unimatrix0 ~ $ 
karl@unimatrix0 ~ $ xfce4-appearance-settings 
GLib: Cannot convert message: Could not open converter from 'UTF-8' to 'ANSI_X3.4-1968'

(xfce4-appearance-settings:6219): GLib-ERROR **: /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.40.2/./glib/gmem.c:133: failed to allocate 2048 bytes
Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)
karl@unimatrix0 ~ $ 
Related thread in this forum, but no solution found:

Relevant Launchpad bug report, but incorrectly estimated as happening only "occasionally":
Bug 1458678: xfce appearance settings windows crashes occasionally
Added a comment in Launchpad, confirming it is a bug, plus pointing to this thread to support more users are affected.

Cheers,
Karl
--
P.S.:
If you do not mind, I will add this thread to the mentioned thread about the same problem:
Thus we would have everything which has been reported about the problem so far in a single thread.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
draghan

Post by draghan »

This is my first post on this forum, so I should say "hello" to everyone. So... Hello. :)

I've got the same problem with appearance window. I've noticed that when I run in terminal

Code: Select all

sudo xfce4-appearance-settings
window don't disappear and I can make changes of themes, icons and other stuff - changes are visible after re-login.

I've also noticed, when I change icons and theme to defaults, I could run appearance window from settings panel as usual and I could normally change themes and when I clicked 'icons' tab then window crashed - but this could be only an coincidence.

I'm hope this could help somebody.

Best regards, draghan.
modele62
Level 2
Level 2

Post by modele62 »

Up...

hello everyone,

I just upgraded my notebook to Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE and everything worked fine with the appearance-settings function until i installed a new theme (light-themes, from the software manager):

(xfce4-appearance-settings:3345): GLib-ERROR **: /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.40.2/./glib/gmem.c:133: failed to allocate...

First i uninstalled this new theme but xfce4-appearance-settings still crashed after a few seconds, even without any interaction.

Then i restarted the XFCE session (logout/login) and launched xfce4-appearance-settings which crashed again but with a different error message:

xfce4-appearance-settings
GLib (gthread-posix.c): Unexpected error from C library during 'malloc': Cannot allocate memory. Aborting.
Aborted

Same error after a reboot.

Considering the previous post dates back to several months, i'm afraid the bug hasn't been corrected yet ?
Nicolas

Custom laptop (i7 / 16 Gb RAM / 256 Gb NVMe + 2 Tb SSD) LM 21.2 Cinnamon, LM 21.2 XFCE, Fedora 39 KDE
Clevo W670 (i5 / 8 Gb RAM / 2 Tb SSHD) LM 20.3 XFCE
Acer Swift 1 (Pentium N4200 / 4 Gb RAM / 128 Gb SSD) LM 21.2 XFCE
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Sad, but true, the last update in the Launchpad bug report mentioned a few posts above, xfce appearance settings windows crashes occasionally, reads:
[url=https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xfce4-settings/+bug/1458678/comments/9]Launchpad Janitor[/url] on 2015-09-13 wrote:Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.
Changed in moka-icon-theme (Ubuntu):
Changed in xfce4-settings (Ubuntu):
To me this suggests that so far no-one has started looking into and working on this bug, yet. :cry:
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
modele62
Level 2
Level 2

Post by modele62 »

ByeByeXP wrote:
Only known workaround: reduce the number of installed icon themes. Since the upgrade to xfce 4.12 also installed ~12 new icon themes not present in xfce 4.10, (re)moving an equal number of unused icon themes (from /usr/share/icons) to a backup folder (ie /usr/share/icons-bkup) might just do the trick for you (it did for me, anyway) ...
Hi,
Thank you for the tip but it doesn't seem to work on my machine :-(
Did you remove icons only ? Or themes too ?
Nicolas

Custom laptop (i7 / 16 Gb RAM / 256 Gb NVMe + 2 Tb SSD) LM 21.2 Cinnamon, LM 21.2 XFCE, Fedora 39 KDE
Clevo W670 (i5 / 8 Gb RAM / 2 Tb SSHD) LM 20.3 XFCE
Acer Swift 1 (Pentium N4200 / 4 Gb RAM / 128 Gb SSD) LM 21.2 XFCE
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, modele62.
Icon themes. Each subfolder in the folder /usr/share/icons holds one icon theme.
Karl
Lifeline

Return to “Xfce”